Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Wikiposts

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by Steve_
I was talking about it from the layman's perspective. If you are resident in the UK then you pay taxes there. Yes you can be non-resident and pay taxes there but generally speaking if you don't live there and don't pay taxes there it should be obvious (until proven otherwise) you aren't qualified to use social services there.
You continue to make a link between paying taxes and receiving social services. In many cases, especially with the NHS--the topic of this thread, that link is just not there. You can't validly perpetuate this myth by claiming a lay perspective.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:54 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You continue to make a link between paying taxes and receiving social services. In many cases, especially with the NHS--the topic of this thread, that link is just not there. You can't validly perpetuate this myth by claiming a lay perspective.
The whole purpose of this exercise is clearly to stop people who don't pay taxes there generally, i.e. non-residents, from using the NHS.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The whole purpose of this exercise is clearly to stop people who don't pay taxes there generally, i.e. non-residents, from using the NHS.
It's non-residents, not non-taxpayers! It really isn't that difficult to get your head round the concept.

I'm sure the UK government has measures both in place and proposed for those who owe UK taxes and don't pay them. But this has nothing to do with policing who gets charged and who doesn't for using NHS services.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Read up on the Real ID Act to cut a long story short.

Well, I pulled it up and didn't fancy spending the rest of the evening dredging through all of that, but I did spot the following pretty quickly:

"In the United States, driver's licenses are issued by the states, not by the federal government. Additionally, because the United States has no national identification card and because of the widespread use of cars, driver's licenses have been used as a de facto standard form of identification within the country."

- which is exactly what I said.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is all a farce.

If you were refused treatment at least you would be guarantted a piece in one of the Nationals, that rare.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We don't refuse treatment, but state that payment arrangements must be made first.

("We" as spoken in my role as a NHS doctor)
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, my mom is currently being treated at the Royal Marsden once a week and in order for her to go there under the NHS they asked her for proof of Citizenship and a recent utility bill. So it seems proof of Citizenship and current residency is needed for NHS treatment now at least at the Royal Marsden. Maybe local NHS hospitals don't bother asking for it? She wasn't asked for it at her local hospital.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:12 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Out of interest, my mom is currently being treated at the Royal Marsden once a week and in order for her to go there under the NHS they asked her for proof of Citizenship and a recent utility bill. So it seems proof of Citizenship and current residency is needed for NHS treatment now at least at the Royal Marsden. Maybe local NHS hospitals don't bother asking for it? She wasn't asked for it at her local hospital.

Well, the Royal Marsden is a nationally acclaimed cancer treatment hospital so I guess they get patients from all over the UK (obviously there are patients who are originally not from the UK but have British passports) and of course they have probably had problems with health tourism and are cracking down on it. The Jamaican cleaner at our local train station once told me that all her relatives in Jamaica would fly to the UK and stay with friends or relatives to get free treatment on the NHS.

Cancer drugs and treatment is - as we all know - very expensive and I guess they need to check that only patients who are entitled to treatment free of charge on the NHS receive it.

Hope your mum is ok by the way
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well, the Royal Marsden is a nationally acclaimed cancer treatment hospital so I guess they get patients from all over the UK (obviously there are patients who are originally not from the UK but have British passports) and of course they have probably had problems with health tourism and are cracking down on it.

Hope your mum is ok by the way
I'm sure and its actually a good thing they are doing this now. Of course it's bad for us ex-pats I'm going out to UK week after next to see how she is doing.