Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Pension tax help needed

UK Pension tax help needed

Old Apr 8th 2019, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Katyonice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Pension tax help needed

Hi folks .. I'm the USC and my husband is UKC with green card. This will our first US tax filing year with his getting his UK State Pension. We used TurboTax Deluxe to do our taxes and can figure out how to get his pension income in using a substitute 1099r (form 4852) but it insists on a Federal ID number for the source. Is this a TurboTax issue or is there something I am missing. When I look at the Form 4852 it has a block for it but says "if known"
how does everyone else do this? Help please!

Last edited by Katyonice; Apr 8th 2019 at 10:11 pm. Reason: Clarify which country taxes we are doing
Old Apr 8th 2019, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension tax help needed

Originally Posted by Katyonice
Hi folks .. I'm the USC and my husband is UKC with green card. This will our first US tax filing year with his getting his UK State Pension. We used TurboTax Deluxe to do our taxes and can figure out how to get his pension income in using a substitute 1099r (form 4852) but it insists on a Federal ID number for the source. Is this a TurboTax issue or is there something I am missing. When I look at the Form 4852 it has a block for it but says "if known"

Katy..you seem to have the right approach and/or make sure that line 16 on the 1040 gets populated. But you're saying that T.T. won't let you move on without the ID number? It's possible you can override that in Forms Mode.
As long as it gets reported somewhere as income I'm sure it's ok. I've put things in the wrong places tons of times.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 8th 2019 at 10:26 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 10:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I recall it going on line 21, “other income,” with the description “UK pension.” No need to mess around with a substitute 1099.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. Nutmegger. That can work too.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:12 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I same across this. If you use the Turbotax help search....I think you can just put a string of 1s in for the reference.

Or 9s.

Or one of those pesky digits.

Use the Turbotax help. Lots of people asking the same question.

I did it that way. Return happily accepted by the powers-that-be!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Tried the 9s, the 1s, and 0s, couldn't get it to work with any of them.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:18 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Tried the 9s, the 1s, and 0s, couldn't get it to work with any of them.
All I can tell you is that I used TT Deluxe too and hit the same problem and went online and it said...11-1111111

Just checked on the copy I keep in my records...that was it. Field 6 on 4852.

Definitely.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you tried Form Mode yet?
Or Line 21?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:26 am
Wondering if...

Here you go...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/42...stitute-1099-r

Explains about the 11-1111111 but also explains you can just do line 21 and tells you how to do it in TT.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

I recall it going on line 21, “other income,” with the description “UK pension.” No need to mess around with a substitute 1099.
I will look again .. is that putting it in manually or will TT offer that line for me to put it in on?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:19 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I will look again .. is that putting it in manually or will TT offer that line for me to put it in on?
It is a part of the form — other income, line 21. You can then type in what the “other “ is.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: UK Pension tax help needed

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Here you go...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/42...stitute-1099-r

Explains about the 11-1111111 but also explains you can just do line 21 and tells you how to do it in TT.
is the info in the link still valid for 2018 tax forms as it was a tear ago?
I'm getting a stress headache and I HATE TAXES!😖
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Try Form Mode....
Old Apr 9th 2019, 5:33 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I use the method in post #3, seems my return has been accepted OK.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
I use the method in post #3, seems my return has been accepted OK.
Me too. You need to switch to forms mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.