Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No longer a UK resident

No longer a UK resident

Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice
Question No longer a UK resident

Does anybody know who I tell in the UK that I am no longer a resident for tax purposes? We have found a form on the internet but no address?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No longer a UK resident

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl
Does anybody know who I tell in the UK that I am no longer a resident for tax purposes? We have found a form on the internet but no address?
You inform the Inland Revenue with your tax return - fill in the foreign residence form.

Fill in P-85 for bank/BS accounts to get interest paid gross.

If you have been claiming Child Benefit, you need to tell the CB agency.

You may consider it prudent to continue to pay NI contributions - check their website.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I think P85 is the form for the HMRC (R105 is for banks etc.). If you stopped work part-way through the tax year, you can use this to get a refund.

As I understand it:

If you receive a self-assessment tax form each year, send the P85 to the address on your tax form and use the tax reference from your tax form.

If you don't receive a tax form, and were just PAYE, send the P85 to your employer's tax office: to find the address, look for the three digit office number (on your P45) or the first three digits of the "Employer's PAYE reference" (on your P60). Then you can look up the address using http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individuals/index.htm

If you have questions, the non-resident tax people are extremely helpful - google "HMRC residency" and then you can phone or email them.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

I'm in the process of trying to get some tax back. They just wrote to me asking how much interest I got on my savings in 2005-06 and 06-07. Thankfully I didn't get much so hopefully I'll get a nice big cheque soon.

They also just sent me a new tax code saying that I "appear to be between jobs". The fact they sent it to another country didn't seem to click with them!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dodgykeeps
I'm in the process of trying to get some tax back. They just wrote to me asking how much interest I got on my savings in 2005-06 and 06-07. Thankfully I didn't get much so hopefully I'll get a nice big cheque soon.

They also just sent me a new tax code saying that I "appear to be between jobs". The fact they sent it to another country didn't seem to click with them!
Until Toon filled out ALL of the requisite paperwork, the Belastingdienst (tax office) in Holland cheerfully mailed its blue envelopes to the US, asking for tax returns to be filled out.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:56 pm
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You inform the Inland Revenue with your tax return - fill in the foreign residence form.

Fill in P-85 for bank/BS accounts to get interest paid gross.

If you have been claiming Child Benefit, you need to tell the CB agency.

You may consider it prudent to continue to pay NI contributions - check their website.
Oops! you mean I am supposed to tell the UK government I dont live there anymore? Ahh well I guess after almost nine years my chance of any sort of refund is long gone.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Until Toon filled out ALL of the requisite paperwork, the Belastingdienst (tax office) in Holland cheerfully mailed its blue envelopes to the US, asking for tax returns to be filled out.
Yep despite having informed them that we sold our main (and only property), given them our overseas address, de-registered at the stadsdeelkantoor, they are still giving me 450 euros a month for my non-existent mortgage. A year later. Nice interest for me. And when they ask for it back with interest I will do the same thing as I did last time they overpaid me, which is prove that I gave them the correct info on numerous occasions and have the interest removed. Sukkels!