Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No let up from the constant bills here!

No let up from the constant bills here!

Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No let up from the constant bills here!

Originally Posted by hammersmith_cockney
Thats why I am moving to England in August, its certainly more expensive to live in the USA, especially food prices, and utility bills are creeping up here in Texas.

Gas is nearly $3 a gallon here, all I have to do is swap my SUV (15mpg) for my Mini Cooper (40 mpg) and I'm paying the same money regardless!

I must admit though, american beer is very cheap lol

Its all very subjective - as the many threads on car prices have demonstrated! To me the cost of living here is much cheaper than in the UK - but that is because of my circumstances and the terms of my contract - it all has to be related to how you are paid here etc as to how expensive you find it!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Have you ever considered using XE trade? None of this filling in paperwork nonsense with them...
errr I've never even thought of that! I'll look into it, thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abboy
Not only bills. I seem to be getting solicitation letters from the charities more than once a year. I remember I just donated an amount to a state trooper patrol organization and two more charities 4 months ago and now I am receiving a solicitation letters again from them.
Back home, I remember receiving letter from the charities only once a year.
watch some of those charity solicitations, many are a rip off with about 10% of your donation reaching the actual cause they are touting.

This doesn't work for charities solicitations but I finally found where to call or write to cancel all those credit card applications that fly through the mail. I was getting 2 or 3 every day & just throwing them in the bin. I decided one day to open the colelction that was piling up on the floor, write "Do not contact" across them & return them in their postage-paid envelopes. Lo & behold, there is a phone number on them to call & cancel. I haven't received one now for ages, TG.

Last edited by danfan; Apr 18th 2007 at 7:39 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danfan
watch some of those charity solicitations, many are a rip off with about 10% of your donation reaching the actual cause they are touting.

This doesn't work for charities solicitations but I finally found where to call or write to cancel all those credit card applications that fly through the mail. I was getting 2 or 3 every day & just throwing them in the bin. I decided one day to open the colelction that was piling up on the floor, write "Do not contact" across them & return them in their postage-paid envelopes. Lo & behold, there is a phone number on them to call & cancel. I haven't received one now for ages, TG.

Here's the website to sign up to stop the prescreened credit card offers.
It worked for us!

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'd prefer the Dutch style of banking where bank transfers are free and you have a smart card to access your account.
Those are two of the things my bank account gives me - access token card and free transfers.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Those are two of the things my bank account gives me - access token card and free transfers.
Which bank do you use, and do they offer this to everyone? Or do you need to have a certain average daily balance?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

We think it is sooo much cheaper to live here than in the UK.

We have been here 6 months, live in a bigger house, yet pay half the amount of gas elec and water.

The bills seem to be more often here as they come itemized monthly rather than an estimate quarterly and then ending up with huge Bills.

We have had a bad winter here and we were amazed at how cheap our bills, were.

Our car lease is cheap, gas is still cheap to us, car insurance about the same etc etc.

Since we have been here we are more aware or britain being rip off than ever before - 40% tax good job and no spare cash, bloke next door living on social, takes his 6 kids to Disney for holiday, new volkswagon on drive !!!
I could never argue its more expensive here.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bloody'ell, if that's the case, I'm moving to Colorado...sod not having a job out there if it's that cheap...because it's bloomin' well stupidly expensive around here...the complete opposite to you

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
We think it is sooo much cheaper to live here than in the UK.

We have been here 6 months, live in a bigger house, yet pay half the amount of gas elec and water.

The bills seem to be more often here as they come itemized monthly rather than an estimate quarterly and then ending up with huge Bills.

We have had a bad winter here and we were amazed at how cheap our bills, were.

Our car lease is cheap, gas is still cheap to us, car insurance about the same etc etc.

Since we have been here we are more aware or britain being rip off than ever before - 40% tax good job and no spare cash, bloke next door living on social, takes his 6 kids to Disney for holiday, new volkswagon on drive !!!
I could never argue its more expensive here.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:21 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
bloody'ell, if that's the case, I'm moving to Colorado...sod not having a job out there if it's that cheap...because it's bloomin' well stupidly expensive around here...the complete opposite to you
Could you cyber-commute from CO?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Could you cyber-commute from CO?
naaa...for a couple of days a week perhaps, but I don't think they'd stump for flights when needed in house