Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hurricane Ivan!

hurricane Ivan!

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:22 pm
  #1  
Back Again
Thread Starter
 
Celtic_Angel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Virtual Reality
Posts: 10,831
Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default hurricane Ivan!

any of you out there watching this big ass hurricane?
I never normally pay attention but this year's been nuts! I just hope it doesn't take a turn west and come to Texas! say what you like about crappy British weather nobody ever had to evacuate due to constant drizzle!
Celtic_Angel is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:30 pm
  #2  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
any of you out there watching this big ass hurricane?
I never normally pay attention but this year's been nuts! I just hope it doesn't take a turn west and come to Texas! say what you like about crappy British weather nobody ever had to evacuate due to constant drizzle!
when it's over Indiana heading my way, I'll start looking at it.
Manc is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:40 pm
  #3  
Back Again
Thread Starter
 
Celtic_Angel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Virtual Reality
Posts: 10,831
Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Manc
when it's over Indiana heading my way, I'll start looking at it.
er......being way up in MI I think you're safe
Celtic_Angel is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:25 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: CHELTENHAM, Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,494
Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
er......being way up in MI I think you're safe
I read somewhere that some of those hurricanes that devastate America eventually turn east, cross the Atlantic as deep depressions and end up as severe gales in the British Isles. The story I read was about a hurricane called Carla in 1961 that caused terrible damage in the US and then ended up blowing down hundreds of trees in Northern Ireland and Scotland. So it seems the not even the UK is totally immune from them.

Cheers

Lothianlad is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:27 pm
  #5  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I read somewhere that some of those hurricanes that devastate America eventually turn east, cross the Atlantic as deep depressions and end up as severe gales in the British Isles. The story I read was about a hurricane called Carla in 1961 that caused terrible damage in the US and then ended up blowing down hundreds of trees in Northern Ireland and Scotland. So it seems the not even the UK is totally immune from them.

Cheers

Quote - Michael Fish, early 1990's

"We've had a phone call from someone stating that there is a hurricane on the way, well that's not the case, there might be a gale in the English channel tonight, but that's all"
Manc is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:56 pm
  #6  
Member
 
James Box's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Bath, UK ---> Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 371
James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Manc
when it's over Indiana heading my way, I'll start looking at it.
Frances was pretty cool. I came out of my office and most of the sky was a beautiful blue and off to the east was the edge of Frances. Winds picked up a little bit and some rain. Not a patch on the thunderstorms and tornados we get
James Box is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:59 pm
  #7  
Member
 
James Box's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Bath, UK ---> Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 371
James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I read somewhere that some of those hurricanes that devastate America eventually turn east, cross the Atlantic as deep depressions and end up as severe gales in the British Isles. The story I read was about a hurricane called Carla in 1961 that caused terrible damage in the US and then ended up blowing down hundreds of trees in Northern Ireland and Scotland. So it seems the not even the UK is totally immune from them.

Cheers

Where do you think the UK gets it's crap weather from? And the UK gets the depressions all year, not just for a few months!
James Box is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:05 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Manc
Quote - Michael Fish, early 1990's

"We've had a phone call from someone stating that there is a hurricane on the way, well that's not the case, there might be a gale in the English channel tonight, but that's all"

Ha ha, remember it well! October 1987.

We were living in a flat in Hackney at the time and in the middle of the night were woken up by the sound of dustbins clattering as they fell over and started to roll into the street...we had a power cut but had battery back up on the clock radio and were incredulous as Chris Tarrant on Capital Radio was talking about the devastation across Southern England ....and telling people to stay at home as transportation was severely disrupted.

The morning was absolutely beautiful and calm with not a cloud in the sky. My husband (stupidly) decided to go into the office (just about the only one in his company who did) at St.Katherine's Dock next to the Tower Bridge and asked me to drive him in. Well, we stepped out of the main door to our block to find a huge London Plane tree had snapped in half and we found out later that the top of the tree had smashed through the window in one of the front-facing flats, pinning an elderly couple to their bed! We took a few steps further and another tree had crashed down in between my husbands 2-day old company car (Peugeot 205GTI) and the car in front of it. Not a scratch on it.....but it was a hellish drive into the City although there was hardly any traffic on the road. The lovely Springfield Park across the street had loads of trees down and I remember my daughter (aged 3) was terribly upset at the sight of all the dead squirrels.

I had to drive into the City later to collect my husband and it was still like a ghost town. Later that night someone walking past the car found a branch from a tree and used it to smash the car window to steal the radio...

I also remember that the stock market crashed within 24 hours of the hurricane (I think it was even called Black Friday back then).

Oddly enough, we had a mini-tornado about 3 weeks ago just within a 2 block radius of our house in New Jersey...just like a hurricane it was.
Englishmum is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:22 pm
  #9  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha, remember it well! October 1987.

We were living in a flat in Hackney at the time and in the middle of the night were woken up by the sound of dustbins clattering as they fell over and started to roll into the street...we had a power cut but had battery back up on the clock radio and were incredulous as Chris Tarrant on Capital Radio was talking about the devastation across Southern England ....and telling people to stay at home as transportation was severely disrupted.

The morning was absolutely beautiful and calm with not a cloud in the sky. My husband (stupidly) decided to go into the office (just about the only one in his company who did) at St.Katherine's Dock next to the Tower Bridge and asked me to drive him in. Well, we stepped out of the main door to our block to find a huge London Plane tree had snapped in half and we found out later that the top of the tree had smashed through the window in one of the front-facing flats, pinning an elderly couple to their bed! We took a few steps further and another tree had crashed down in between my husbands 2-day old company car (Peugeot 205GTI) and the car in front of it. Not a scratch on it.....but it was a hellish drive into the City although there was hardly any traffic on the road. The lovely Springfield Park across the street had loads of trees down and I remember my daughter (aged 3) was terribly upset at the sight of all the dead squirrels.

I had to drive into the City later to collect my husband and it was still like a ghost town. Later that night someone walking past the car found a branch from a tree and used it to smash the car window to steal the radio...

I also remember that the stock market crashed within 24 hours of the hurricane (I think it was even called Black Friday back then).

Oddly enough, we had a mini-tornado about 3 weeks ago just within a 2 block radius of our house in New Jersey...just like a hurricane it was.
Gordon Kaye (aka Rene from Allo Allo) was twatted on the head with a tree while driving home if I recall.............nearly snuffed it.
Manc is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:41 pm
  #10  
Vegas Baby
 
vegas's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Liverpool>Fl>Tx>Ca>Nv
Posts: 567
vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

The British hurricane of 1987 was the remanants of hurricane floyd from Florida it regained strength in the bay of biscay on its journey north. As I type this at 11.30 est Ivan is exactly 400 miles west of me heading north. The clouds are moving very fast overhead but the wind at ground level is just breezy. No rain to speak of either. my sympathy goes to the poor people of Alabama. To make matters worse it looks like the hurricane will stall over northern Alabama causing massive flooding.
vegas is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:45 pm
  #11  
Member
 
James Box's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Bath, UK ---> Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 371
James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by vegas
The British hurricane of 1987 was the remanants of hurricane floyd from Florida it regained strength in the bay of biscay on its journey north. As I type this at 11.30 est Ivan is exactly 400 miles west of me heading north. The clouds are moving very fast overhead but the wind at ground level is just breezy. No rain to speak of either. my sympathy goes to the poor people of Alabama. To make matters worse it looks like the hurricane will stall over northern Alabama causing massive flooding.
Crossing another state off your where to live in the US list?
James Box is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:54 pm
  #12  
Maño-Americano
 
ironporer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: In the heart of the Ozarks
Posts: 10,211
ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
any of you out there watching this big ass hurricane?
I never normally pay attention but this year's been nuts! I just hope it doesn't take a turn west and come to Texas! say what you like about crappy British weather nobody ever had to evacuate due to constant drizzle!
Being less than 200 miles north east of the projected landfall, you bet your ass we're watching Ivan. Have lanterns, lamp oil, coleman camping stove/fuel, 48 liters of bottled water to drink, a bathtub and 15 gallons of wash water incase we lose power/well water, candles... Maybe Ray can lend me a few guns to shoot looters? 20 miles in the country doubt we get many of those!

We're only supposed to see 60-80 mph winds, but these things have a bad habit of spinning off tornados too. Cathy is scared shitless ...

Last edited by ironporer; Sep 15th 2004 at 5:50 pm.
ironporer is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:55 pm
  #13  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,724
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
any of you out there watching this big ass hurricane?
I never normally pay attention but this year's been nuts! I just hope it doesn't take a turn west and come to Texas! say what you like about crappy British weather nobody ever had to evacuate due to constant drizzle!

Unfortunately my daughter is in Biloxi and right now in Gulfport with no way out of the city because the highway 49 is at a standstill and the shelters are full and not taking anyone else in.

So I am watching and wondering if I will be arranging a funeral in another day.

Rete
Rete is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:58 pm
  #14  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

jesus

keep smiling Rete/IP
Manc is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:16 pm
  #15  
Rock Goddess
 
Rockgurl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 1,429
Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hurricane Ivan!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha, remember it well! October 1987.

We were living in a flat in Hackney at the time and in the middle of the night were woken up by the sound of dustbins clattering as they fell over and started to roll into the street...we had a power cut but had battery back up on the clock radio and were incredulous as Chris Tarrant on Capital Radio was talking about the devastation across Southern England ....and telling people to stay at home as transportation was severely disrupted.
I was living in a flat in Hackney too, at that time! Can you believe I slept through the entire thing. When I woke up in the morning and took the dog out for a walk, I couldn't understand why all the trees were down. Obviously I didn't watch much news in those days.
Rockgurl is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.