Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Faye1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...h-tourism.html

Not good news!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:01 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

I wonder how they could possibly police it effectively. There is really no way of telling where someone is or isn't living, or if you have or haven't recently returned to the UK. Are they going to challenge every patient to demonstrate their eligibility? Trying to staff that would be an enormous challenge!

More hot air me thinks!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:03 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

people who fly to Britain to exploit the NHS will be denied free care.

The ban preventing visitors and failed asylum seekers from milking the system is likely to come into force by next April.

Good news and about bloody time, we have been a soft touch for far to long.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

I'm all for stopping people exploiting the system, but it seems a bit harsh that expat pensioners who have spent their whole life paying UK tax and national health contributions are now entitled to nothing....

On a personal level - I've been in the US for 8 years but I work for a UK company and so pay both UK tax and national insurance in the UK.... I always assumed I would have the NHS as a fallback option, but may have to re-think that backup plan!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faye1
I'm all for stopping people exploiting the system, but it seems a bit harsh that expat pensioners who have spent their whole life paying UK tax and national health contributions are now entitled to nothing....

On a personal level - I've been in the US for 8 years but I work for a UK company and so pay both UK tax and national insurance in the UK.... I always assumed I would have the NHS as a fallback option, but may have to re-think that backup plan!
You haven't had that option for a long time. The requirement for non-emergency NHS treatment is residency, not payment of NI.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:20 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You haven't had that option for a long time. The requirement for non-emergency NHS treatment is residency, not payment of NI.
As the article says - the existing rules have not been robustly inforced. So in reality she has.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

I've seen my family NHS doctor several times for check ups/smear tests etc over the past 8 years.

He knows I'm based in the US and always asks how life is going in NY and has never quibbled over me being a non-resident up until now....
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The new rules may lead to all patients being asked for proof of residence, such as a passport or electricity bill.
I can produce a passport.

Although I doubt anyone who looks and sounds British will ever be asked.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:37 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I can produce a passport.

I was thinking exactly the same thing! Mr. Smith or Jones need not worry!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
My husband was, had to produce utility bills with his name on to get outpatient treatment at our local hospital.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
My husband was, had to produce utility bills with his name on to get outpatient treatment at our local hospital.
This is absolute garbage.

Finally the government is acting on the issue. My problem lies with the enforcement. I have a British Passport. Never spent more than 4 continuous months in the UK. I own a home in London, sometimes rented out but I have many utility bills in my name. I should not be entitled to the NHS. They need to find a better way to police this.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:57 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

What about people who have no utility bills? Those living in shared houses where all bills are included? Or students in halls of residence? Seems like a daft way to prove entitlement to anything.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faye1
I've seen my family NHS doctor several times for check ups/smear tests etc over the past 8 years.

He knows I'm based in the US and always asks how life is going in NY and has never quibbled over me being a non-resident up until now....
But it HAS been the case for a while. It is s residency based entitlement, so if you are no longer a UK resident then you are no longer entitled to NHS services

And I have got some treatment in the Uk recently. I have a UK address, utility bills, and it was not a problem
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
As the article says
It's the DM. I refuse to read it.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.