Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NY tax calculator

NY tax calculator

Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

jack.bauer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NY tax calculator

hey guys, i've been trying to calculate what my take home salary would be if i took up this job opportunity in manhattan. there are various calculators online but as you already know they ask very specific questions like federal allowances and residency status etc which im not too familiar with.

anyone know of a what if calculator that can approximate to the nearest $100 without needing to feed every little detail?

just trying to project income with expenses to visualise my position. any other tips would be most appreciated! thanks
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NY tax calculator

You need that info for the result to be accurate, if all you're looking for is a ballpark figure, then figure it's the same as if you're living in London.

Just add in the extra hassle of a second state return to fill in if you lived in either NJ or CT and commuted in instead.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack.bauer
i've been trying to calculate what my take home salary would be if i took up this job opportunity in manhattan.
Figure about 67% for your take home pay.

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Figure about 67% for your take home pay.

Ian
Thanks Ian. How does that figure vary if I'm married with two kids?
And how does that vary as you earn more? Eg 40k plus earners in UK pay higher income tax
Old Oct 29th 2012, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian. How does that figure vary if I'm married with two kids?
And how does that vary as you earn more? Eg 40k plus earners in UK pay higher income tax
It's the same. You pay a percentage up to x dollar amount and then pay another percentage on the next band of earnings, just like in the UK.

Stuff like 401K and medical insurance will reduce the taxable income, but you didn't want to put in all the details and just wanted a ballpark figure, which you've got.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 12:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How does that figure vary if I'm married with two kids?
As Bob says, it's much the same.

And how does that vary as you earn more?
Again, it doesn't really... the more you earn, the more is taken out. The percentage of take-home pay stays pretty much the same across all wage brackets except the very poor and the über-wealthy.

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2012, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
It's the same. You pay a percentage up to x dollar amount and then pay another percentage on the next band of earnings, just like in the UK.

Stuff like 401K and medical insurance will reduce the taxable income, but you didn't want to put in all the details and just wanted a ballpark figure, which you've got.
fair enough, thanks bob