Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Wikiposts

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
We never see our mailman, we have a kiosk-style community mailbox that services oh, a couple hundred homes.
I've got an amazing mailman. He's really sweet and goes out of his way to help. He'll stand and chat for ages if I'm by the mailbox. I think it gets a tad lonely being on the road without chatting to anyone for an entire morning
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:41 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I've got an amazing mailman. He's really sweet and goes out of his way to help. He'll stand and chat for ages if I'm by the mailbox. I think it gets a tad lonely being on the road without chatting to anyone for an entire morning

Our maillady is great. UPS is another story. This winter they wouldn't deliver a package because the driver thought he would get stuck on our driveway so he dropped the package at the store in town 6 miles away. It would have been nice if he had told us! When we called UPS looking for the package they said it had been delivered and they were done with it. My wife went off and they finally contacted the driver who admitted leaving it in town.:curse:
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:46 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

My mailman (Pete) is such a nice man, chatty and friendly.

I thought you were meant to tip everyone who does a service for you unless they own the business.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Marigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to all

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
I tip the cable guy, Vonage guy, anyone who does anything in my apartment. Plus we all tip the super of the building.

Now I feel really bad as we had cable fitted yesterday and the poor bloke was here for AGES and I didnt tip him.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marigold
Now I feel really bad as we had cable fitted yesterday and the poor bloke was here for AGES and I didnt tip him.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.
If it's any consolation, it would not have occurred to me to tip the cable guy or similar.

I wonder whether they would even be allowed to accept tips?
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marigold
Hi, as the title suggests, I have recently moved to the US with my husband and children. I am completely confused by the tip system. Who do I tip? What do I tip? And if there are already 10000 threads answering this question, can someone please tell me where they are!!

So, these are the ones I have thought about so far. Do I tip and how much:

The removal men
The person that fills up my car at the garage
The barperson
The driver, when I have paid the company in advance and it included tip
The person that packs my grocery bags
And any others that I can't think of right now!!

Thank you in advance
  • The removal men - Nothing
  • The person that fills up my car at the garage - $1-$2 (if you like him)
  • The barperson - $3 - $4 for every $20 you spend (15 - 20%) - same goes for waiters and waitresses.
  • The driver, when I have paid the company in advance and it included tip - Nothing
  • The person that packs my grocery bags - Nothing

If you are not treated with respect and given decent service the answer is a big ZERO for any of these people.

These are optional but I tip the following:

Movers and installers .... when they've gone out of their way to give me good service ..... anywhere from $10 - $20 each regardless of the cost of the item.

Hairdressers - 10%

Pizza or Chinese Delivery - $2-$3
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
If it's any consolation, it would not have occurred to me to tip the cable guy or similar.

I wonder whether they would even be allowed to accept tips?
Yes they can .... but they make a decent wage so $5 - $10 is plenty if they've treated you right.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Yes they can .... but they make a decent wage so $5 - $10 is plenty if they've treated you right.
Decent wage?????
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:16 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Dittos to Jinney's guides.. one to watch out for tho, don't tip on the TAX on your meal.
Jinney... LOL

You know, it's never occurred to me to not include tax when tipping. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of ANYONE who doesn't include the tax when tipping. Maybe we'll have to give that one a try...

~ Jenney
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:06 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Adnams
Decent wage?????
No they don't make as much as Bill Gates, ffs. But they make a lot more than waiters and waitresses and quite likely have some benefits and paid vacation time. If you want to give them a $50 tip - more power to you. Are you wealthy enough to tip everybody you encounter who makes less than $50,000 a year?

Do you tip the teller at the bank or the cashier at the department store? I can guaran-fucking-tee you that they make less than your cable guy.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:11 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You know, I never would have done it before, but now that my husband's in the business, I WILL tip movers. They have to handle far higher weights than are legally allowed in the EU, with little in the way of equipment to help out. They are typically paid on commission, which means that if you have circumstances that delay them (eg things that go upstairs, or require complicated reassembly etc) then they will either have to hurry (in which case they may make mistakes) or get less per hour. If you and your spouse can lend a hand, I would.... this is effectively a tip if it makes things go more quickly.
Besides, they'll do extra stuff for you if they know there's a tip in it .... and when you're moving any extra hands are a good thing.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Decent wage?????
they make around $15 + an hour, so f' em.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66

Do you tip the teller at the bank or the cashier at the department store? I can guaran-fucking-tee you that they make less than your cable guy.
I know bank tellers at the mall here are on around $8 hr, up to $10hr if they speak english and aren't hispanic...but they don't know that.