Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC affordable on this transfer?

NYC affordable on this transfer?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:58 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think you are misunderstanding us...it's nothing to do with whether you can afford it or not. In the UK you get the money off goods without having to have a coupon...therefore everyone can obtain the discount. Here you have to clip the coupon, carry it with you and remember to hand it to the cashier...no coupon...tough luck.
You get money off when there are sales here. The coupon is just an added bonus. At Costco you don't need the coupon even though they have a coupon book. They automatically take it off.

I understand where you are coming from but I feel like a few of you have knocked it when I am trying to help someone who will be new to the USA and especially to New York City.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But is this a store discount or a manufacturer's discount? I get the store specials without having to clip a coupon, but I do have to use the coupon if I want a manufacturer's special. And as every little helps these days, I clip anything that I use!
You usually have to clip coupons to get discount in lots of stores...especially department stores. Many mall shops give you a coupon to use with your next purchase.

Originally Posted by nethead
I'd rather they reduced the price of the product than a stupid system of cutting coupons to make people think they are saving money.
Exactly.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

I think you are misunderstanding us...it's nothing to do with whether you can afford it or not. In the UK you get the money off goods without having to produce a coupon...therefore everyone can obtain the discount. Here you have to clip the coupon, carry it with you and remember to hand it to the cashier...no coupon...tough luck.
Yeah, we found that in Canada, too. There are other, regular "in store" deals to be had, but to save the real money you need the coupons. I worked in retail while I was at uni (Iceland, previously home of BOGOF, although I think they've moved away from that now), and every couple of weeks we would receive a brand new package with hundreds of new tags for the incoming promotions. Over here, the system protects the retailer much more because lots of people either don't get the coupons or forget they have them - instead of everyone getting the deal, maybe only half the shoppers do.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by penguinbar
You get money off when there are sales here. The coupon is just an added bonus. At Costco you don't need the coupon even though they have a coupon book. They automatically take it off.

I understand where you are coming from but I feel like a few of you have knocked it when I am trying to help someone who will be new to the USA and especially to New York City.
I don't think people are "knocking" it per se - it's just that the system in NA is a little more time consuming for the shopper, and can at times be a bit of a faf. There's still money to be saved, and it still makes sense to do it.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You usually have to clip coupons to get discount in lots of stores...especially department stores. Many mall shops give you a coupon to use with your next purchase.
:
We're at cross purposes -- I was talking purely about groceries. I think every supermarket around here has "clipless" coupons these days, but as I said, I will use a manufacturer's coupon for a product I regularly use, especially as the supermarket usually doubles the amount.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aml1982
Yeah, we found that in Canada, too. There are other, regular "in store" deals to be had, but to save the real money you need the coupons. I worked in retail while I was at uni (Iceland, previously home of BOGOF, although I think they've moved away from that now), and every couple of weeks we would receive a brand new package with hundreds of new tags for the incoming promotions. Over here, the system protects the retailer much more because lots of people either don't get the coupons or forget they have them - instead of everyone getting the deal, maybe only half the shoppers do.
I usually ask the cashier if they have any promotions before she ring the items up. Once I was told by a cashier in a major dept store that there was but I would have to line up at customer service for a coupon. What's that about?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:06 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

But is this a store discount or a manufacturer's discount? I get the store specials without having to clip a coupon, but I do have to use the coupon if I want a manufacturer's special. And as every little helps these days, I clip anything that I use!
I combine the store discount and the manufacturers.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aml1982
I used to love taking my mum grocery shopping, she'd pick up something on BOGOF and say, I'll buy these and you can have the free one bless her.
SUPER MODERATOR

We're at cross purposes -- I was talking purely about groceries. I think every supermarket around here has "clipless" coupons these days, but as I said, I will use a manufacturer's coupon for a product I regularly use, especially as the supermarket usually doubles the amount.
What I do like about US supermarkets is if they overcharge you...you usually get the item free or half price. Or at least they do around here.

Unfortunately they don't double them in Manhattan. I have done pretty well though. If some people don't want to bother than that's fine. I'll keep couponing!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

What I do like about US supermarkets is if they overcharge you...you usually get the item free or half price. Or at least they do around here.
Here too, I love that! Got myself a flat of annuals last week because it was wrongly marked.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather they reduced the price of the product than a stupid system of cutting coupons to make people think they are saving money.
but they figure most won't, so they can advertise a lower price and look good doing it and know it won't make a difference.

It annoys the snot out of me, but I do look out for coupons, mostly for nappies and the like...but some stores do make it a lot easier than others.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.