Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Wikiposts

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:18 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Originally Posted by Adnams
Its a slippery slope I agree. I max out at 20% - its just easier to work out than 15%. Okay nuff of the blonde jokes already
I hate maths and I can work out 15%

If I'm in a cheap restaurant and the waitress looks poor etc I'll give 20% but never at a 'posh' one.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:20 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Welcome to BE
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I hate maths and I can work out 15%

If I'm in a cheap restaurant and the waitress looks poor etc I'll give 20% but never at a 'posh' one.
Cheap restuarant? Where you eating Wendy's???? Kidding
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:26 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Cheap restuarant? Where you eating Wendy's???? Kidding
The local family Mexican. Or on road trips, those diners and I think to all the films and imagine the waitress being a single mum struggling on her own etc (watch too much telly )
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
The local family Mexican. Or on road trips, those diners and I think to all the films and imagine the waitress being a single mum struggling on her own etc (watch too much telly )
Heart of gold you 'ave
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't know...I live in NJ. I hate travelling by public transport..........
YOu.......... you.......... you.............

septic

x
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigold

The removal men
The person that fills up my car at the garage
The barperson
The driver, when I have paid the company in advance and it included tip
The person that packs my grocery bags
And any others that I can't think of right now!!
When we moved, the removal men got a crisp $20 note each, which worked out at about 20% anyway.
On my occasional foray up the turnpike, the guy filling the tank will get a buck or two.
Barperson. I give 'em get a dollar a drink, whether it's a natty boh or a frou frou cocktail.
No idea with the driver, but if tip is included....
I pack my own bags, and if someone wlse does 'em - tough. But if them bought them to my car, in the rain - they might get a buck or two.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

hang on a darn cotton minute!!!!..... was i supposed to tip the guys who unpacked my furniture?

I can understand tipping for waiting staff etc, hair kind of (i hated doing that in the UK but did), but removal men?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:18 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm American and here's what/who I usually tip:

Waitstaff -- 20% for really good service, 15% if service is just average, 10% if service was crap
Hairdresser -- Usually I'm a Great Clips kinda girl and just get a trim for $11; it take 15 minutes and I tip $5 only because I think 20% ($2.20) is too cheap
Pizza delivery guy -- 20% since they basically live on tips; however, we always get take-out so I don't have to tip then
Taxi driver -- 15%-20%, but rarely use taxis anyway

I never tip:

Packers/Shippers (ie, removal men )
Mailmen
Clerks who pack and/or take my groceries to my car
Mechanics
Mainanence workers (plumbers, etc)

~ Jenney
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:00 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
hang on a darn cotton minute!!!!..... was i supposed to tip the guys who unpacked my furniture?

I can understand tipping for waiting staff etc, hair kind of (i hated doing that in the UK but did), but removal men?
You know, I never would have done it before, but now that my husband's in the business, I WILL tip movers. They have to handle far higher weights than are legally allowed in the EU, with little in the way of equipment to help out. They are typically paid on commission, which means that if you have circumstances that delay them (eg things that go upstairs, or require complicated reassembly etc) then they will either have to hurry (in which case they may make mistakes) or get less per hour. If you and your spouse can lend a hand, I would.... this is effectively a tip if it makes things go more quickly.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Over here, you usually bake cookies at Christmas for your mailmen and I do for my garbage people too, as way of thanking them
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I usually tip movers (removal men) with a $20 and a six-pack of a beer.

Waiters / Waitresses / Bartenders are 15-20%, usually due to rounding to the nearest $ on the bill.

Curbside checkin at the airport is $1 per bag.

Mailmen / paperboys / doormen (if in a building) / service people (in a building) are generally Christmas only.

If your math is poor:

Take the bill:
-drop the last digit and remember this number (new number).
-divide the new number in 2 and remember this number (1/2 number).
-add them together to get the tip=15%...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You know, I never would have done it before, but now that my husband's in the business, I WILL tip movers. They have to handle far higher weights than are legally allowed in the EU, with little in the way of equipment to help out. They are typically paid on commission, which means that if you have circumstances that delay them (eg things that go upstairs, or require complicated reassembly etc) then they will either have to hurry (in which case they may make mistakes) or get less per hour. If you and your spouse can lend a hand, I would.... this is effectively a tip if it makes things go more quickly.
Hearing that next time I move I will tip the removal men! I cant wait to move, anywhere, but here......
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Sod 'em....but depending on how many drinks you get, 10-15%, or a buck if it's a bottle for yourself.
Buck or so a drink--I taught the DAH to not chintz when tipping the bar staff. The measures do seem to improve after the first round!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm American and here's what/who I usually tip:
Dittos to Jinney's guides.. one to watch out for tho, don't tip on the TAX on your meal.

My mom also has some weird rule on how much to tip if you've had a bottle of wine, since the markup is so extreme (don't tip on the wine or some such) but once you've been a server/waitress, you do become a very good tipper!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.