Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Wikiposts

New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You know, I never would have done it before, but now that my husband's in the business, I WILL tip movers. They have to handle far higher weights than are legally allowed in the EU, with little in the way of equipment to help out. They are typically paid on commission, which means that if you have circumstances that delay them (eg things that go upstairs, or require complicated reassembly etc) then they will either have to hurry (in which case they may make mistakes) or get less per hour. If you and your spouse can lend a hand, I would.... this is effectively a tip if it makes things go more quickly.
you pay extra for assembly and for anything more than one flight of stairs though, so sod 'em, well around here, and they cost an arm and a leg.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Buck or so a drink--I taught the DAH to not chintz when tipping the bar staff. The measures do seem to improve after the first round!
depends on the place...without a pair of boobs, service tends to be a bit crap around here, so I can't be arsed to tip 'em as much.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:48 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll tip anyone if the service is exceptional and nothing if its crappy. 15% is usually the max.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: New to the US and I'm rubbish at tipping!

Has anyone noticed the change in room service charges?

It used to be a basic charge of around $3-4 per delivery, plus around 20% of the cost of the meal, PLUS they would leave a blank line marked gratuity on the bill.

Recently I've noticed the blank line marked gratuity has disappeared. Does that mean they no longer expect a gratuity, or is it just because too many guests complained.

I feel sorry for the guys/gals who have to do room service, so don't mind giving extra, but should I give them cash to make sure they get it? (which would be tricky because I can only put so much miscellaneous cash for tips etc on my expenses...)

Also, I'm never sure whether to tip the bell captain who gets me a taxi every time or only if he helps with bags.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Also, I'm never sure whether to tip the bell captain who gets me a taxi every time or only if he helps with bags.
Only with bags, unless they really have to hustle for a cab (i.e. get out in the street, screaming in some weird cabby dialect to find a cab, etc).
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Only with bags, unless they really have to hustle for a cab (i.e. get out in the street, screaming in some weird cabby dialect to find a cab, etc).
Well, in my experience something like that is normally required...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:06 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I usually tip 20% and round up to the nearest $.
Just double the tax JG. Comes out to just over 16% in NT as we are 8.275%
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:52 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marigold
Hi, as the title suggests, I have recently moved to the US with my husband and children............................So, these are the ones I have thought about so far. Do I tip and how much:
Welcome and good luck.

The removal men
Dont bother........paid in local taxes (or rent)

The person that fills up my car at the garage
Use the self-serve lane (do recal the price being higher in the service lanes........but that was years ago........)

The barperson
A buck or two per drink or round..........depending. I usually still don't tip the bar.

The driver, when I have paid the company in advance and it included tip
As in cab? Dunno, never use them.

The person that packs my grocery bags
And any others that I can't think of right now!!
Dont bother, its their job. Now if they bring the bags out to the car.......maybe a few bucks.

Thank you in advance
PS: When at a restaurant, just double the tax and leave that. This is, btw, one of the toughest ones to get used to........
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Over here, you usually bake cookies at Christmas for your mailmen and I do for my garbage people too, as way of thanking them
I give them $20 including the recycling guys. BTW federal law forbids giving cash to federal employees ie mail carriers.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I give them $20 including the recycling guys. BTW federal law forbids giving cash to federal employees ie mail carriers.
gift card to amazon then.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:46 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
gift card to amazon then.
Cookies are cheaper and more personal.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:12 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Our postmen don't want cookies, they want cash. Everyone I know in NY gives the mailman at least $20 (I gave mine the Paul McCartney DVD of the the Russian concert this year as well, he is a big fan)

I tip the cable guy, Vonage guy, anyone who does anything in my apartment. Plus we all tip the super of the building.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

to much hassle to lug about, but gift card or cash ain't....
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:05 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

We never see our mailman, we have a kiosk-style community mailbox that services oh, a couple hundred homes.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:20 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, FL, I really offended the lady who washed my hair at the hairdressers. She had long, false, claw-like nails, and she hurt when she washed my hair anyway, but I honestly didn't know I was supposed to tip her. The hairdresser always got a tip from me, though.

Anyway, after going to this place a couple of times, the hair-washer hovered over me for a few seconds after she was done, I thanked her, and went over to the chair to get my hair cut. She walked off in a real huff and shouted something along the lines of, "I'm not providing a free service". The place was full, I felt quite embarrassed, and if I'm honest, I wanted to tell her to go f**k herself, as it was never a pleasant experience anyway.

I refused to go back there after that, and I hope she got fired or at least yelled at for causing the loss of a customer. If I'd known I was meant to tip her, I would have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.