Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New School Prayer

New School Prayer

Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New School Prayer

Originally Posted by tony126
I used the wrong word when I said I am, it should be we as Christians are as per Websters persecute 1 : to harass in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief. Now obviously you will take issue with that but try and stay with it.
Where does questioning stop and persecution begin? Is to question to persecute? I still need some specific contemporary examples of the persecution of the Lutherans in the US.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Where does questioning stop and persecution begin? Is to question to persecute? I still need some specific contemporary examples of the persecution of the Lutherans in the US.
Now FB where did I say that. You brought up the fact on Catholics I did not. Persecution can be verbal. So when I see anybody who has a strong Christian belief being labelled a fundamentalist then that is verbal persecution, in my book.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Now FB where did I say that. You brought up the fact on Catholics I did not. Persecution can be verbal. So when I see anybody who has a strong Christian belief being labelled a fundamentalist then that is verbal persecution.

You said you/Lutherans/Xtians were/are persecuted, so I asked you for specific contemporary examples. You state it's verbal. So, I'm happy it's not physical!

Now, I need real life examples of the verbal persecution. Do they taunt you in the street, send nasty emails or what? And what do they say that persecutes you?
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You said you/Lutherans/Xtians were/are persecuted, so I asked you for specific contemporary examples. You state it's verbal. So, I'm happy it's not physical!

Now, I need real life examples of the verbal persecution. Do they taunt you in the street, send nasty emails or what? And what do they say that persecutes you?
The issue is Christianity not me personally but then that is why we disagree. It would appear that it only takes one person to object to prayer whether in schools or courts or wherever and the whole world turns upside down to placate one person. The majority have no say whatsoever in a lot of cases and would have carried no weight. "to cause to suffer because" of belief seems to be a fair way of summing that up imho of course.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:05 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the state.

Funny thing is as an atheist Im not offended by any of the myriad religions in the world, as are none of my atheist friends as far as I know. I am mildy annoyed occaisionally by having people try to convert me to their faith when i've made it patently obvious Im not interested, but Im certainly not offended if someone else wants to believe.

Isnt it more those of certain faiths that are intollerant and offended by other faiths rather than those with "no faith at all"?

Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ImHere

Isnt it more those of certain faiths that are intollerant and offended by other faiths?
Probably & FB.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:08 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Probably & FB.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:11 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

To me American is a Christian country.....and if anyone don't like it.. in the words of Mr Newton.....they could always leave..........
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:13 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by krizzy
To me American is a Christian country.....and if anyone don't like it.. in the words of Mr Newton.....they could always leave..........
Same could been said for the UK.

Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:16 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Same could been said for the UK.
I'm sure Christmas will be a swear word soon.......
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing is as an atheist Im not offended by any of the myriad religions in the world, as are none of my atheist friends as far as I know. I am mildy annoyed occaisionally by having people try to convert me to their faith when i've made it patently obvious Im not interested, but Im certainly not offended if someone else wants to believe.
me neither.
couldn't give a monkeys.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=ImHere]Same could been said for the UK.[/QUOTE)

Out of the frying pan and into the fire in your case then.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
me neither.
couldn't give a monkeys.
Conmpletely agree with you two on this one. Atheist here. Couldn't care less what religion the USA is.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:23 pm
ImHere

Out of the frying pan and into the fire in your case then.
Oh no. As I said Im not bothered. If I ended up in a muslim country I couldnt care less as long as I wasnt expected to read the Koran and pray to Mecca 5 times a day.

Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh no. As I said Im not bothered. If I ended up in a muslim country I couldnt care less as long as I wasnt expected to read the Koran and pray to Mecca 5 times a day.
I know one thing for sure I bet you would not complain about followers being called to prayer five times a day. Could develop into an interesting situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.