Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Norn Irishman in the deep south

Norn Irishman in the deep south

Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

ModClaud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Norn Irishman in the deep south

I am American, married to a wonderful man from Northern Ireland who moved here to the deep south of the US to be with me, and I figured this forum would be a good way for us to connect with others in "mixed marriages" lol

I have thought about writing a sitcom TV show called "The Special Relationship" about a British husband and American wife, because of all the funny little situations that come up. Like, my husband insists on having turkey at Christmas because that's what he is used to back home. How did that even happen? You guys don't even HAVE turkeys over there, it was almost our national bird, and we eat a lot of it on Thanksgiving, so how dare you steal our almost national bird, apply it to a different holiday and then insist that we adapt to fit your needs?

I hope that this question and many more can be answered here on this forum.

Last edited by ModClaud; Nov 4th 2013 at 4:15 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norn Irishman in the deep south

Originally Posted by ModClaud
Like, my husband insists on having turkey at Christmas because that's what he is used to back home. How did that even happen? You guys don't even HAVE turkeys over there, it was almost our national bird, and we eat a lot of it on Thanksgiving, so how dare you steal our almost national bird, apply it to a different holiday and then insist that we adapt to fit your needs?
If Bob Newhart is to be believed, it's all "Nutty Walt's" (Sir Walter Raleigh) fault:

Did we get the what?...
Oh!, the boat load of turkeys, yeh! They arrived fine Walt, as a matter of fact they're still here, they're wanderin' all over London...
Well, y'see, that's an American holiday, Walt!!!...
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
If Bob Newhart is to be believed, it's all "Nutty Walt's" (Sir Walter Raleigh) fault:
I thought it was all down to Bernard Matthews - bootiful
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

I am American, married to a wonderful man from Northern Ireland who moved here to the deep south of the US to be with me, and I figured this forum would be a good way for us to connect with others in "mixed marriages" lol

I have thought about writing a sitcom TV show called "The Special Relationship" about a British husband and American wife, because of all the funny little situations that come up. Like, my husband insists on having turkey at Christmas because that's what he is used to back home. How did that even happen? You guys don't even HAVE turkeys over there, it was almost our national bird, and we eat a lot of it on Thanksgiving, so how dare you steal our almost national bird, apply it to a different holiday and then insist that we adapt to fit your needs?

I hope that this question and many more can be answered here on this forum.
The funniest thing, and this is particularly true of Northern Irish people, is that we blurt out a Northern Irish saying or word without thinking and you just get strange looks from everybody. I still have to check myself to make sure I am saying the American term rather than the British term or the Northern Irish term.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:16 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone knows that you should have Turkey at Christmas
Actually, I do insist we have it too, although my Mum's family is German so we have always had the meal on Christmas Eve. I love doing it, it's a quintessential part of Christmas to me. I've noticed that the American's don't really do a Christmas dinner of any kind so it works out well for me and the wife. We do a big roast dinner on Christmas eve with her family, then on Christmas day we go out and have Chinese food and watch a film.

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
The funniest thing, and this is particularly true of Northern Irish people, is that we blurt out a Northern Irish saying or word without thinking and you just get strange looks from everybody. I still have to check myself to make sure I am saying the American term rather than the British term or the Northern Irish term.
Honestly, I have no idea which is which most of the time these days...
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
I will have to see if I can get a hold of that episode. That may explain everything!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bink

Actually, I do insist we have it too, although my Mum's family is German so we have always had the meal on Christmas Eve. I love doing it, it's a quintessential part of Christmas to me. I've noticed that the American's don't really do a Christmas dinner of any kind so it works out well for me and the wife. We do a big roast dinner on Christmas eve with her family, then on Christmas day we go out and have Chinese food and watch a film.

We've been in a relationship now for almost 8 years and still come up with funny differences in language all the time. Two countries separated by a common language...
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

We've been in a relationship now for almost 8 years and still come up with funny differences in language all the time. Two countries separated by a common language...
What part of "Our Wee Country" is he from?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
What part of "Our Wee Country" is he from?
Belfawst like, so he is.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

lol I'm from Comber, slightly to the east of Belfast
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to spend my first Xmas in the US. I've already been warned they don't do turkey for Xmas. Or Xmas pud. I'm currently busy trying to convince my wife that Turkey is almost as important to Xmas day as presents LOL
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:32 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

We made a 27-pound turkey for Thanksgiving last year. I figure that if you're going to make a turkey already, make a big one; it's not all that much more work than making a 5-pound roasting chicken. Apparently my husband (from County Tyrone, to keep this marginally on topic) was sufficiently traumatized by leftovers, which I love, to suggest we NOT do the same this year. We may do a turkey breast. Since we are in Texas, Christmas is BIG INDULGENT STEAK night.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

DH's most common comment at Thanksgiving is, "Sure smells like Christmas!" This year, I'll be spending Thanksgiving in Jolly Ole Gloucester. The in-laws are looking forward to me cooking Thanksgiving dinner for them. Only slight change is that we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving on December 1st because everyone works on Thursday, and apparently Sunday Thanksgiving dinner would suit everyone best.

Oh well, when in Rome...

Over here in California, Christmas Eve supper and Christmas breakfast will be homemade tamales. Our newest tradition (of the past 3 years) is Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner (oh yeah!). --I'm very hungry now!--
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In our German/Polish family, we had a special Christmas Eve dinner which was composed of German foods, i.e. wursts of all kinds, perogies to satisfy the Poles, salads, breads, and then off to midnight mass

Yes, we had a big dinner on Christmas Day but never ever Turkey. It was always a beef roast of some sort.

Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

we've deep fried our turkey for the last three years, it works beautifully....and you can Cook a 12 pounder in less than 45 minutes.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.