Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Orleans - tourist advice

New Orleans - tourist advice

Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Orleans - tourist advice

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
New Orleans isn't like other cities, because bad neighborhoods and housing projects tend to be located in close proximity to affluent and tourist areas. So no, it isn't the same as it would be in other cities.
I take it you're not employed by the New Orleans' tourist board then?

We'll be careful. I do think what you describe is definitely not unique to New Orleans though. Lots of cities have so-called good/bad parts close to each other.

The thing to do is have a wallet with some cash and out-of-date credit cards in it. This is what you hand over if some gun toting maniac jumps out on you. If it happens a 2nd time you are in a bit of trouble - but by then I think it would be time to get out of Dodge...

So I take it you don't recommend a random tram trip to the end of the line and back then? Just to see a lot more of the city as a whole.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:15 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
I do think what you describe is definitely not unique to New Orleans though. Lots of cities have so-called good/bad parts close to each other.
In New Orleans, the good and bad areas are immediately adjacent to each other; it's an odd legacy of Jim Crow and slavery. It really isn't the same thing.

Ray Davies was shot near Esplanade and Burgundy, just north of Bourbon St. between the Quarter and Marigny. The eastern end of Bourbon Street is residential and dark at night; when it's dark, you're better off either using Decatur if on foot or else taking a cab.

So I take it you don't recommend a random tram trip to the end of the line and back then? Just to see a lot more of the city as a whole.
On the contrary, the street car on St. Charles is fine; it's a nice way to get around. But things start to deteriorate a few blocks north of the line, so don't just take a random stroll in that direction without knowing where you're going.

The Garden District is located to the south of St. Charles, and certainly worth seeing. The worst problem that you'll encounter there are potholes in the street.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

The eastern end of Bourbon Street is residential and dark at night; when it's dark, you're better off either using Decatur if on foot or else taking a cab.
It is also rather narrow. Took a walk along there on StreetView. Hoods up and walk/run as fast as poss through that bit. Advice taken.

How much it will get heeded could be another thing. Found this pub on the web:

The John, 2040 Burgundy St. (at Frenchmen). Relaxed neighborhood hangout with rockabilly, country, and punk on the jukebox. Named for the gold-painted toilet seats that serve as stools at the tables. With inexpensive stiff drinks served up in Mason jars, this spot for locals offers one of the best deals on Frenchmen st.

This is 2 or 3 blocks from the east end of Borbon Street. Know it?

On the contrary, the street car on St. Charles is fine; it's a nice way to get around. But things start to deteriorate a few blocks north of the line, so don't just take a random stroll in that direction without knowing where you're going.

The Garden District is located to the south of St. Charles, and certainly worth seeing. The worst problem that you'll encounter there are potholes in the street.
Cool & double cool cos we are staying in the Garden District.

Are you a Brit living in New Orleans? If after reading what I've said you fancy a pint then drop me a PM. Or anyone else who lives there really. I don't get to meet too many ex-pat Brits who live in the USA. Even if we have nothing else at all in common we can all compare just how bad our American accents are.

If not - no worries. Keep any other titbits of info coming along. Thanks.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I guess its just me but I used to live in LA and I think New Orleans is a filthy hole if I never went back it would be a day to soon......I was terribly disappointed with it way to seedy for me sorry chaps awful.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

New Orleans isn't like other cities, because bad neighborhoods and housing projects tend to be located in close proximity to affluent and tourist areas. So no, it isn't the same as it would be in other cities.
About 20 years ago when we went to New Orleans..there were 2 cops posted at the door of the hotel. We asked what areas were safe and what were the ones to avoid. One said...make a left...just make sure you don't turn right when you leave the hotel.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:50 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

This is 2 or 3 blocks from the east end of Borbon Street. Know it?
I don't know it, but that's just north of the whole Marigny bar scene, which is on Frenchmen between Washington Square and Esplanade. (They pronounce it "ES-plah-nayde" -- rhymes with "parade".) Given the location, you'll probably be the only tourists in the place.

I do see Poppy's point, but New Orleans is still a wonderfully unique place, just about the most "foreign" place you'll find in the United States, with a food and culture all of its own. It's definitely dodgy and has its rough edges, but it's worth it. Just watch where you walk.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
About 20 years ago when we went to New Orleans..there were 2 cops posted at the door of the hotel. We asked what areas were safe and what were the ones to avoid. One said...make a left...just make sure you don't turn right when you leave the hotel.
I've had similar experiences when staying in the Quarter north of Bourbon.

To be fair, the crime situation in the tourist zones has probably improved since Katrina, as many of the housing projects were destroyed and not rebuilt, while rents have skyrocketed due to the resulting housing shortage. Let's just say that not everyone who lives in New Orleans is upset about the decrease in population...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't know it, but that's just north of the whole Marigny bar scene, which is on Frenchmen between Washington Square and Esplanade. (They pronounce it "ES-plah-nayde" -- rhymes with "parade".) Given the location, you'll probably be the only tourists in the place.
Best hope the locals like the Beatles then.

We'll give it a go. If the place goes quiet and the jukebox gets turned off as we walk through the door - we'll turn round and walk (run!) straight back out again.

It's all part of going somewhere different though. What's the worst that can happen?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I guess its just me but I used to live in LA and I think New Orleans is a filthy hole if I never went back it would be a day to soon......I was terribly disappointed with it way to seedy for me sorry chaps awful.
I live in Louisiana and I have visited NO a couple of times. I know people here who LOVE the city (but tellingly don't live in it). I can't really see what all the fuss is about....I can't say I like it much at all.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

IcedGem is an unknown quantity at this point

All my in-laws are in NOLA so we visit pretty regularly.

I would not do any of the Katrina tours, but the swamps tours are pretty cool, I'm told the one at Jean Lafitte is good.

Both the zoo and aquarium are awesome, I would recommend them.

And while it sounds crazy, we took a couple of hours to wander around a cemetary (we went to Lake Lawn), some of the old mausoleums are amazing and provided some great photos if you're into that.

I can't really advise on vegetarian food, our must visit place is Lolas on Esplanade. They have a couple of vegetable options but I couldn't tell you how vegetarian they actually are.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot about Surrey's on Magazine street. I think they might actually even have tofu.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Again - thanks for all suggestions.

Just got back from a great weekend. I thoroughly recommend New Orleans as a great place to visit. Totally unique and one of the most friendliest places I've ever had the pleasure of going to. No hassles whatsoever.

Summed up on Sunday morning waiting for the bus into town. A guy pulls up in a van by a stop-light. 'Gis a lift mate' I cheekily asked. 'Sure - jump on in'. He happily gave me & 2 mates a lift into town for nothing more than a chat and a shake of hands.

*** Hotel:
http://www.stvguesthouse.com/stvgues...m/Welcome.html
$50 a night for your own room with a great, powerful en-suite shower. Not fancy - but cheap & good. Staff were very helpful. 5 min $1.25 bus ride from the town center.

*** Tourist thing
http://www.cajunencounters.com/swamp_tour.html
Picked up in a bus from the hotel and driven out into the swamps. A good 2 or 3 hours on a boat with an excellent tour guide. Great to see wild alligators etc. $49 all-in including the bus trip which included the driver giving a guided tour. Great value.

*** Bourbon Street area
Everything you hear about it - plus some. I loved being able to buy take-out drinks from various offies and just walking around. People dancing in the streets and way more. No edge to it whatsoever - just people out to have a good time. There are so many bars off of the various side-streets. Tacky? Sure it is but it also seems quite real. Hard to explain. It's just good.

*** Punk bar:
http://neworleans.citysearch.com/pro...ho_lounge.html
Saw some bands here on one night. Left about 4am and walked around with no hassles. Sights included a guy dancing whilst waving a table around and fire crackers getting left off whilst a band was playing. The fire crackers were mad - never seen that before. Nobody made a big deal of it so I assume it may happen quite a lot.

*** Vege food:
http://www.juansflyingburrito.com/index.php?s=menu
10 min walk from hotel. A Vege Punk Burrito is as good as it sounds.

*** Sport
Seeing the Saints in the Superdome was great. Before the game you can drink in a bar and then just walk to the game with drink in hand. Starts a bit early at midday but we forced ourselves home early the night before. Worth the effort if you are there and like the NFL.

Perhaps I just got lucky? Dunno - but all-in-all it was a bang-on weekend. The locals definitely seem very pleased to have 'their' tourists back. They treat you well. I know the things listed above may not be to everyone's taste but all the 'normal' tourist things I did as well were also good.