Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help with rental cars

Help with rental cars

Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold
Default Help with rental cars

I'm traveling back to Scotland at the end of August and will need a rental car. Since I haven't lived in the UK since 1972 I'm unfamiliar with the makes and models of cars and hope that you can help me out.

The situation is that we will be putting my father into respite care for a week (to give my mother a break) so he will only be riding in the car for 3 or 4 days. The driver of the car is 6'4" so needs plenty of legroom. My mother is 5'3" and I'm 5'8". What we need is a vehicle with plenty of driver legroom and reasonable legroom at the back. When I look on the rental websites it shows different classes and I'm wondering which is the best class to book:

Class B (Economy) lists Chevy Aveo or similar (presumably too small)
Class C (Small Compact) lists Chevy Lancetti or similar
Class D (Large Compact) lists Vauxhall Astra, Ford Focus or similar
Class E (Intermediate) lists Ford Mondeo or similar

We're trying to save pennies but don't want to be uncomfortable. I could ask the rental company but thought I would try with you knowledgeable people first.

Many thanks.

Joan
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with rental cars

With a 6'4" driver you will want at least the "large compact." The Ford Focus and Chevy Aveo are sold here, so you can take a look at them. I would guess you'd be comfortable in the front, but the back would be very squashy with front seat adjusted for the driver.
When my husband and I went to Scotland last year, we rented the next size up, because I wanted to be sure to get an automatic transmission. I didn't want to have to deal with a manual, driving on the left, and dealing with my husband panicking because we might get lost all at the same time. We got some teasing for having such a "big" car, but it was quite comfortable, and had plenty of room for our luggage. We took people around in the back seat and no-one complained that they didn't have enough room.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:40 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Norfolk Broad!!.....dumb question probably but are you from that location or just like the area!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BellaE
With a 6'4" driver you will want at least the "large compact." The Ford Focus and Chevy Aveo are sold here, so you can take a look at them. I would guess you'd be comfortable in the front, but the back would be very squashy with front seat adjusted for the driver.
When my husband and I went to Scotland last year, we rented the next size up, because I wanted to be sure to get an automatic transmission. I didn't want to have to deal with a manual, driving on the left, and dealing with my husband panicking because we might get lost all at the same time. We got some teasing for having such a "big" car, but it was quite comfortable, and had plenty of room for our luggage. We took people around in the back seat and no-one complained that they didn't have enough room.
Thanks for the reply. Last time we were there we had a people carrier (?), at least it was a 6-seater, since my son and daughter-in-law were also there, plus parents. So I think it would be wise to fork out for the larger version.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Norfolk Broad!!.....dumb question probably but are you from that location or just like the area!
Yup, I was born in Great Yarmouth but only spent a couple of weeks there before moving all over England and then landing up in Scotland when I was 9.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:26 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
Yup, I was born in Great Yarmouth but only spent a couple of weeks there before moving all over England and then landing up in Scotland when I was 9.
Okay I was asking because I come from there