Reload this Page >

No taxation without representation

No taxation without representation

Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: No taxation without representation

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
One of the most common mistakes Brits make when coming to the US is forgetting that, regardless of language and history, they are still in a foreign country.

The USA is just as foreign as Italy or Brazil but that fact is masked by popular image.
Known that for some time, but never actually heard it said. You are absolutely right.
When you go to a foreign country you might expect different language, money, customs etc.
However, unlike Italy, France, Spain etc, the US really doesn't seem to have a distinct culture of its own. It seems to me an eclectic mix of all the worlds cultural habits with a few "Americanisms" thrown in.
Perhaps the error you mention is easy to make because we speak the same language (for sake of argument) and therefore anticipate cultural similarities?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 2:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
The USA is just as foreign as Italy or Brazil but that fact is masked by popular image.
having said that, you could be mistaken for thinking parts around here aren't Brazil, there's so many Brazilians around *lol*
Old Sep 4th 2006, 7:43 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Only A and C apply to me, but even still - i believe that the people who do pay taxes should not be granted the right to vote, isnt that what citizenship is for - that an honour reserved for those who have taken the 'oath'.

Ant
Old Sep 4th 2006, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by antjen
Only A and C apply to me, but even still - i believe that the people who do pay taxes should not be granted the right to vote, isnt that what citizenship is for - that an honour reserved for those who have taken the 'oath'.

Ant
Took the oath, exersized my right (per the honour ), the other bugger got in. Shaln't bother again.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen

Ant
don't that depend on what you'd want to be allowed for people to vote, don't you think it fair to allow the tax payers vote for local district school boards, local majors etc?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:31 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
don't that depend on what you'd want to be allowed for people to vote, don't you think it fair to allow the tax payers vote for local district school boards, local majors etc?
No, why should we complicate things by having a special category, it'll be the thin edge of the wedge. You want to vote, become a citizen.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:11 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
having said that, you could be mistaken for thinking parts around here aren't Brazil, there's so many Brazilians around *lol*
Sure they're Brazilians? Might be Azorians. There were over 500k in New Bedford alone according to the Azorian professor that sat next to me on a flight a few years ago
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
No, why should we complicate things by having a special category, it'll be the thin edge of the wedge. You want to vote, become a citizen.
well LPR's are already allowed to vote for those things in certain states...so surely it would make it easier if they could across all states?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Sure they're Brazilians? Might be Azorians. There were over 500k in New Bedford alone according to the Azorian professor that sat next to me on a flight a few years ago
naaa....there brazilians, someone was saying that there's a large population, came about for some reason or other, quite a few brazilian deli type shops around in the next town over...