Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Originally Posted by surly
Well I find implication that I was some kind of slave to the corporate Gods, a bit presumptuous.
Working for yourself has its rewards, but requires a lot more effort than skating through life on the coat tails of Corporate America.
You're just as likely to end up bankrupt as making a fortune, most of us self employed are just barely making a living.
I wasn't talking about you specifically, because I don't know you, but just in the general sense of things.

As for JS - Must be great in Cali then, but that's not representative....and anyway, the trade off would be the state is still skint
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
In the UK, just wondering who finances maternity leave, the employer or the government? If it is the gov. then I think it's good idea (the US should have it). If the business has to finance it I cannot see how a small one could afford it.
Sliding scale, if it's a small business the government pays all, if your larger, they pay less.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I wasn't talking about you specifically, because I don't know you, but just in the general sense of things.

As for JS - Must be great in Cali then, but that's not representative....and anyway, the trade off would be the state is still skint
Thank God for the work-sense of the English as illustrated in this thread.
Well, apart from Surly.
Its helpfull to know that you aren't going bonkers completely alone in corporate America.
It wasn't what you said, but an oblique comment made about me.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the system, the public has to pay for it one way or another.
To be honest I have no idea how the NHS is funded.
I only worked for three years in the UK before coming here.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 3:50 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
In the UK, just wondering who finances maternity leave, the employer or the government? If it is the gov. then I think it's good idea (the US should have it). If the business has to finance it I cannot see how a small one could afford it.
well I worked for the government, as a nurse, but there is also a scheme called sat mat leave and the government pay that, I was lucky as I had worked for the NHS for 14 years so had racked up the highest benefits, I believe it take 5 years? I not sure if employers have to pay a proportion of the wages, I think that is a condition of employment thing where they can chose whether to pay or not, I was on 90% wages when I had my mat leave and with the sat mat leave I was on more than I actually earned normally, and still accruing vaccation leave! so offically I only had 9 months mat leave but was off for a year, and for the 2 months i wasn't working on annual leave or mat leave I got tax back, not too shabby.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by surly
Whatever the system, the public has to pay for it one way or another.
To be honest I have no idea how the NHS is funded.
I only worked for three years in the UK before coming here.
through general taxation....which is how medicaid/care is in the US, but then private medical care which you pay on top is essentially a tax that both employer/employee pay as well.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

California is very pro-employee and has significant laws/rules in place to protect the employee and to keep the employer in check.

Hey you can go to community college for less then 700 per year for tuition and books, and community colleges in California offer a good education with many of the teachers holding Phd's and teaching at 4 year universities as well, but with a far smaller class.

Not to mention all the trade programs the school offers.

Never figured out why people would go right into a 4 year university in California, makes no financial sense to do so and you will end up with the same degree at the end.

Low income students can also qualify for a complete waiver of tuition at community colleges, I never paid a cent in tuition while living there.