Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Jersey Driver's License

New Jersey Driver's License

Old May 2nd 2018, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Jersey Driver's License

I recently moved to New Jersey and got my non driver's ID. I'm just not in the mood for taking 3 months of lessons and then taking a test as I don't require a car at the moment. However, I have just learnt that New Jersey will swap some foreign driver's licenses for NJ ones, only requiring the written test. Does anyone know if the UK is one of the foreign licenses they'll accept?
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:05 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Jersey Driver's License

In NJ you will have to take both the written (on a computer screen) and road test. Both easy peasy.

At some driving test centres eg. Wayne the road test isn’t taken on public roads....and only takes 10 mins. What makes you think you have to do 3 months of lessons?

You can go to any testing centre in NJ eg. If you have to wait a few weeks in northern NJ then go somewhere like Eatontown (where the staff are kinder too!)
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No US state exchanges a GB licence.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:07 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add - they can’t keep your GB driving licence either
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
At some driving test centres eg. Wayne the road test isn’t taken on public roads....and only takes 10 mins. What makes you think you have to do 3 months of lessons?
The NJ driver's Manual says you after you get an examination permit you must practise with a supervising adult for at least 3 months before taking the driving test and getting your probationary license.

However it seems like maybe foreign driving experience might count for driving experience. I don't know, their literature isn't exactly clear. I'll have to do the unthinkable and phone them (or go visit them ARGH)
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

In 2015 they accepted my UK drivers license to waive the road test, so unless it's changed in the last few years you don't need to do the road test.

You do still have to do the theory test though.

Last edited by Olly_; May 3rd 2018 at 12:55 am.
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Geckz is an unknown quantity at this point

With a full valid UK car drivers licence - you just need to pass the theory. You do not need to do the actual driving test

With the UK motorcycle licence - you need to do both the theory and the actual driving test.
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:41 am

Arrow Re: New Jersey Driver's License

Originally Posted by Olly_
In 2015 they accepted my UK drivers license to waive the road test, so unless it's changed in the last few years you don't need to do the road test.

You do still have to do the theory test though.
It did change! My husband had an NJ driving licence for 8 years, then relocated with his employer back to Singapore and then Switzerland.

He moved back to NJ in July 2016 and printed off his (clean) NJ driving record when applying for a new driving licence, hoping that a new one would be reissued; sadly no chance. He had to do the theory test and the road test.

However, the guy doing the road test was ex-military pleasantly surprised to be testing an adult instead of a 17 year old high school kid and was happily chatting about his tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and asking my spouse about the countries he has lived in....and then apologized as he was so engrossed in conversation that he had forgotten to tell him to take a few turns. The examiner
admitted that within the first minute that he knew my husband was an experienced and capable driver so it was basically a formality that he had to do the road test.
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

We did not have to do road tests in NJ in 2012 and despite what others have said, I've never been able to find anything official that says the rules changed and a road test will definitely be required. The official line for non citizens is that a road test is possibly required. I suspect it depends on which center you go to and who you speak to on the day. New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission - Licenses For Non-citizens
Old May 4th 2018, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to NJ last summer and neither my husband or l had to do our practical tests, we only had to do the written tests. You do need to do a bit of revision for the written test but there are online tests you can do for practice.
Old May 6th 2018, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

II believe whether or not you have to take a test depends on which country the license you wish to exchange was issued in and whether or not there is a treaty on accepting each others licenses. For example, when I moved to Quebec 3 years ago, I was told that there is a treaty between USA and Canada on this, and I just swapped my NJ license for a Quebec one with no written or road test required. The exchange has to be done within 6 months of arriving, though.
Old May 6th 2018, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't exchange our U.K. licenses, the fact that we held a U.K. license was sufficient to avoid the practical test.
Old May 6th 2018, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

PeterNem is an unknown quantity at this point

Another NJ nod here for having gotten an NJ license without a road test. Just the theory test.
Old May 7th 2018, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We moved to NJ last summer and neither my husband or l had to do our practical tests, we only had to do the written tests. You do need to do a bit of revision for the written test but there are online tests you can do for practice.
Did my theory earlier this year, no road test.

Another nod to revising. I failed twice much to my wife's amusement. Read the manual throughly. They have various ways to get your first license as a 15,16 etc year old. Why I needed to know this as a 50 year old i'm not sure but i had quite a few questions on it.
I am also well aware that beer is the biggest source of DUI's. That has helped my driving come on leaps and bounds .
Where you stop for fire and schools kept coming up and who has right of way.

They just forgot to train you in how to drive where people only indicate once they have completed a lane change

Make sure you have your 6 points of ID in order before you visit a test centre
Make sure it does theory tests - some MVC offices are not test centres
Make sure you have a good 3 hours free - my excuse for failing the second time round was i needed to get to the airport and rushed.
Old May 12th 2018, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, my driver's licence should arrive from the UK any day now (I'd left it at a friend's house in London) so as soon as I get it I'll give it a go and report back here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.