Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC affordable on this transfer?

NYC affordable on this transfer?

Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:41 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 33
Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NYC affordable on this transfer?

Hi there,

About to apply for a job with my company's US office in Connecticut. (FYI I'm a British citizen).

I'm confident I'll get it, as me and the employer have been talking about it for months and she told me to apply last week. Having said that, you never know, they might give it to some else!

Anyway, I'm already thinking ahead. Obviously my move would be based on a L1 visa. How soon can I change to a H1B visa or even a green card?

Also, the salary will be roughly $45k. I'm only applying for the job, as I'm crazy about NYC and I want to experience the american dream for however long I can.

My plan is to live in Harlem, near 125th Street Station. The train to my CN office, then only takes 45mins.

On this salary, is it affordable to live in Harlem? It's also, very close to the heart of the city

What do you think? Good plan?
Reena81 is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:54 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa to H1B or Green Card

Originally Posted by Reena81 View Post
How soon can I change to a H1B visa or even a green card?
Why on earth would you want to switch to an H-1B? You can go from an L-1A/B to a GC easier than or, at least, as easy as from an H-1B.


Also, the salary will be roughly $45k. I'm only applying for the job, as I'm crazy about NYC and I want to experience the american dream for however long I can.

My plan is to live in Harlem, near 125th Street Station. The train to my CN office, then only takes 45mins.
Interesting, but irrelevant and not immigration related.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:10 pm
  #3  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by Reena81 View Post

On this salary, is it affordable to live in Harlem? It's also, very close to the heart of the city

What do you think? Good plan?
I think this is the heart of your question. You can post your visa-specific questions in the Immigration forum but you will find much more about the cost of living in NYC in the USA forum (where your thread is now). In fact, there have been two recent discussions, one of them about Harlem.
Happy hunting! Let us know if you are having trouble with the search feature.
meauxna is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:41 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 101
washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Wow....if the salary is really about $45K I doubt very much you'd be able to afford to live! That is peanuts for the area you are talking about (in my opinion)and the cost of living in the US is not as cheap as you think...it is probably comparable at best after accounting for everything.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
washsaint is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:56 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,105
AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Not only do you need to negotiate salary, but you need to look at how much their medical insurance is going to cost you.
AmerLisa is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:38 pm
  #6  
Senior Moment
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

I live in NYC now and there is no way in hell I would ever advise anyone to move here that would be earning less than $50k.
Rent will eat up most of your salary, with food and bills taking much of the rest. Also assuming you'll have health insurance through your company, you'll need to know how much your contributions to that will shave off your paycheck/cheque.

Another thing to think about is that the work culture over here is VERY different to that in the UK. I won't go into details on here as it's too lengthy but I'm sure google, or indeed, the search function on this website would turn up some interesting reading on the subject.

Also, hate to burst your bubble, but the 'american dream' doesn't exist. The myth that America is super-cheap is a myth. It was, once. But not anymore. Sure, come and find out for yourself, you might have a whale of a time but being earning below the average income in NYC really isn't that much fun.

Last edited by Sarah; Jun 19th 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Sarah is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:44 pm
  #7  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,087
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

If you live in NYC, you will be liable for NY city and state taxes -- and your monthly commute is going to take about $250 off your salary for a start. You might be better served to think about living in CT (not that CT is cheap!) and going into the city at the weekend. By the time you're home from work on weeknights there isn't going to be much time left to get downtown and enjoy the city anyway.
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:00 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Scott33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 108
Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Was there any mention of health insurance to go with the salary? It does seem a little low.
Scott33 is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:02 pm
  #9  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,809
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

I wouldn't do it.

It would be a shit and miserable experience, being broke and alone in a foreign country.

You'd spend all the money on rent, food and commuting that you'd not have anything left over to experience the fun of the place that you wanted.

You also don't say what other benefits are thrown in, but probably not very much considering the low number...you don't want to be paying out much for medical insurance or you'd have even less cash to play with.
Bob is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:30 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 33
Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I wouldn't do it.

It would be a shit and miserable experience, being broke and alone in a foreign country.

You'd spend all the money on rent, food and commuting that you'd not have anything left over to experience the fun of the place that you wanted.

You also don't say what other benefits are thrown in, but probably not very much considering the low number...you don't want to be paying out much for medical insurance or you'd have even less cash to play with.
Wow, thanks for your posts! A real eye opener!

I have to say, I dont know much about medical insurance benefits. I take it this isnt usually included in job perks then?

Regarding the rent, I wasn't looking to rent a whole flat myself. I've looked all over the net and you can get flat/house shares for $500-$600 per month. This seems pretty reasonable to me. Which would also leave a little bit left to save and enjoy the city.

I know I may not have time to enjoy NYC during the nights, but its still there on the weekends. Based on the rent above, I'm confident I'll be ok though...

Going back to medical insurance... Lets say its not included. How much does this usually cost?

Cheers.
Reena81 is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:32 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 33
Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L1 Visa to H1B or Green Card

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
Why on earth would you want to switch to an H-1B? You can go from an L-1A/B to a GC easier than or, at least, as easy as from an H-1B.
Ian
Sorry, I didn't realise you could do this. Just read a post on another forum, which led me to think down this path.

Soooo, I'm not sure of L1 visa allows me to say for 5/7 years. But lets say I love US and would like a GC, based on a L1 visa, how soon can I apply?

Am I allowed to go back to the UK at any point too?

cheers.
Reena81 is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:36 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 33
Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

Another thing to think about is that the work culture over here is VERY different to that in the UK. I won't go into details on here as it's too lengthy but I'm sure google, or indeed, the search function on this website would turn up some interesting reading on the subject.
Could you tell me a little more about this? I'd actually be working for Virgin company. So work culture within Branson's world is very different already
Reena81 is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:41 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 33
Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
I think this is the heart of your question. You can post your visa-specific questions in the Immigration forum but you will find much more about the cost of living in NYC in the USA forum (where your thread is now). In fact, there have been two recent discussions, one of them about Harlem.
Happy hunting! Let us know if you are having trouble with the search feature.
Thank you
Reena81 is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:44 pm
  #14  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,809
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by Reena81 View Post

Regarding the rent, I wasn't looking to rent a whole flat myself. I've looked all over the net and you can get flat/house shares for $500-$600 per month. This seems pretty reasonable to me. Which would also leave a little bit left to save and enjoy the city.
Yeah, but how much of a tiny shit hole are you talking about? I had a mate living in Brighton, MA, in a bargain of a flat share, only paying $400 a month including utilities.

What he didn't say first off, he was sharing with 6 other people and his room was a closet, I've taken shits bigger. Also didn't include a parking spot.

If you live down town, you probably don't want a car, but if you want to explore, you probably will and would also depend if your work location has a easy way of getting to from the train station.

Medical Insurance, should be offered by work, but they may or may not subsiding it, so you could pay nothing every month for it, or anything up to $1500 a month. Then you've got co-pays, deductibles and all the other health associated costs.

As for visa, employer sponsors you for greencard, not you. L1 is better than H1 and is quicker to get a greencard. It's something you want in writing that they will do and within x number of months of you starting the job.

There's a wiki entry about things people have asked for and things to consider asking for in a relocation package, you should probably have a look.
Bob is offline  
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:55 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 33
Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Yeah, but how much of a tiny shit hole are you talking about? I had a mate living in Brighton, MA, in a bargain of a flat share, only paying $400 a month including utilities.

What he didn't say first off, he was sharing with 6 other people and his room was a closet, I've taken shits bigger. Also didn't include a parking spot.

If you live down town, you probably don't want a car, but if you want to explore, you probably will and would also depend if your work location has a easy way of getting to from the train station.

Medical Insurance, should be offered by work, but they may or may not subsiding it, so you could pay nothing every month for it, or anything up to $1500 a month. Then you've got co-pays, deductibles and all the other health associated costs.

As for visa, employer sponsors you for greencard, not you. L1 is better than H1 and is quicker to get a greencard. It's something you want in writing that they will do and within x number of months of you starting the job.

There's a wiki entry about things people have asked for and things to consider asking for in a relocation package, you should probably have a look.
I actually live with 6 people now and in a box room So I'm willing to compromise until I get my bearings together and understand what my options are once I'm out there.

Works is very close to South Norwalk station, so only a 5 min walk. Was thinking about having my car shipped over, just so I can visit my family out in LI. (But, might actually be cheaper me selling my car here and then buying an ol banger out there...). Anyway, thats not a biggie for me right now.

Thanks for the tip about the relocation package thread. I'll have a search for that one - sounds really useful - (always glad to visit this forum!). Didnt realise medical insurance was that bloody expensive!

Brilliant news about the GC too. How soon can I apply? Do I get dual nationality? (Am I doing you head in?)

Thanks in advance.

Reena.
Reena81 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.