Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Norn Irishman in the deep south

Norn Irishman in the deep south

Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norn Irishman in the deep south

Did either of you go to Queen's between 1997 and 2001? If so, I probably ran into one of you in the union, since I pretty much lived in the Bunatee or the Mandela Hall during that time.

Probably why I never finished one of the two degrees I attempted there
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

No I attempted going to UUJ as a mature student, for a year between 2009 and 2010 but I was cyber dating my now wife at that time and was going to bed at 4am and getting up at 7:30am, so that didn't work well.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

ModClaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Turkey was being eaten at Christmas in England in the 16th century - long before there was ever a US Thanksgiving.
I always thought the traditional Christmas dinner in England was goose.

But here is an article telling us all everything we could ever want to know about the subject, to end all argument.

http://recipewise.co.uk/the-history-...y-at-christmas

Last edited by ModClaud; Nov 6th 2013 at 3:20 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedwell
ah wud ye shtap, I'm having a wee cuppa tae and a buttered biscuit wit my craic sor... and so's yer man, when he gets back from his wee dander... what about ye?

(My husband always laughs when I do this lol...)
I love it - I also love "wind yer neck in, wee lad!"
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
No I attempted going to UUJ as a mature student, for a year between 2009 and 2010 but I was cyber dating my now wife at that time and was going to bed at 4am and getting up at 7:30am, so that didn't work well.
I went to school next to there. Used to jump over the wall for a crafty fag in the lane that runs between UUJ and BHS to the uni car park at break and lunch time. Great days.

By the time I was communicating with my wife-to-be I was working in the civil service in Belfast, but I was used to getting by on 4 hours sleep a night anyway so it wasn't too bad

Originally Posted by ModClaud
I love it - I also love "wind yer neck in, wee lad!"
Ugh - 'wind your neck in' was one I always hated to hear. Usually because it was uttered by a little spide (for our English readers, that's a chav) at the pub.

'Wee lad' is OK, though.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
My mother went to school in Killyleagh, (she is from the Raffary area if you know where that is) so I know Killyleagh quite well.
Holy crap - it is a small world! I know Raffrey. I have family in Shrigley too. I must have driven through Shrigley, Derryboy, Raffrey and Saintfield thousands of times.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Did either of you go to Queen's between 1997 and 2001? If so, I probably ran into one of you in the union, since I pretty much lived in the Bunatee or the Mandela Hall during that time.

Probably why I never finished one of the two degrees I attempted there
I went to the University of Manchester - graduated 1986 so I'm probably a good bit older than you. A lot of my friends went to Queen's though so I've been there quite a bit.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:04 pm
I have a comma problem

I went to the University of Manchester - graduated 1986 so I'm probably a good bit older than you. A lot of my friends went to Queen's though so I've been there quite a bit.
I would have graduated in 2000 if I hadn't changed degrees after 2nd year, so you're about 14 years older than me. Likely we drank in the same pub at the same time at some point.

I never got in any fights though, so at least I can say we didn't beat the shit out of each other at some point
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ugh - 'wind your neck in' was one I always hated to hear. Usually because it was uttered by a little spide (for our English readers, that's a chav) at the pub.

'Wee lad' is OK, though.
Actually the story my husband told used a slightly more colorful expression involving the winding in of a different body part that starts with a C and rhymes with rock. And it was uttered by a woman.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Actually the story my husband told used a slightly more colorful expression involving the winding in of a different body part that starts with a C and rhymes with rock. And it was uttered by a woman.
Sound like just the type of classy bird one would find in Belfast, so it is.

That was an awfully verbose way of getting out of typing 'cock' by the way ...
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would have graduated in 2000 if I hadn't changed degrees after 2nd year, so you're about 14 years older than me. Likely we drank in the same pub at the same time at some point.

I never got in any fights though, so at least I can say we didn't beat the shit out of each other at some point
None you can remember at least!
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:38 pm
I have a comma problem

None you can remember at least!
I was always pretty well behaved when out and about. I got utterly wankered, of course, but I generally kept to myself.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sound like just the type of classy bird one would find in Belfast, so it is.

That was an awfully verbose way of getting out of typing 'cock' by the way ...
Thanks. We southern girls prefer verbosity to vulgarity. Unless of course you are talking about college football, when we see absolutely nothing wrong with shouting "go Cocks!" at the top of our lungs. The Irish don't have the market on irony cornered, you know.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:01 pm
I have a comma problem

Thanks. We southern girls prefer verbosity to vulgarity. Unless of course you are talking about college football, when we see absolutely nothing wrong with shouting "go Cocks!" at the top of our lungs. The Irish don't have the market on irony cornered, you know.
A) I'm not Irish
B) I wasn't being ironic.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

A) I'm not Irish
B) I wasn't being ironic.
Wind your cock in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.