A new user be gentle

Wikiposts

A new user be gentle

Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Normee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new user be gentle

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your son being accepted at a golf academy is only part of the problem. He needs a visa to attend school in the US. The hardest part, is that there is NO visa available for parents to accompany their children who are attending school in the US.

As parents, one or both of you will need to qualify for a visa independently of your son. Sadly, this has dashed the hopes of many.

Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA and here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified.

Ian
Ian, it seems to be already dashing my hopes, without even trying, there is no way can he go on his own, he is a young fifteen year old, and we always said we would give him as much of an opportunity as we can to get on in life, its seems a non starter already..
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:53 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Normee
So is that it, just forget it, done and dusted, surely not?
That's up to you.

Did you find any yes answers in Pulaski Simplified?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
That's up to you.

Did you find any yes answers in Pulaski Simplified?
not many tbh......
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:58 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, it seems to be already dashing my hopes, without even trying, there is no way can he go on his own, he is a young fifteen year old, and we always said we would give him as much of an opportunity as we can to get on in life, its seems a non starter already..
how can a 15 year old leave school? surely they have to sit their GCSE's and all that anyways.

does he have a scholarship? or how much will it cost for your kid to attend this school.

They just accepted someone??? what just like that?

If I turn up with a set of Calloways and spend $40,000 I am sure they'll teach me how to ping a ball about too.

This just sounds like a bit of a joke TBH.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:00 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there someone recently facing a similar dilemma over a tennis academy?
I will have a look.

Here we go.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=tennis

Just read the thread. Doesn't seem to help much.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Nov 9th 2010 at 5:03 am.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:01 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

not many tbh......
As I said....that's your biggest issue.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
how can a 15 year old leave school? surely they have to sit their GCSE's and all that anyways.

does he have a scholarship? or how much will it cost for your kid to attend this school.

They just accepted someone??? what just like that?

If I turn up with a set of Calloways and spend $40,000 I am sure they'll teach me how to ping a ball about too.

This just sounds like a bit of a joke TBH.
My sons birthday is in August, 21/8/1995, he leaves school next July!!!

They have given him the invite, I have an idea of costs, course i have, its on their website!!!!

I doubt you have $40K, and no its not a joke, I really could do without your whit...

BTW its Callaway...

and he does not need to taught how to ping a golf ball around, he does that well enough...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:03 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

They have given him the invite, I have an idea of costs, course i have, its on their website!!!!

I doubt you have $40K, and no its not a joke, I really could do without your whit...

BTW its Callaway...
sorry I thought they were legitimate points.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
sorry I thought they were legitimate points.
well I am sorry but I thought you were being a bit padentic (sp)
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:06 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Normee,

Manc, like others on here, can be a bit abrupt with their advice, but usually it's spot on.

Have you contacted the school to see if they have a chaperone they could put your kidlet with?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Normee,

Manc, like others on here, can be a bit abrupt with their advice, but usually it's spot on.

Have you contacted the school to see if they have a chaperone they could put your kidlet with?
No, I will be doing that later tonight, I guess I have more than a fair share of questions and things to sort out, not quite so sure how to take people on here with replies..
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Wasn't there someone recently facing a similar dilemma over a tennis academy?
I will have a look.

Here we go.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=tennis

Just read the thread. Doesn't seem to help much.
Wasn't it a gymnastics academy?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:16 am
Peace onion

The reason people can be abrupt is that they've been here a long time, and get a lot of the same questions asked over and over, as you might expect.

Rather than BS someone, or give them false hope, BE users tend to give it to you straight. Unfortunately, and often, the answers are not what people want to hear. And so they get hostile, and the regulars get defensive.

Just take the rough with the smooth. If you stick around, you'll usually get some pearls of wisdom that people have gained through experience.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:17 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Wasn't it a gymnastics academy?
Yes, it was. I wonder how it panned out.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

BTW its Callaway...

and he does not need to taught how to ping a golf ball around, he does that well enough...
And here's the problems that I spoke of before.

1. Although it's not uncommon, it's not the general rule that you would get your GCSE results and leave school before you are 16. The way you worded your original post made it sound like he was going to drop out of school at 15 and go to this academy.
2. Costs on a website are usually a guide to tuition, sometimes with accommodation included, and often won't be close to the actual total costs. An invitation is not the same as a scholarship. Scholarships are common in the US and range from a couple of hundred dollars to covering the entire cost.
3. Mancs bank balance is irrelevant since he is not sending a kid to school. That line of the post is illustrative of most sporting academies in the US. If you have the money, your level of talent is often a secondary consideration if it's a consideration at all. I've no idea about the one that accepted your son. The majority of universities, colleges and vocational academies are a business in the US and run accordingly.

Research on your own first, give good information and be realistic or you likely will get the rough welcome mentioned earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.