Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Marigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to all
Default New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Hi, as the title suggests, I have recently moved to the US with my husband and children. I am completely confused by the tip system. Who do I tip? What do I tip? And if there are already 10000 threads answering this question, can someone please tell me where they are!!

So, these are the ones I have thought about so far. Do I tip and how much:

The removal men
The person that fills up my car at the garage
The barperson
The driver, when I have paid the company in advance and it included tip
The person that packs my grocery bags
And any others that I can't think of right now!!

Thank you in advance
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Originally Posted by Marigold
Hi, as the title suggests, I have recently moved to the US with my husband and children. I am completely confused by the tip system. Who do I tip? What do I tip? And if there are already 10000 threads answering this question, can someone please tell me where they are!!

The removal men
The barperson

Thank you in advance
You like spreading lolly. Dont think that you should tip the removal men, or the grocery store people thats certainly not the norm in New England. Bar people, waiting staff and hairdressers as a rule get about 20%. 15% if youre tight. I know its a cultural difference, in UK you'd really only tip 20% if the service was excellent but here its common practice even if the service was dire. Garages you need to tip to but no idea on the % as I always use self service. What State are you in? This forum has people from all over who'd be able to give you a better idea of the norms for your area.
The driver thing I have a quandary with too, when I've got cars in the past and its been prepaid by OH's company I have still tipped - only to get a rollicking from the OH coz he cant claim it back, but there you go!!
Good luck here I hope you're enjoying it so far

Last edited by Adnams; Jun 26th 2007 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The removal men
The barperson

Thank you in advance
Can't remember.
No...it's against the law in NJ to dispense gas yourself.
Don't know I never buy drinks.
No.
What...are you serious? I prefer to pack my own bags. I hate hot chicken on top of the carton on ice cream or a bag of potatoes on top of a loaf of bread.
Hairdressers, servers etc. 15-20% depending on the service.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Marigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Adnams
You like spreading lolly. Dont think that you should tip the removal men, or the grocery store people thats certainly not the norm in New England. Bar people, waiting staff and hairdressers as a rule get about 20%. 15% if youre tight. I know its a cultural difference, in UK you'd really only tip 20% if the service was excellent but here its common practice even if the service was dire. Garages you need to tip to but no idea on the % as I always use self service. What State are you in? This forum has people from all over who'd be able to give you a better idea of the norms for your area.
The driver thing I have a quandary with too, when I've got cars in the past and its been prepaid by OH's company I have still tipped - only to get a rollicking from the OH coz he cant claim it back, but there you go!!
Good luck here I hope you're enjoying it so far
Hi, thanks for the reply. We are in NY State. I had to lol at he spreading my lolly remark as I am normally a bit of a tightwad!!! I have only filled the car up once so far, so I didn't realise there was selfserve!!! We are really enjoying it so far, but we are only 4 weeks in and not even living in our proper house yet, so we have a bit of a way to go until it feels like "normal life" yet
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't remember.
No.
What...are you serious? I prefer to pack my own bags. I hate hot chicken on top of the carton on ice cream or a bag of potatoes on top of a loaf of bread.
LOL Jerseygirl. I was in NJ when I filled the car up so that explains why I didnt know there was selfserve!!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember.
No.
Agree.

Here, bar tenders also expect a tip here, though not as much as servers (10-12%?)

I would also tip the removal men (dropping a strong hint *when they first turn up* that the tip will be commensurate with performance )
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Jerseygirl. I was in NJ when I filled the car up so that explains why I didnt know there was selfserve!!
Roughly where in NY are you?

Welcome to BE...karma on it's way.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:40 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Roughly where in NY are you?

Welcome to BE...karma on it's way.
Westchester County
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
Hello and welcome to BE
Thank you
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Westchester County
Okay I know I've been in CT for five years but where's Westchester county. If youre up state I'd say less than if youre near the city?
Hey I didnt get a thanks for my karma

If Elvira thinks 10 to 12% I must have been throwing aways Oh's dosh for the last five years.....
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Hiya!

What brought you here - if I may be so bold...
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hiya!

What brought you here - if I may be so bold...
Oh no I hope she's not on the devils visa too???!!!
Homebody

Okay I know I've been in CT for five years but where's Westchester county. If youre up state I'd say less than if youre near the city?

If Elvira thinks 10 to 12% I must have been throwing aways Oh's dosh for the last five years.....
that's at the bar though... waiters want more...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Not upstate....nearer NYC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.