Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A new user be gentle

Wikiposts

A new user be gentle

Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new user be gentle

Originally Posted by Boiler
Perhaps this needs to be moved to Off Topic?
heh.. "too" young.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Normee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've got a young friend who has recently gone pro on the US golf circuit. He did not go to an Academy, he played his azz off every day and got a caddy job at his local golf course (it doesn't hurt that he's living in N Carolina/golf heaven) and got himself promoted to junior pro or somesuch title.
His father supported him financially, as far as he could. He recently secured the sponsorship of a wealthy member of the club, who is helping him cover the tournament costs (they are staggering) and cover his cost of living (I think the grant was something like $50K/year). The young friend has had to gamble everything on this (quit his job, has had no other higher education).

Whatever happens to him, he's pretty much committed to a career in the industry, either as a winner on the circuit or as a resort pro. He has been playing daily since at least age 10.
You have a lot of famous golf on your side of the Atlantic, so I think it's important for you to separate out what your real goals with this are.
My son has been swinging this golf club since he was 6....he is progressing very well...HIS goal is to go to the States, he knows this is where the opportunities are, his words not mine...I and his mother just do not want to let him down bt saying no to him wanting to go to the states...but he is a very young fifteen year old and just cannot see him leaving us at this age...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Normee
My son has been swinging this golf club since he was 6....he is progressing very well...HIS goal is to go to the States, he knows this is where the opportunities are, his words not mine...I and his mother just do not want to let him down bt saying no to him wanting to go to the states...but he is a very young fifteen year old and just cannot see him leaving us at this age...
That's fair.. so find him some local options until he's mature enough for boarding school (tho lots of kids his age do go away to school, don't they?).

You (parents) aren't letting him down, you're making choices that he is not mature enough to make (by your statement). You can certainly put the options out in front of him and see what you can make happen; I know they have to start young.
But now you're dickering with me over emotional stuff, like disappointing your child, when I am unclear on your motives. If you want to relocate your family for whatever reasons, I'm simply suggesting you look for a route other than a 5 month golf program.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's fair.. so find him some local options until he's mature enough for boarding school (tho lots of kids his age do go away to school, don't they?).

You (parents) aren't letting him down, you're making choices that he is not mature enough to make (by your statement). You can certainly put the options out in front of him and see what you can make happen; I know they have to start young.
But now you're dickering with me over emotional stuff, like disappointing your child, when I am unclear on your motives. If you want to relocate your family for whatever reasons, I'm simply suggesting you look for a route other than a 5 month golf program.
The school I went to had Borders, not me, they started at 7.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still not convinced he can easily get a visa for this place. If he can, it will still be there in a few years. I don't see any way for you to be able to accompany him without completely turning your lives upside down.

If a visa is a no-go, has he considered a US university with a golf program? Is he good enough to get a scholarship? Of course, that would be a few years down the road as well.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Normee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I'm still not convinced he can easily get a visa for this place. If he can, it will still be there in a few years. I don't see any way for you to be able to accompany him without completely turning your lives upside down.

If a visa is a no-go, has he considered a US university with a golf program? Is he good enough to get a scholarship? Of course, that would be a few years down the road as well.
Yes he is, I can give you names of coaches, from thier respective Uni`s who expressed an interest, Lee, Bethany Uni`s to name a couple of the top of my head...I guess, study here in the UK, at 18 try to go to the states...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 12:47 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The school I went to had Borders, not me, they started at 7.
The school I went to had Barnes and Noble.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:31 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Probably not, I have already got serious negative vibes about how we are going to do this...probably, after talking with them, and if there is any positive outcomes then we move on, but right now I have serious reservations...shame really...

However, I cannot just say no, based on a few posts on an internet forum can I..
You're right - I agree. Though couldn't a lot of this visa speculation be solved with one phone call or email to the school to inquire about your son's particular situation?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
You can see spelling was not my forte, or for that matter typing.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:40 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye

I read this post this morning and have only just got it. Slow brain day!