Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Managing UK bank account from US

Managing UK bank account from US

Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Salford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Managing UK bank account from US

Hi all, I've moved to America in the past few months and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on managing my UK finances from the states.

I've still got a UK credit card and bank account with HSBC. I pay the minimum off the card each month from my bank account online. I also opened a US account with Citizens Bank, when I opened it they told me I could add my UK bank account to their online banking to transfer money between the two. I need to keep sending money I'm earning here to my HSBC account there as obviously my money is coming in from this end now.

Anyways, I havent been able to add the account because it requires a routing number. I called HSBC UK who said they didnt know what a routing number was but gave me a Swift Code instead which they said is used to send and recieve money overseas. The SC is 11 digits and the online form to add the account asks for a 9 digit routing number. I called Citizens and they told me they dont support transferring money to accounts outside of the USA.

They told me I should just wire money everytime I need to send some, but that is really expensive and not a viable long term solution for me as it would cost a fortune. The wire fee is $10 each time plus a percentage based on how large the amount is.

So is anyone else still juggling their UK accounts from the states? What does everyone else do.

Sorry this was so lengthy. Cheers if you can help!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Re: Managing UK bank account from US

I transfer money monthly from here to the UK and I use

http://www.xe.com/

there are no fees either end and good exchange rates too
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:14 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 View Post
I transfer money monthly from here to the UK and I use

http://www.xe.com/

there are no fees either end and good exchange rates too
+1. This is what I do too.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

+2 XE trade are excellent.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Salford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cranston View Post
+2 XE trade are excellent.
Suppose thats who I'll have to go through. Bit dissapointing to have to go through a third party though.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Salford View Post
Suppose thats who I'll have to go through. Bit dissapointing to have to go through a third party though.

Thanks all.
you'll get better rates though and if there's a particularly good exchange rate you fancy, you can go for a contract rate so you don't have to gamble each month.