Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Now this is a deal...

Now this is a deal...

Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now this is a deal...

The lease on my apartment expired last month, and if I moved to another unit I would be treated as a new customer and eligible for the specials, so I decided to move to a 2 bed instead, since if I have to switch to a student visa after November, I figured I would always have the option to get a roommate. Anyways, I was paying $699 for a basic 1 bed apt no frills.

The one I signed up for was $859 a month, 2 bedrooms, lake view, huge porch, fireplace, the works.. They gave me $300 off for the first 2 months and then 40 a month after that. Rent being $819 ultimately.

So off I go to sign my new lease on moving day, am rushing around and pay absolutely no attention to the figures on there and sit down later that night and glance through it and realise that it says market rent $599 with the rebates on the addendum like they had discussed with me. Big letters at the top - THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING DOCUMENT ONCE SIGNED.

After battling with my conscience, lol, I head back down there the next day and by this time they have discovered their mistake and openly acknowledge that they cant do anything about it, but that the lady I dealt with had gotten into trouble etc. I told them I had come down there willing to correct it and sign another lease. The manager told me that he was refreshed at my honesty (!) and would let it stand as it is.

Talk about a break!!!!! So to reward myself on my new found excess funds each month I rented a washer and dryer from Aarons - yippeeeee no more lugging around bin bags to the laundry every week. Instead I get to use the crappy washing machines and ruin my clothes in my own apartment now.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now this is a deal...

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
The lease on my apartment expired last month, and if I moved to another unit I would be treated as a new customer and eligible for the specials, so I decided to move to a 2 bed instead, since if I have to switch to a student visa after November, I figured I would always have the option to get a roommate. Anyways, I was paying $699 for a basic 1 bed apt no frills.

The one I signed up for was $859 a month, 2 bedrooms, lake view, huge porch, fireplace, the works.. They gave me $300 off for the first 2 months and then 40 a month after that. Rent being $819 ultimately.

So off I go to sign my new lease on moving day, am rushing around and pay absolutely no attention to the figures on there and sit down later that night and glance through it and realise that it says market rent $599 with the rebates on the addendum like they had discussed with me. Big letters at the top - THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING DOCUMENT ONCE SIGNED.

After battling with my conscience, lol, I head back down there the next day and by this time they have discovered their mistake and openly acknowledge that they cant do anything about it, but that the lady I dealt with had gotten into trouble etc. I told them I had come down there willing to correct it and sign another lease. The manager told me that he was refreshed at my honesty (!) and would let it stand as it is.

Talk about a break!!!!! So to reward myself on my new found excess funds each month I rented a washer and dryer from Aarons - yippeeeee no more lugging around bin bags to the laundry every week. Instead I get to use the crappy washing machines and ruin my clothes in my own apartment now.
Honesty is always the best policy, I am pleased for you.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Honesty is always the best policy, I am pleased for you.

Does that follow for politicians as well?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:19 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one! Keep seeing surveys that show that brits are the least honest nation in europe and all that cr@p so good to see someone being honest and benefitting!

I try to get my kids to do the right thing. My 2 year old is always picking up nickels and dimes off the pavement, and the other day we were in starbucks and he saw this middle aged, well to do looking lady drop a quarter out of her change. He looked at it, looked at me, points and shouted "moneys"

"Yes", I say, "its that ladies - can you give it back to her?", so off he trots, picks it up and wanders over to her table to give it back with a "you dwop dis" explanation. I kind of half expected her to tell him to keep it, but she just snatched it out of his hand, shoved it in her pocket and turned her back on him without a word. Poor little mite came back quite crestfallen, with a frown, and a quite loud "dat lady not nice"!! Raised a chuckle and a free cookie from the lady behind the counter who'd seen the whole thing!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:40 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Excellent Lesley. You could save the money you are saving on the rent, and be able to buy yourself a brand new dryer and washer. Renting it from Aarons is money down the drain IMO.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:17 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice result.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Now this is a deal...

Lesley,

Yours was a heartwarming story and shows that honesty does pay off in one's favor.

I really do hope the apartment owners continue to be as good to you when you eventually vacate. I had a horrible experience when I vacated my apartment last year but I attribute that to the sheer greediness of the new owners (they took ownership of the "community" about 6 months after I moved in in 2002).

Have some Karma for sharing your story!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:18 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Lesley!
Originally Posted by fatbrit
Does that follow for politicians as well?
Well, yes. But since they're incapable it's a moot point.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Renting it from Aarons is money down the drain IMO.
Literally

I will get around to buying one.. assuming I get to stay, lol. After the hassle of moving last week (and 3 females doing all the furniture lifting and moving I may add, hee hee) it was kinda nice to just call them and the next day it was there, someone else carrying it up the stairs, installing it etc etc. I'm not tied to a contract so I can get rid of it at any time. 40 bucks a month including tax - thought that wasn't too bad.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Lesley,

Yours was a heartwarming story and shows that honesty does pay off in one's favor.

I really do hope the apartment owners continue to be as good to you when you eventually vacate. I had a horrible experience when I vacated my apartment last year but I attribute that to the sheer greediness of the new owners (they took ownership of the "community" about 6 months after I moved in in 2002).

Have some Karma for sharing your story!

NC Penguin
Thanks! The complex is owned by Mid-America Apartment Communities and I have to say, they have been great from the get go... any time work needs done they are out there within 24 hours without fail. Here it is.. http://www.reserveatdexterlake.com/live/site/trlm.rz

Did you move to another apartment, or buy a house?