Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No looking back now...

No looking back now...

Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:24 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold
Default No looking back now...

I'm officially back in the US for my first visit to my parents house in 9 months... and I can't wait to get back to England! I'm already frustrated by the lack of public transport, the way people pronounce the word 'watch' and the fact that even the crap TV is well and truly crap.

Don't get me started on the fact that my parents are driving me absolutely up the wall. It's tough being back in the same house, and giving up my independence to do it.

Still, I'm really glad I came back. It's like the decision has finally been made. I'm better off in the UK.

It's been oddly jarring to be back after so long- hearing accents that sound completely weird to me because I haven't heard them in ages (a bloke from Boston on the TV scared the crap out of me - I couldn't place his accent at all!)

Oddly enough, I haven't got as many food related complaints- most things I've eaten have been delicious, but then again, I am eating at home mostly.

Everything seems bigger though- unwrapped a burger this afternoon and nearly dropped it in shock. It was massive! Mum swears up and down that it's the same size it's always been, but I was full for ages afterwards.

It doesn't feel like I've ben away that long, but everything seems slightly different- like I'm seeing it through a lens or something. I don't bother constantly comparing it to the UK anymore, because thankfully I'm going back there at the end of the month, but it's strange how disconnected I feel from things I used to cling to over here (like BBC America...).

I'd better get used to it though- yearly visits back the states are mandatory for my family now
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:02 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No looking back now...

.............*waves*................

I love reading your posts. It always cheers me up.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Hey tel8,

So happy things workd out for you! Good reading your post
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update, that's a great perspective into how returnees do upon going back to their adopted country.

I worry how my kids will do, they are so American. I think being British is an innate thing inside us. You either are or you're not. I always have been despite 21 years away. I'm on countdown to 2016 when I'm planning to go back for good.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Great update. Don't eat too many of those massive burgers.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Great update. Hope you enjoy the time with your family.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

great update. So glad you feel settled in the UK.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, enjoy the holiday!! I guess it's good to know that you've made the right decision for you! Far better than going back and being torn apart by the angst of what you are giving up! Don't have too many big burgers!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:27 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it isnt quite the same but I felt the same way when I went down to my hometown (Geelong) from Brisbane, driving in was like going into a different alien world. It depressed me when I lived there and felt the same when I visited. It all looked temporary and grubby.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:19 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
.............*waves*................

I love reading your posts. It always cheers me up.
Awww, thank you Rebeccajo! How are things going? I need to catch up with you guys! I'm still in the US at the moment, but heading back to London in two days
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:22 pm
is finally happy

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Thanks for the update, that's a great perspective into how returnees do upon going back to their adopted country.

I worry how my kids will do, they are so American. I think being British is an innate thing inside us. You either are or you're not. I always have been despite 21 years away. I'm on countdown to 2016 when I'm planning to go back for good.
I agree. When my mum came to visit me in London she complained non-stop about it: everything was too small, to cramped, to hot/cold, not enough, too expensive and so on and on and ON. I think she was born American Hopefully your kids will enjoy being in the UK as a chance to be somewhere different if not as returning 'home'.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:25 pm
is finally happy

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Great update. Don't eat too many of those massive burgers.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Great update. Hope you enjoy the time with your family.
Originally Posted by morayeel
great update. So glad you feel settled in the UK.
Thanks guys! Heehee- I've been scarfing down those burgers quite happily in fact- I have to admit, a good burger is one thing the US does quite well

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah well, enjoy the holiday!! I guess it's good to know that you've made the right decision for you! Far better than going back and being torn apart by the angst of what you are giving up! Don't have too many big burgers!
Yeah, it just makes me feel more confident now that I know I made the right decision.

Originally Posted by chris955
I know it isnt quite the same but I felt the same way when I went down to my hometown (Geelong) from Brisbane, driving in was like going into a different alien world. It depressed me when I lived there and felt the same when I visited. It all looked temporary and grubby.
It's odd isn't it? I guess it's one of those things that you really notice when you find the right place for you.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Have a safe flight "home". Enjoy your burgers LOL
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Emmbritt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been back a month now after 32 years in Arizona. And I have to say I absolutely love it! People are so friendly and down-to-earth. Months ago, before I left Arizona, I would read posts on here trying to make my mind up about coming back, and I think it was Tel8 that wrote something that really resonated in me...and then miraculously the path back to Britain really opened up for me...and here I am....!!!! It just feels 'right' to be back!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

so happy you are enjoying your return after living in the US for so long. Whofan63 also returned from AZ and she is also enjoying herself so good to know that you made the right decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.