Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New School Prayer

New School Prayer

Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:35 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New School Prayer

Originally Posted by Manc
me neither.
couldn't give a monkeys.

Neither do I, I thought the prayer was pretty funny. Shoulda realised the implications of posting something somewhat religious. Where's my pint
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

But I am also not one of these loons demanding that they change "in God we trust" from the money or the pledge of allegiance either.

However I think in this country you are viewed as a pariah if you say you're an athiest.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:25 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
The issue is Christianity not me personally but then that is why we disagree. It would appear that it only takes one person to object to prayer whether in schools or courts or wherever and the whole world turns upside down to placate one person. The majority have no say whatsoever in a lot of cases and would have carried no weight. "to cause to suffer because" of belief seems to be a fair way of summing that up imho of course.
I think that the problem for many of us, and the reason we might say nasty things to you is that you put yourself in the big tent of Christianity. Also in that tent, are other groups who want to enact their crede into secular law and make it apply to me. If you and your fellow Lutherans, and other reasonable denominations, would put some space between yourselves and the radicals, we would leave you alone and concentrate on the radicals. I don't say we would accept religion in schools, there is plenty of other opportunity for religion and I can see no purpose for it but as a battleground to rally the radicals.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I think that the problem for many of us, and the reason we might say nasty things to you is that you put yourself in the big tent of Christianity. Also in that tent, are other groups who want to enact their crede into secular law and make it apply to me. If you and your fellow Lutherans, and other reasonable denominations, would put some space between yourselves and the radicals, we would leave you alone and concentrate on the radicals. I don't say we would accept religion in schools, there is plenty of other opportunity for religion and I can see no purpose for it but as a battleground to rally the radicals.
I do not take anything being said on this thread as being nasty. Pobably I am thick skinned, thick or both. It just amazes me that school prayers have caused such consternation. What harm can it do? Who is afraid of what? A lot of the things I was taught at school had no bearing on my working life but that was my choice to discard them later as would be religion. Some grown up people I know were dragged by their ears to Sunday Service when they were kids which I also think was wrong. RI at school as a lesson has had a bearing on a lot of peoples lives, both for good and bad. It certainly did not make me go to church to become a radical or fundamentalist. I personally think the fuss made of this has done more to further Christianity than what it was before.
No such thing as bad publicity or so it is said.

Last edited by tony126; Aug 5th 2005 at 9:56 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:28 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Not being a Christian myself.......I have no worries about prayers in schools....etc......I want my kids to grow up knowing about religions so they can make their own minds up.........
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Christianity is a BIG LIE, it is the same story as that of Horus the son of two major Egyptian deities: the God Osirus and and the Goddess Isis.Horus was worshipped thousands of years before Christ. I'm not saying Jesus didn't exist.

Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!

I challenge anyone to read the parallels and free that closed christian mind.
(Scroll down and check out the comparison table)

Parallels between Jesus and Horus, an Egyptian God

Have a nice day y'all............
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Is it? Not so written in the Constitution I do believe. Where did you get that idea from?
I'm hoping she was being sarcastic.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Not being a Christian myself.......I have no worries about prayers in schools....etc......I want my kids to grow up knowing about religions so they can make their own minds up.........
The only problem with that, is that there is not more than one religion taught. And of course anything other than christianity is akin to devil worshipping. Tough dilemma, I think we'll stick with no religious training and thank ***** we don't live in the midwest or the deep south.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Manc

However I think in this country you are viewed as a pariah if you say you're an athiest.
Very true! My husband has learned to just politely smile and not step up on his atheist soap box.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm hoping she was being sarcastic.

Just making sure. Sounded very much like the neocon agenda of putting god in the Constitution to me!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just making sure. Sounded very much like the neocon agenda of putting god in the Constitution to me!
It would be time to pack my bags....again.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
It would be time to pack my bags....again.

Don't worry, the tide is turning...
Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:38 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, the tide is turning...
It is? Do you think the for the next wave they might try liberal agnostic Judaism? I'd have a head start on that one!

Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:40 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It is? Do you think the for the next wave they might try liberal agnostic Judaism? I'd have a head start on that one!

Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:41 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
I do not take anything being said on this thread as being nasty. Pobably I am thick skinned, thick or both. It just amazes me that school prayers have caused such consternation. What harm can it do? Who is afraid of what? A lot of the things I was taught at school had no bearing on my working life but that was my choice to discard them later as would be religion. Some grown up people I know were dragged by their ears to Sunday Service when they were kids which I also think was wrong. RI at school as a lesson has had a bearing on a lot of peoples lives, both for good and bad. It certainly did not make me go to church to become a radical or fundamentalist. I personally think the fuss made of this has done more to further Christianity than what it was before.
No such thing as bad publicity or so it is said.
Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were complaining.

I don't have a problem with RI as an academic subject, which it was in my schools. My problem is with school prayer, I know what it is to go and sit alone in a class room while the rest of the school is in an assembly. Especially when the other kids come and tell you that you are going to hell cos you didn't go to assembley and say the prayers. At nine years old, that is scary. I was Roman Catholic going to a C of E school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.