Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Now they've really P*ss*d me off

Now they've really P*ss*d me off

Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:08 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now they've really P*ss*d me off

I guess you live amongst xenophobes! Get them fired up by flying a Texas flag over the US one; there are 2 facts about Tx - they are the only state which can fly their state flage over the US and they can also concede from the union anytime they want should they want to.

The next time they knock on the door - mention the fact they are trespassing...as there is no easement for the HOA to come onto your property!! Check the covenants, is there anything about flying flags?!?!

Find something with skidmarks and shove that up the pole!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:14 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Stick a burning cross on the lawn tonight mate, it'll illuminate the flag nicely and make them think twice about coming round again

Failing that, make sure you happen to be cleaning your Colt Python the next time they come to the door
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Stick a burning cross on the lawn tonight mate, it'll illuminate the flag nicely and make them think twice about coming round again

Failing that, make sure you happen to be cleaning your Colt Python the next time they come to the door
Next time I see them coming to the door (I'm expecting a visit tomorrow post meeting) I shall be wearing my 1911 on my hip and have my AR-15 slung over my shoulder whilst wearing my finest hunting gear. I may even make an off the cuff comment about trespass laws in Florida and all that if they get uppity.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:51 am
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by blaze
...(I would just waited until my husband got home and then proceeded to tell him how much America sucked! )
ROTFL

I do that all the time with my USC wife - she thinks I'm just a whiney git but given the recent conversation about customer service in the US it just makes me sad and I have to laugh.

Haven't had the pleasure of HOAs yet (just moved into a new neighbourhood) but the previous owners left a US flag flying in the back garden on a 20' pole so that should be fun! There's also a flag for the front but that ain't going out too!

Martin
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your meeting goes well. Don't forget to remind them that yesterday they instructed you to do something that actually goes against regulations when they told you to fly the American Flag above the Union Jack on the same staff.

In this very useful piece Celsius posted yesterday The United States Flag: Federal Law Relating to Display and Associated Questions it states in Subsection 7 (g):

"When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are
to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The
flags should be of approximately equal size. International
usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above
that of another nation in time of peace.
"

Good Luck!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

"When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are
to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The
flags should be of approximately equal size. International
usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above
that of another nation in time of peace.
"
Doesn't sound like a time of peace to be though
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

If you have any liberal leaning local newspapers I would give them a call now...
AWP we may not live anywhere near you but we're all behind you (cowering)
Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I guess you live amongst xenophobes! Get them fired up by flying a Texas flag over the US one; there are 2 facts about Tx - they are the only state which can fly their state flage over the US and they can also concede from the union anytime they want should they want to.

The next time they knock on the door - mention the fact they are trespassing...as there is no easement for the HOA to come onto your property!! Check the covenants, is there anything about flying flags?!?!

Find something with skidmarks and shove that up the pole!!
The Texas flag thing is an urban ledgend....

Source - Texas flag code....

§ 3100.055. Display on Flagpole or Flagstaff With Flag of United States

If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;
the flags should be of approximately equal size;
the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
the flag of the United States should be hoisted before the state flag is hoisted; and
the state flag should be lowered before the flag of the United States is lowered.
Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, § 7.001, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

Not sure about conceeding from the union though....

- Tim
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:11 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Brief Update:

As of yet no re-visit. However I have since discovered there is an HOA meeting being held tonite. I may just have to attend.

I've decided to take the offensive in this war of petty mindedness...and following on from what Duncan said I'm off round the estate this afternoon to take photos of all the US flags I can find on cars, windows, license plates, stupid stickers, mail boxes etc and I shall present them tonite at the meeting and demand they be all removed as they are in violation of the federal rules on the flag....

Bloody minded bureaucracy? I was in the army and police for god sake...I can show them Bloody minded bureaucracy they wont believe.
Might I suggest you fly a new flag...?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
flag.pdf (2.4 KB, 195 views)
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Come on AWP we are all waiting to find out what happened at the HOA meeting last night. There hasn't been a cliffhanger as good as this since 'who shot JR'.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
wrong

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

sorry timfountain beat me too it.

Last edited by Manc; Mar 17th 2006 at 2:00 am.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Sit Rep will follow shortly. There was definitely some skirmishing between advance scouts and much politcal posturing went on while the forces are mobilised. The main battles are yet to come I beleive.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot fly the Texas flag *above* the US flag, but you *can* fly them at the same height if you use different flagpoles -- which is inherent in saying that if two poles are used, they should be the same height.

A lot of the time, people fly only the Texas flag and NOT the US flag, which is also permissible.

We do not have the right to secede from the Union as was proved by the Civil War. However, we *do* retain the right from the treaty Texas signed to join the US, to split into five states. This would obviously increase the number of senators and perhaps the number of House Representatives at the federal level, but other than that, there's no real advantage.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:16 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You cannot fly the Texas flag *above* the US flag, but you *can* fly them at the same height if you use different flagpoles -- which is inherent in saying that if two poles are used, they should be the same height.
Would two Czechs do?
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Would two Czechs do?
So long they were exactly the same height.

Personally I'd prefer two Brits or two Irishmen. Just imagine the whinging they'd do about having to hold the US flag all day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.