Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North V's South?

North V's South?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:52 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default North V's South?

is it really easier for a Brit to adjust to life in north U.S? I've spent my entire stay here in the south and am constantly told it's very different up there. Some say it's more like Britain up there ,you know weather wise ,public transportation people actually walking on sidewalks lol
I know a woman from boston who acts like she's moved to a foriegn contry by coming down here!

I'm just like "hello" it' was a huge adjustment for me lady!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:39 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North V's South?

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
is it really easier for a Brit to adjust to life in north U.S? I've spent my entire stay here in the south and am constantly told it's very different up there. Some say it's more like Britain up there ,you know weather wise ,public transportation people actually walking on sidewalks lol
I know a woman from boston who acts like she's moved to a foriegn contry by coming down here!

I'm just like "hello" it' was a huge adjustment for me lady!
Well I've only ever been in the south myself too, so I can't answer, but lots of people say the same to me - along the lines of "You should try going to the northern states, they're more like Britain."

Anyone?
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:13 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe some people like the South *because* it's less like Britain, rather than *despite* that fact. I know this is the case for me. There's such a large Hispanic/Cuban influence here in FL in particular which I love, probably because I spent a lot of time in Spain growing up. I've spent time up north as well (NYC, Boston and Ohio for the longest periods of time), and can say I wouldn't have been nearly as happy living there.

But it's primarily all about the weather for me.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 4:04 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
But it's primarily all about the weather for me.
I went to Tampa once, It rained
Old Sep 16th 2004, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

just for the record the weather in my neck of the woods is nothing like it was in England... it is too hot in the summer (spend a lot of the time with the A/C on) I would be much happier with a constant 74 oF and it is TOO cold in the winter. Winters in England you would get a couple of inches of snow that would disappear in a couple of days... here we get a couple of feet of snow and you can expect it all to be gone in a couple of months.

Ash
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

I lived in Nebraska, but have spent a lot of time visiting and traveling the South (NC, SC, GA, AL, FL). There's certainly a big difference between the two areas, and between either of them and Britain.

I made many friends down South, and just instantly felt at home there.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:41 pm
In God We Trust

UKzeus is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: North V's South?

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I'am moving out to Idaho for this reason in the next couple of months because I like having seasons,warm springs,hot summers warm falls and cold winters and yes they have sidewalks and very scenic great if you like living outdoors and good fishing and hunting
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:52 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MightBe
I went to Tampa once, It rained

But at least when it rains the temperatures are still hot.

I really really REALLY hate to be cold. If it ever snows here in Tampa, I'm moving south.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 7:13 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
But at least when it rains the temperatures are still hot.

I really really REALLY hate to be cold. If it ever snows here in Tampa, I'm moving south.
tee hee Snow in Tampa! when hell freezes over maybe? nah i meant more than the weather I mean the lifestyle attitudes etc when i first arrived here and we lived in Louisiana i would walk the kids to the playground, which 1-was difficult cos of lack of proper sidewalks and 2- people would stare out their car windows at me like i'd just escaped an insane asylum!!! to actally see someone walk instead of jumping in the car....gasp!

the people down here are really friendly tho I've been told up north they're just a bunch of rude Bastards lol