Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Wikiposts

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Okay spoiler alert*** I am going to rant about the US please be aware this is the only place I can do this so US members cut me some slack...

Its been a crappy week working too hard, wondering when I will take another holiday etc, but the things that are really driving me crazy are...

the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories, along with people telling me that we should cut the guys some slack cos this is the south and they are used to being in control and they are providers so shouldnt be questioned, but women dont need to work outside school times cos well family first and I dont understand and can pick up the slack cos I dont have kids - step children dont count apparently. And every thing I question is cos I dont understand cos it must be different in England.

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.

Help seriously if I feel like this after nearly four years...

PS I have some very cool and smart US friends who dont talk crap like the above!
sorry to hear that you've had such a sh*tty week
I'm having a BBQ this afternoon with about 35 Brits in attendance (and no Yanks!)..you're more than welcome to come a long and vent with the rest of us!!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:25 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I hear yah, Bradford Lass...

I come across them every now and again in New York State as well, so it's nothing special about the Floridians.

America has a long standing "We're No 1!!" thing going on and, in some cases, I've seen Americans argue the superiority of the US even on subjects about which they have no real comparable, worldly knowledge.

Usually, I ignore people who try that crap on me... People stopped trying the whole "We saved your ass in World War Two" and "we whooped your ass twice...Hurr Hurr!" thing when they realised it's a good way to ruin a party.

I think that, unless you want to get into argument, ignoring them is the best idea. You can't help some people, so no point trying.

-Simon

My best friend in the US has Irish heritage (yeah, the usual story) and after a while we just realised Ireland was a topic we should steer clear of. Despite his high level of intelligence and education, he just seemed to have a complete lack of objectivity and ignorance about any Irish issue. Similar "nationalism"/pride thing going on. He'd even start talking in a quasi American-Irish accent whenever the topic came up, it was amazing to watch the transformation.

Mind you, I did take him and his family to visit his old "hometown" (from umpteen generations back) of Tipperary and he was a little disconcerted about how much dogsh*t there was on the pavement ... I think his romatic ideas took a slight beating on that occasion!

Sorry OP, just realised I'm getting off-topic.

Last edited by dunroving; Jun 6th 2009 at 6:27 am. Reason: Usual - mis-typed the word "quasi" ... I really need typing lessons
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

.....the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories
Easy response. Just tell them that that attitude is the one that resulted in the WTC losing two towers.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Well that's the fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism... Loving your country as opposed to the undying view that your country is superior to other countries. Britain needs more patriotism but, as you said, the US can keep the nationalism.

Having said that, nationalism may be a side-effect of a country being the undoubted number one country in the world for too long... When the British Empire was at it's peak, you can't tell me that the British didn't look down on other countries.
And still do apparently.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:14 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I am dreading July 4th
The first year I was here most of the neighbours took the p**s.

Last year I unpacked a huge Union Flag that used to fly over the old EMI record factory in Hayes, and attached it to the front of my house. Funnily enough no one made a comment.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:16 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
Last year I unpacked a huge Union Flag that used to fly over the old EMI record factory in Hayes, and attached it to the front of my house. Funnily enough no one made a comment.
Nice one! Not sure that I'd dare do that round our way, though.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:21 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by surly
And still do apparently.
That's news to me but then I am not a Brit however it's always nice to hear good news.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srah
That's news to me but then I am not a Brit however it's always nice to hear good news.
I'm sure there must be an Expat Forum for you somewhere.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:28 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

I'm sure there must be an Expat Forum for you somewhere.
Just because you don't like the Brits
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by srah
Just because you don't like the Brits
I like or dislike people on based their character not their nationality.
I'm an excellent judge of character by the way.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:45 am
Banned

I like or dislike people on based their character not their nationality.

Same here however I notice you appear to knock the UK and their people any chance you can.

I'm an excellent judge of character by the way.
Hmm now I wonder why I don't believe that one liner
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Remember you're in the South. Conservative attitudes die hard. Ironically, the very thing that sparked the Revolutionary War, Taxation without Representation, we are now trying to do to the rest of the world! A change of location would probably help a lot. Even though I chose to become an American, I despair when I look around me here at the average level of intelligence. As the old saying goes, the further South you go, the worse the education system is.
I kinda like it down here. Makes me feel smart. A real ego-booster. A "one-eyed man in the land of the blind" kind of scenario.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get drunk and learn to throw a spiral better than the locals, that pisses them off, plus it's a piece of piss

That and chuck cricket balls at them...hah...that's how real people catch balls rather than those mitts

Joking aside, how do you catch with a mitt without feeling like a plonker? Guess I'm just not used to it, but catching a baseball bare handed is so much easier than using a mitt...
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:41 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
A "one-eyed man in the land of the blind" kind of scenario.
Somebody, I forget who right now, wrote a classic SF story about that idea. The upshot was that a sighted man in the land of the blind gets those squishy spherical tumours removed from his head, because they're clearly causing delusions.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Somebody, I forget who right now, wrote a classic SF story about that idea. The upshot was that a sighted man in the land of the blind gets those squishy spherical tumours removed from his head, because they're clearly causing delusions.
Wow... sounds like something Bradbury would write. If you ever remember who wrote it, shoot me the author's name and the title so I can give it a read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.