Reload this Page >

New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There's been quite a few from here that have moved back of their own free will.
yep, I suppose its not for everyone. My Aunt moved back to the UK, from Aussie, but then decided she made a mistake moving back (to the uk), then moved back out! to Aussie again!. each to their own, as the old saying goes, there are pros and cons for each country
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:26 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We're moving back of our own free will. Hubby's Brit; I'm American. Lived in the UK when we first met/married (7 yrs ago).

We both work full-time here in the U.S. Our healthcare is partially paid for by our employer. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and after everything was said and done, it still cost me close to 40K out-of-pocket.

Going back in 10 days and can't wait.

P.S. Celebrating 5-years cancer free on August 3.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Hi there, purely out of interest, why do you fancy moving back to the UK its not often, people move back out of free will, but more visa issue related?
I'm planning on moving back out of my own free will - not visa related. In fact, I'm married to a USC and could get a GC - but not going for that option. I've had my fill of the US - it's been an interesting journey, but I'm ready to go home!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yep, I suppose its not for everyone. My Aunt moved back to the UK, from Aussie, but then decided she made a mistake moving back (to the uk), then moved back out! to Aussie again!. each to their own, as the old saying goes, there are pros and cons for each country
Exactly and for many it takes a move to another country before one really appreciate how great the UK is. You're still in the UK aren't you?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of folks on here that realised the grass wasn't necessarily greener...try reading the moving back to the UK forum

Where are you headed?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:41 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
We're moving back of our own free will. Hubby's Brit; I'm American. Lived in the UK when we first met/married (7 yrs ago).

We both work full-time here in the U.S. Our healthcare is partially paid for by our employer. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and after everything was said and done, it still cost me close to 40K out-of-pocket.

Going back in 10 days and can't wait.

P.S. Celebrating 5-years cancer free on August 3.
Congratulations on being cancer free.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Exactly and for many it takes a move to another country before one really appreciate how great the UK is. You're still in the UK aren't you?
yep still here! (so i know im still looking at the U.S from a holiday perspective)
In a nutshell, (for us personally) its considered the 'better way of life'
but then what is he better way of life? It can't really be defined.
A better way of life, is not being able to afford healthcare etc, and paying (as I see on here) dentistry costs that go through the roof
so immediate downsides, are those kind of things. oh and cable etc etc, seems to be a fortune in the states for some reason?
Plus side is recreation, it seems (at the moment) after all the digging, cheaper to run a business, self employed in the states than the UK, year round sunshine.....(depending on the state!) either way, its one of those things, that we would always wonder what if? if we didnt
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yep still here! (so i know im still looking at the U.S from a holiday perspective)
In a nutshell, (for us personally) its considered the 'better way of life'
but then what is he better way of life? It can't really be defined.
A better way of life, is not being able to afford healthcare etc, and paying (as I see on here) dentistry costs that go through the roof
so immediate downsides, are those kind of things. oh and cable etc etc, seems to be a fortune in the states for some reason?
Plus side is recreation, it seems (at the moment) after all the digging, cheaper to run a business, self employed in the states than the UK, year round sunshine.....(depending on the state!) either way, its one of those things, that we would always wonder what if? if we didnt
The 'what if' is one of the reasons we came too.

I've been here for 14 years and I'm starting to feel more at home. The reasons you gave didn't even come close to what I missed in the UK. Apart from the old friends and family reason the main thing I missed was my life...the life I'd been used to for decades.

Recreation is great here if you have the time to enjoy it. My husband transferred his UK holiday allowance to the US.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Goldenstate - Pick from one of these phrases:

"The grass.....it's always greener".

"If you don't try, you'll never know"

Honestly, with this whole expat thang, in my experience, no-one can advise you or prepare you in advance; everyone reacts in their own way. Some things are better...some things are worse. In some regards (actually, most regards), the easy route (if you have a choice) is to stay put and never know. It's almost a bit "matrix" like - do you take the blue pill, or the red? Because once you go down the rabbit hole, there really is no turning back! Things'll never be the same thereafter, for good or bad - that's why you get a lot of "ping-pongers".

And that's my drunken Saturday night wisdom for ya! Just got back in from a belter
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Dan725
Goldenstate - Pick from one of these phrases:

"The grass.....it's always greener".

"If you don't try, you'll never know"

Honestly, with this whole expat thang, in my experience, no-one can advise you or prepare you in advance; everyone reacts in their own way. Some things are better...some things are worse. In some regards (actually, most regards), the easy route (if you have a choice) is to stay put and never know. It's almost a bit "matrix" like - do you take the blue pill, or the red? Because once you go down the rabbit hole, there really is no turning back! Things'll never be the same thereafter, for good or bad - that's why you get a lot of "ping-pongers".

And that's my drunken Saturday night wisdom for ya! Just got back in from a belter
Good advice Dan. You should get out go on a bender more often.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

NikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really nice

Originally Posted by paul_lynda
Hi all

We are Paul & Lynda, just joined the site as we are planning to emigrate to Sarasota this year. We will hopefully be buying a franchise over there, and our immigration attorney thinks we stand a good chance of getting a Visa.

We are seeking advice from those in the know about the little things that they don't always tell you - the different types of insurance that are required; with little or no credit history in the US, what problems has that caused you; do any UK electrical items work in the US, things like that.

Anybody who has any snippets of information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
I would think very, VERY carefully about buying a franchise. You will be forced to sign a contract that very strongly favors the franchisor and will most likely have to pay franchise fees every month regardless of whether you make a profit. I strongly recommend that you have a competent attorney who specializes in this area of law review any franchise agreement you are contemplating in detail before signing.

Perhaps more importantly, you need to really look carefully at where you are going to starting a business. I say this as someone who lives in Sarasota--most businesses are only hanging on by a thread here. I have lived in Florida my whole life and the economy of this state is far worse now than I have ever seen. The economy in Florida has been fueled largely by population growth and the associated need for new construction. Due to a number of reasons--primarily the high cost of living--the population in Florida is now holding steady or even slightly declining. Property values are dropping like a rock. I am trying to sell my house and our realtor has told us that he expects real estate prices to drop another 30% in the next two years (it has already dropped about 20% in the past two years).

With regard to insurance, in addition to the extortionate cost of health insurance, expect to pay $1,500 or more for homeowners insurance per year (or at least twice that if you live close to the coast).

Sorry to be a downer, but just wanted to give you some facts to think about.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NikonShooter
I would think very, VERY carefully about buying a franchise. You will be forced to sign a contract that very strongly favors the franchisor and will most likely have to pay franchise fees every month....
Sorry to be a downer, but just wanted to give you some facts to think about.
All franchises are favoured for the Franchisor NOT the franchisee! (thats called good business) if you signed a McDonalds franchise, you wouldnt expect not to pay monthly fees, etc for the courtesy of using their name and branding. That said, according to whichfranchise.com 95% of new franchises 'make it' as opposed to just 5% of independently owned businesses.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:53 am
Just Joined

NikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really nice

All franchises are favoured for the Franchisor NOT the franchisee! (thats called good business) if you signed a McDonalds franchise, you wouldnt expect not to pay monthly fees, etc for the courtesy of using their name and branding. That said, according to whichfranchise.com 95% of new franchises 'make it' as opposed to just 5% of independently owned businesses.
Whichfranchise.com: "Official online partner of the British Franchise Association." Good unbiased source you've cited. [/sarcasm]
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Whichfranchise.com: "Official online partner of the British Franchise Association." Good unbiased source you've cited. [/sarcasm][/QUOTE]

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NikonShooter
Whichfranchise.com: "Official online partner of the British Franchise Association." Good unbiased source you've cited. [/sarcasm]
It was one of those websites!, i don't know why though, you feel the need to be, in your words 'sarcastic' something rattled your cage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.