Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No taxation without representation

No taxation without representation

Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:31 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No taxation without representation

Originally Posted by fatbrit

On the draft crap, you can obey it or leave the country if called up. If you leave, you enjoy a permenant bar from re-entry as their gift to you.
But on the bright side, if you joined up, they'd give you citizenship, didn't they give it to a guy posthumously recently?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I'm a USC who was a GC holder. No you should not get the vote. You get benefit from the taxes you pay. The "No taxation without representation" slogan was for citizens of the crowd, living in the colonies, who were taxed but had no representation in Westminster.

Why do you stop at GC, why not any of the temp work permits, they pay taxes too.

It's very simple, we don't want a bunch of foreigners, who may not have our interests at heart, to change our political direction.

Having said that, if more of you will vote against the Republicans than not, I might change my mind
Can American expats in the UK vote in UK elections? If not then I really don't see why expats here should vote in American elections. I am not very political anyway, so probably would'nt vote if I could. I have no idea about American politics, or American politicians, except for the crowd in the White House right now. Carol is very much against foreigners voting in US elections, until they take out American Citizenship and can show from that they are committed to this country. If green card holders will not become citizens when they have the option, they are not showing any committment to this country, and therefore should'nt vote.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I am not absolutely sure that you have to be a UK citizen to vote in the UK.

Perhaps someone else here knows the facts ?
Not anymore, people from common wealth countries use to be able to vote in the UK, even though it wasn't always reciprocated, but they changed that a few years back.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
they are not showing any committment to this country,
what does this mean? commitment to a country?

what does Carol want in the form of commitment?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: No taxation without representation

Originally Posted by Manc
what does this mean? commitment to a country?

what does Carol want in the form of commitment?
Carol believes voters should be citizens of this country. If a person wants to vote, they should become a citizen. Green Card holders are foreigners who can return to there own country anytime they wish, they have no real stake uin the future of this country, even though they pay taxes, and have families here. If green card holders want to vote, they should apply for citizenship first, even if that means they have to join the US Military to do it.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:22 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I just took a look, Commonwealth citizens can vote. EU citizens can register, but I don't know if they can vote in UK Parliamentary elections or not, so I emailed them with that question.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Carol believes voters should be citizens of this country. If a person wants to vote, they should become a citizen. Green Card holders are foreigners who can return to there own country anytime they wish, they have no real stake uin the future of this country, even though they pay taxes, and have families here. If green card holders want to vote, they should apply for citizenship first, even if that means they have to join the US Military to do it.
surely spending $350 and standing there and taking an oath doesn't make a person comitted to a country.

personally, I'll take the oath when they're something in it for me........when it makes sense for me, not for the USA.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Green Card holders are foreigners who can return to there own country anytime they wish,
From a purely personal point of view, the above statement stuck out like a sore thumb to me. In many cases, the GC holder is the one who can't travel freely back to their own country since they risk loosing their painstakingly acquired status, whereas the naturalized USC who holds dual citizenship can freely move away with a 100% guarantee of return if required. Weird, I know, but that's the way I felt about it.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:33 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by fatbrit
From a purely personal point of view, the above statement stuck out like a sore thumb to me. In many cases, the GC holder is the one who can't travel freely back to their own country since they risk loosing their painstakingly acquired status, whereas the naturalized USC who holds dual citizenship can freely move away with a 100% guarantee of return if required. Weird, I know, but that's the way I felt about it.
That's what I think.

I'll become a US Citizen so I can live in Manchester for a bit.........hardly a comittment is it?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
That's what I think.

I'll become a US Citizen so I can live in Manchester for a bit.........hardly a comittment is it?

Precisely.

After going through the USCIS crap, though, pragmatism wins the day.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 3:09 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I received the following answer to my question:

Michael,

All EU citizens resident in the UK can register to vote. UK, Irish, Maltese and Cypriot citizens can then vote in all elections. Citizens of other EU countries may only vote in local elections (including those to the Devolved institutions) and in European elections (if they do not vote in there home-Country's European elections).

Regards,
Christopher Morgan
Public Information Officer
The Electoral Commission
Trevelyan House
Great Peter Street
London SW1P 2HW
Tel: 020 7271 0728
Fax: 020 7271 0505
www.electoralcommission.org.uk
www.aboutmyvote.co.uk
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 3:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I received the following answer to my question:
I'm very impressed that you got a reply.

So, err.... what's up with the Cypriots and the Maltese?
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 4:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I am not absolutely sure that you have to be a UK citizen to vote in the UK.

Perhaps someone else here knows the facts ?
In the United Kingdom, citizens of Commonwealth nations and the Republic of Ireland have full voting rights. But whether they should have is another question. Sooner or later, a UK govenment will likely legislate to restrict the vote to British citizens only.

Citizens of EU member states have the right to vote in local elections.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:48 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Citizens of EU member states have the right to vote in local elections.
And elections for the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly (which are local-ish, perhaps).
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:50 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
So, err.... what's up with the Cypriots and the Maltese?
Cyprus and Malta are Commonwealth countries, so Cypriot or Maltese citizens who are living in the UK, even if on the basis of being the citizen of an EU country, have full voting rights.

Last edited by CPW; Aug 23rd 2006 at 7:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.