Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not sure how to describe it... it just feels weird!

Not sure how to describe it... it just feels weird!

Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not sure how to describe it... it just feels weird!

Not sure how many of you know that I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Today they was a mass shooting in the city, 7 people in total have died.

I did not know any of the people involved although it happened only a few miles away, the guy fled on highway I drive to work on.

It is very bizarre and very tragic.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/08/...ngs/index.html
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not sure how to describe it... it just feels weird!

Oh Gosh how terrible, not a lot you can say but poor victimes, esp the children.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Not sure how many of you know that I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Today they was a mass shooting in the city, 7 people in total have died.

I did not know any of the people involved although it happened only a few miles away, the guy fled on highway I drive to work on.

This has to be very unnerving, having it happen so close. In my mind, this is the last thing I would imagine happening in a place like Grand Rapids, MI. One always thinks of this kind of thing happening in a big city. Don't stress too much, though - this doesn't sound like a crime wave - but a man gone mad long enough to do some serious damage. Hope the children didn't suffer.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

How awful. Even though you didn't know any of the people it must still be very upsetting. Hope you're ok.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is born and bred in Grand Rapids, and we are there frequently, and must say that this is the first time i have heard of anything this shocking happening there.

Wifey is very upset at the news and was up most of the night following it hoping that no one she knows is affected.

Very Tragic.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't move to Modesto then its a regular accurance
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Don't move to Modesto then its a regular accurance
Unfortunately, it's becoming a regular occurrence in a lot of places. Had a few here in Memphis area, though not with so many casualties. Usually just (just?) 2 or 3 - with exception of the family massacre here a few years ago. We keep waiting for someone who's lost health care to go postal on behalf of their child or other relative, kind of like Denzel Washington in the movie he did (can't remember the name of it).

No offense - but I'm gonna go find a happier topic to contribute to.....
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Unfortunately, it's becoming a regular occurrence in a lot of places. Had a few here in Memphis area, though not with so many casualties. Usually just (just?) 2 or 3 - with exception of the family massacre here a few years ago. We keep waiting for someone who's lost health care to go postal on behalf of their child or other relative, kind of like Denzel Washington in the movie he did (can't remember the name of it).

No offense - but I'm gonna go find a happier topic to contribute to.....
Agreed
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I read about that too....very surreal when something like this happens.

There was a murder nearby where we used to live a couple days ago which did the news rounds, very weird having lived a 3 min drive away from where it happened.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a horrible feeling happening so close to where you live. Such an awful, tragic event and my thoughts go out to the families of those who died
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I read about that too....very surreal when something like this happens.

There was a murder nearby where we used to live a couple days ago which did the news rounds, very weird having lived a 3 min drive away from where it happened.
Suspected serial killer Anthony Sowell is now on trial in Cleveland. He's accused of killing at least 11 women in his house on Imperial Avenue.

http://www.cleveland.com/anthony-sow...ny_sowell.html

That house is maybe 3 miles from mine
Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Cowardice rears its ugly head in many forms.

Jim.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I just heard that Betty Ford died today, I wonder if she will be buried in GR with her husband, President Ford is buried 2 miles from my house... lots going on in our city right now.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:33 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

While I obviously have sympathy for those who have lost loved ones, it pays not to dwell on the issue.

I live 30 minutes from Grand Rapids and have many friends there. I have to say I am not that surprised this happened there.

Back in the early nineties, I also lived a few miles away from Fred West and later learned that my mom had met him for drinks with other friends a few times.

You just can't escape it. It follows you where ever you go. It knows....