Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Orleans at Easter - Advice Wanted

Wikiposts

New Orleans at Easter - Advice Wanted

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Orleans at Easter - Advice Wanted

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Hi chaps.

Just popped down from the frozen north to pick your brains.

My other half has got it into her head that she wants us to go to New Orleans for a few days at Easter. Neither of us knows anything about the place. I'm looking for tips, please, on:

where to stay (or not)
things to do
where to eat
etc

Cheers, Souv.
Go to Fritzel's (think smokey, hole in the wall) and listen to Ryan Burrage play jazz.

If I remember correctly there's no entrance fee (or very small) and you only need to have a drink a set to stay and listen. We really really enjoyed it.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde is traditional.
And pure happiness, even post-Katrina.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We only spent a few days in N.O....we took a bus tour of the city...it was well worth it.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

OK don't do what I did... Don't go there for your friend's 21st birthday, go to Tippitinas to see the Neville Brothers and drink enormous amounts, stumble out of there at 1am into a taxi, into the French Quarter, and wander around completely plastered for several hours with no idea where you are, then get a taxi home and spend the next day throwing up.

Instead... I agree with what a previous poster said about finding an unusual hotel. I've stayed in some bizarre places there.

Beignets and coffee at 1am is fun.

There are so many great places to eat in the French Quarter - you just need to wander in a few places and give them a go. In one place they sat us on a balcony and we had one of the best meals I've ever had - no idea what it was called.

I was really disappointed with Preservation Hall, but I hate jazz.

Watch out for people tripping their faces off and asking for money from you so they can 'see the easter bunny again man' (this also happened to me).

Just take in the atmosphere - day and night.