British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   No taxation without representation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/no-taxation-without-representation-391788/)

TRPardoe Aug 21st 2006 2:25 am

No taxation without representation

As my neighborhoods are now inundated with temporary signs advertising various unknown persons who are candidates for everything from State Governor, through Judge, to School Board Member.............

...............It strikes me that this country started out on it's road to independence with the phrase "No taxation without representation".

Who amongst us thinks that those of us who:

A: have a Green Card
B: pay our taxes
C: do not break the law

Should also have the vote here ?

and no, I am not joking.

Maybe this deserves a Poll and perhaps a Petition ?

Jerseygirl Aug 21st 2006 2:37 am

Re: No taxation without representation

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
As my neighborhoods are now inundated with temporary signs advertising various unknown persons who are candidates for everything from State Governor, through Judge, to School Board Member.............

...............It strikes me that this country started out on it's road to independence with the phrase "No taxation without representation".

and no, I am not joking.

As non USC's I don't think we should have the right to vote...although my husband disagrees.

I also believe that in choosing to leave the UK I gave up to right to vote there.

USBound Aug 21st 2006 2:58 am

in this case it isn't a question of opinion.

"no taxation without representation" means we should have representation... period.

we don't... so there is an issue.

NC Penguin Aug 21st 2006 3:14 am

and no, I am not joking.

I think you have highlighted one reason to naturalize when one is eligible (if applicable).

NC Penguin

gsnichol Aug 21st 2006 3:18 am

and no, I am not joking.

Only B and C apply to me. Whilst I wouldn't wish to have a vote for the federal government (so I can't be blamed for what they do) even though I don't like where my tax money ends up, we could at least be allowed to vote in local city elections. Since we put a good deal of $$ into the local councils through sales taxes, why shouldn't we have a say?

I did read somewhere that even if you're not a USC you can still meet with and talk to your local representative etc since if you have a GC then there's a good chance you may become a vote-wielding USC, and those politicians like to woo early.

AdobePinon Aug 21st 2006 3:44 am

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Only B and C apply to me. Whilst I wouldn't wish to have a vote for the federal government (so I can't be blamed for what they do) even though I don't like where my tax money ends up, we could at least be allowed to vote in local city elections. Since we put a good deal of $$ into the local councils through sales taxes, why shouldn't we have a say?

You can vote in *some* local elections in *some* places as a non-USC, but local taxpayer. I've never followed up on it though, as I didn't want to have to explain that on my N-400.

Also, if you want to continue the feeling after getting US citizenship, you could always move to DC where they still suffer taxation without representation. :D

cinnabar Aug 21st 2006 4:03 am

In England, I always lived in a constituency that was a million miles from marginal. My vote there would be worthless if I bothered registering for overseas voting.

In the US, my county is a million miles from marginal.

At the last election, our state-wide gubernatorial race went to the wire and probably under it. The bad guy very nearly got in. There again, since both parties here are so far right of centre anyway, it hardly matters which of them wins.

So I'm currently undecided on getting UK voting rights, and I have years to go before I can worry about US ones, "I dunno".

gsnichol Aug 21st 2006 5:18 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You can vote in *some* local elections in *some* places as a non-USC, but local taxpayer. I've never followed up on it though, as I didn't want to have to explain that on my N-400.

Also, if you want to continue the feeling after getting US citizenship, you could always move to DC where they still suffer taxation without representation. :D

Really? Someone did joke that, now I have an AZ driving licence I could vote, since they use that as official ID and US passports are bizarrely not accepted...

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 21st 2006 5:40 am

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Really? Someone did joke that, now I have an AZ driving licence I could vote, since they use that as official ID and US passports are bizarrely not accepted...

Well there was that stupid Democrat in California who was caught encouraging illegals to vote for her.

joto Aug 21st 2006 11:24 am

What about asking for our taxes back that we have already paid if we can't vote as legal residents and just start taxing us at the normal rate when we become citizens. That would start a big debate among the politicians.

Manc Aug 21st 2006 12:34 pm

the people of Washington DC are playing the worlds smallest violin for us.

Titchski Aug 21st 2006 12:38 pm

I have enough trouble deciding which bunch of wankers to vote for in the UK, without having the same headaches here! :p

dan_alford Aug 21st 2006 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski
I have enough trouble deciding which bunch of wankers to vote for in the UK, without having the same headaches here! :p

Agreed. I never ever thought I would be gratefull for "Party Political Broadcasts" but after going through the election years here I am!

I love the typical run up to the election:

Early Days:
Candidate A: Vote for me, I have good track record
Candidate B: Vote for me, Candidate A has poor Track record

Middle of race:
Candidate A: Candidate B lied about claim 1,2 & 3
Candidate B: Candidate A libelous over claims I lied

End of Race:
Candidate A: Candidate B eats Babies!
Candidate B: Candidate A is the devil!

Rodney you plonker Aug 21st 2006 1:37 pm

and no, I am not joking.

Never vote for a politician........ It only encourages the bastard.

Ben Aug 21st 2006 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Which ones? Even the school elections have the stipulation that you have to be a USC in order to vote.

I do believe that you should be allowed to vote in local things that influence the local area. And the only stipulation should be that you reside and pay property taxes/rent that pays the property taxes in the area.