Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston and what else???

Houston and what else???

Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:02 am
Just Joined

alone_star_state is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Houston and what else???

Ok so after 3 months in Houston, I can confirm that there is nothing to do in this huge city, except lots of places to eat.

Somebody tell me I'm so wrong and just havnt seen the right places?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:17 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston and what else???

Umm... no, sounds about right to me.

Have you been down to the Gulf Coast for a bit of sun, sea and sand? If you decide to go, this time of year is great, before it gets too damned hot!

Tried the local state parks for some nature and wildlife (gets pretty wild here in Texas)?

Driven in a random direction for a few hours and just seen what you can see? That was our preferred method of finding our feet here.

I'm not in Houston (aka The Armpit of Hell), so I don't have specific ideas for the city itself, I'm afraid. Still, there are plenty on these boards who live in that area, so perhaps they'll chime in.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:19 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alone_star_state
Ok so after 3 months in Houston, I can confirm that there is nothing to do in this huge city, except lots of places to eat.

Never been to Houston, but from what I hear they have a grand opera house!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Never been to Houston, but from what I hear they have a grand opera house!
hmm grand opera house......maybe in a few years, just doesnt seem my thing at the moment. But you've hit the theater spot though, can't picture or expect great shows but i'll defo stay objective and start looking.

Yea, the state parks seem great, but so far the weekends have not been that sunny.

Went to Galveston.......bit dissapointed, but at least we got to use those important little things I like to call LEGS and oh umm WALK for once. It has some really nice places to walk.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:10 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm grand opera house......maybe in a few years, just doesnt seem my thing at the moment. But you've hit the theater spot though, can't picture or expect great shows but i'll defo stay objective and start looking.

Yea, the state parks seem great, but so far the weekends have not been that sunny.

Went to Galveston.......bit dissapointed, but at least we got to use those important little things I like to call LEGS and oh umm WALK for once. It has some really nice places to walk.
OK, you've been to Galveston, which is a start. We were really disappointed too.

Next you have to try Mustang Island. Stay at The Tarponn Inn. It's a real eye-opener to find that there are endless miles of unspoilt beaches and a tiny seaside town frozen in time sometime in the 1950s right there between nasty old Galveston and the Spring Break hell of South Padre!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Where's our TruBrit, she'll tell you all about the fun packed thing's you can do in Houston
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by britvic
Where's our TruBrit, she'll tell you all about the fun packed thing's you can do in Houston
One sentence should do it
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Texas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really nice

You have the entire Museum District all connected by underground tunnels

You can go to Galveston Bay.

You also have the Richmond Arms British Pub

Shame they closed the 6 flags Park

Those are just a few of the places I have been

Texas
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I'm never short of things to do in Houston, but I've got plenty of friends there.

An Alamo Drafthouse just opened: http://www.alamodrafthouse.com/westoaks/frames.asp - take in the latest movie and drink while you're watching it.

If you're into mountain biking Memorial Park, the Museum District, or the Sam Houston National Park are all worth a trip.

Head down to the Village (nr Rice Uni) for some decent pints at the Gingerman and Two Rows Brewery.

Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

There are some good concerts in Houston. Check and see whats on at the Cynthia Woods Pavillon this summer. The Renaissance Festival is usually held in November just about an hour out of Houston, that can be an interesting experience. It depends what you are interested in. There may not be too much in the city you like, but remember, you are in Texas so it means you will have to drive an hour or two to find different entertainment.Thats normal. Make the most of it not being too sunny yet..........you wont be saying that by the end of September when there is no end in sight for the heat and humidity.

Have you taken a drive to the Hill Country or Austin yet?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I'm never short of things to do in Houston, but I've got plenty of friends there.

An Alamo Drafthouse just opened: http://www.alamodrafthouse.com/westoaks/frames.asp - take in the latest movie and drink while you're watching it.

If you're into mountain biking Memorial Park, the Museum District, or the Sam Houston National Park are all worth a trip.

Head down to the Village (nr Rice Uni) for some decent pints at the Gingerman and Two Rows Brewery.

Love Two Rows...........they make the best Pizza!

Rice Village is a great place to wander around in. There is a good (but expensive) British Shop there as well.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Here's a link to CWP........depends on your taste in music though!

http://pavilion.woodlandscenter.org/events.asp
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Have you taken a drive to the Hill Country or Austin yet?
Lived in Houston 18 months and came to the conclusion that the only good thing was that it was close to the Hill Country. If 3 hours is considered close, that is...
The best thing about Houston is the wonderful climate and fantastically executed spawl
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Scouser
You have the entire Museum District all connected by underground tunnels

You can go to Galveston Bay.

You also have the Richmond Arms British Pub

Texas
Good start - can also add:

The Space Center
Brazos Bend Park for the 'gators
Go watch the Rockets or the Atros (or even better join the social softball leagues at one of the softball centers and play beer matches)
Go play or watch tennis at Westside Tennis Club
Go see the San Jacinto monument and Battleship Texas
etc.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

what an amazing response. Thanks. The two of us havnt made many friends yet, and so hard to hear opinions.

NASA was nice, enjoyed the insider tour.

The rest of the ideas are officially on my list 'to do' for the comming weeks. The underground tunnels sound very interesting.

the Rice area is defo beautiful, but the traffic on the day we went was really bad. Guess you just have to pick a good day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.