Reload this Page >

New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

paul_lynda is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

Hi all

We are Paul & Lynda, just joined the site as we are planning to emigrate to Sarasota this year. We will hopefully be buying a franchise over there, and our immigration attorney thinks we stand a good chance of getting a Visa.

We are seeking advice from those in the know about the little things that they don't always tell you - the different types of insurance that are required; with little or no credit history in the US, what problems has that caused you; do any UK electrical items work in the US, things like that.

Anybody who has any snippets of information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

Originally Posted by paul_lynda
Hi all

We are Paul & Lynda, just joined the site as we are planning to emigrate to Sarasota this year. We will hopefully be buying a franchise over there, and our immigration attorney thinks we stand a good chance of getting a Visa.

We are seeking advice from those in the know about the little things that they don't always tell you - the different types of insurance that are required; with little or no credit history in the US, what problems has that caused you; do any UK electrical items work in the US, things like that.

Thanks
You're probably thinking about an E-2 visa
you will find it not very popular on this site because its limited value ..but it you have no children ..only want to come to the US for a limited number of years then its doable

taxes, insurance etc far exceed what you pay in the UK
on a Florida phone bill alone there are 9 taxes...not a lot but still there
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

paul_lynda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
You're probably thinking about an E-2 visa
you will find it not very popular on this site because its limited value ..but it you have no children ..only want to come to the US for a limited number of years then its doable

taxes, insurance etc far exceed what you pay in the UK
on a Florida phone bill alone there are 9 taxes...not a lot but still there
Hi Ray, yes it is the E2 visa. I (Paul) am going to be running the business and Lynda will be going out to get a job, with a view to getting a Green Card in 4-5 years. It is just us two, kids all grown up (although they would probably jump at the chance to join us if they could!).

Thanks for the heads up on the insurances/taxes. 9 taxes??!!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ray, yes it is the E2 visa. I (Paul) am going to be running the business and Lynda will be going out to get a job, with a view to getting a Green Card in 4-5 years.
How's that going to work? Are you using an actual immigration lawyer, with a law degree, who is recommended? It sounds like you are making up visa categories or are confused about the E-2.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:05 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Get the visa first, then worry about trivial stuff like electricals.

As Ray asked, do you have kids? This is very big consideration because they'll be on their own when they reach 21.

The E2 doesn't offer a direct path to permanent residency. If your business fails or doesn't generate sufficient turnover, you have to go back.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:06 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I missed your reply. I don't think you understand. Your wife can't just get a job and get a green card in 4-5 years.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ray, yes it is the E2 visa. I (Paul) am going to be running the business and Lynda will be going out to get a job, with a view to getting a Green Card in 4-5 years. It is just us two, kids all grown up (although they would probably jump at the chance to join us if they could!).

Thanks for the heads up on the insurances/taxes. 9 taxes??!!
Phone taxes are the least of your issues. You plan to get an E2 and run the business... fine. But your wife "going out to get a job"? On what visa? How does she plan to get a green card in 4-5 years? Have you left some information out?

What will you do about health insurance? With grown children you're in middle age... expect to pay thousands per month for decent coverage.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its just me but it smells like Copsey
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:51 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the spouse of an E2 visa holder can apply for an EAD and seek work elsewhere...? whether it be E2 Investment based or E2 Employment based.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I missed your reply. I don't think you understand. Your wife can't just get a job and get a green card in 4-5 years.
Perfectly possible if you don't mind the risk. Spouse gets an EAD and can therefore work. Wife's employer can sponsor for GC in categories EB1, 2 or 3 depending on her skills. It can be dicey if they leave to renew the E2 visa, but is less of an issue if they stay landlocked. And, of course, she needs the skills and a malleable employer.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:35 pm
Peace onion

I stand corrected. Apologies to the OP.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and goodluck.

I suggest having a read of the wiki, it answers your questions so far.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
What will you do about health insurance? With grown children you're in middle age... expect to pay thousands per month for decent coverage.
I will be looking for health insurance when I am close to 70.
Was your quote an exaggeration or will I need to win the lottery?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by audio
I will be looking for health insurance when I am close to 70.
Was your quote an exaggeration or will I need to win the lottery?
No exaggeration, will be massively expensive at 70. Then you will likely spend a lot for actual doc visits and the like. I would seriously evaluate the cost before making the move.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
No exaggeration, will be massively expensive at 70. Then you will likely spend a lot for actual doc visits and the like. I would seriously evaluate the cost before making the move.
I agree, no good burying your head in the sand and then suddenly one day wake up to find you can't afford to have treatment here

Do lots of research on the health insurance costs here, before you go too far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.