New Jersey Driver's License

Old May 13th 2018, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

SockToy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Jersey Driver's License

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No US state exchanges a GB licence.
this just isnt true.

I am in NJ, and I had to go to the DMV, do the written (computer) multiple choice test, show my eyesight worked, and then they issued my US license based on having a valid UK one.
Old May 13th 2018, 10:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SockToy

this just isnt true.

I am in NJ, and I had to go to the DMV, do the written (computer) multiple choice test, show my eyesight worked, and then they issued my US license based on having a valid UK one.
That's fine but that's not a licence exchange, i.e. you swap one licence for another with no exam required.
Old May 14th 2018, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That's fine but that's not a licence exchange, i.e. you swap one licence for another with no exam required.

In NYS you can exchange a Canadian license for a New York State license with both auto and motorcycle with absolutely no testing other then eye test and photo ops.
Old May 14th 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

In NYS you can exchange a Canadian license for a New York State license with both auto and motorcycle with absolutely no testing other then eye test and photo ops.
Several states exchange Canadian licences and some exchange other countries also (eg German licences in Massachusetts) but BritinParis is saying that no states exchange BRITISH licences.
Old May 20th 2018, 3:06 am
Just Joined

SockToy is an unknown quantity at this point

You do have to to do the written test. This is very very very simple. I spent one night online doing practice questions and passed.
You do have to do the eye exam.
You do not have to do a practical driving test of any sort, if you have a valid british license.

Technically I suppose it's not an exchange - you do keep your British license. However, you do not have to take the NJ test, because you have a valid british license. Call it what you will ;p
Old May 20th 2018, 10:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SockToy
You do have to to do the written test. This is very very very simple. I spent one night online doing practice questions and passed.
You do have to do the eye exam.
You do not have to do a practical driving test of any sort, if you have a valid british license.

Technically I suppose it's not an exchange - you do keep your British license. However, you do not have to take the NJ test, because you have a valid british license. Call it what you will ;p
That is very true and worth noting
Old Oct 4th 2018, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

I meant to update on this. I did my NJ driver's license without having to take a practical driving test. Yet another great reason to live in the Garden State. I did have to take the eye exam and a computer test, with the world's rudest employees, all of which I took with good humour and a smile cause...I wanted my damn license!!
Old Oct 4th 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PootleK
I meant to update on this. I did my NJ driver's license without having to take a practical driving test. Yet another great reason to live in the Garden State. I did have to take the eye exam and a computer test, with the world's rudest employees, all of which I took with good humour and a smile cause...I wanted my damn license!!
haha!!! That was a similar level of customer service we received last summer in a NJ DMV!! Hope you are enjoying the Garden State, fantastic place.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PootleK
At the Lawrenceville DMV they have mastered rudnest. Maybe they have an internal competition
Old Nov 6th 2018, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Sarren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chins
At the Lawrenceville DMV they have mastered rudnest. Maybe they have an internal competition
We've just got our NJ licenses after moving from the UK a month ago. Our relocation agent now takes all of her clients to the DMV in Washington, NJ, as she says they are the nicest folks. We had no problems and the staff were actually friendly! As people have said having a UK license means you only need to pass the simple eye test and take the theory. Now onto getting a car for ourselves!