Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to forum

New to forum

Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold
Default New to forum

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking here for some time so thought it was about time that I registered.

Short and boring bio: as you can probably tell from my name I was born in Norfolk (Great Yarmouth to be exact) but moved all over England until we went to Scotland when I was about 9. When I was 19 I decided to go to Germany for a year to work and stayed for 20 (long story). Married a USC and moved to Maryland in 1991, then moved to Colorado Springs in 1997 (when you do the math that really ages me!!) After my husband died in 2000 I thought I'd stay here until my aging Golden Retriever went to the great dog kennel in the sky (couldn't put her through a long move) but am still here. I've decided to get my citizenship and had a couple of questions which I'm going to post on the immigration forum.

Maybe I'll be able to make some sort of contribution to this forum but it'll be hard keeping up with all you youngsters.

Joan
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to forum

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking here for some time so thought it was about time that I registered.

Short and boring bio: as you can probably tell from my name I was born in Norfolk (Great Yarmouth to be exact) but moved all over England until we went to Scotland when I was about 9. When I was 19 I decided to go to Germany for a year to work and stayed for 20 (long story). Married a USC and moved to Maryland in 1991, then moved to Colorado Springs in 1997 (when you do the math that really ages me!!) After my husband died in 2000 I thought I'd stay here until my aging Golden Retriever went to the great dog kennel in the sky (couldn't put her through a long move) but am still here. I've decided to get my citizenship and had a couple of questions which I'm going to post on the immigration forum.

Maybe I'll be able to make some sort of contribution to this forum but it'll be hard keeping up with all you youngsters.

Joan
ohhhh i say.... youngsters...i like that and a warm welcome to b.expats
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:51 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Aww welcome Joan and just to let you know not everyone is a youngster, only at heart Joan. Or in some cases never growing up.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:59 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Joan and welcome to the Nuthouse

A lot of us aren't as young as you think
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Joan, that's me Mum's name No spring chicken here either.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Welcome Joan, that's me Mum's name No spring chicken here either.
Welcome to BE Joan. I have been here 10 yrs but if anything happpened to my husband I would be on the first plane home. Do you have family that keep you in the US.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE Joan. I have been here 10 yrs but if anything happpened to my husband I would be on the first plane home. Do you have family that keep you in the US.
Yes, I have a son in New Jersey who just got married last year so it looks like he's here to stay. Unfortunately I have 2 aging parents in Scotland who I visited a couple of weeks ago so it's a difficult decision to make. Plus I've been gone from Britain for over 35 years now so I don't even know where my home is any more. I just keep trucking along.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to you Joan, from a BE youngster!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have a son in New Jersey who just got married last year so it looks like he's here to stay. Unfortunately I have 2 aging parents in Scotland who I visited a couple of weeks ago so it's a difficult decision to make. Plus I've been gone from Britain for over 35 years now so I don't even know where my home is any more. I just keep trucking along.
Snap....I have a 21 yr old daughter who wouldn't want to go back to the UK and aging parents in the UK. BTW we live in New Jersey.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:53 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, my karma is worth 5 blue boxes, oh yeah, I'm good!!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There are people in the US with jobs in one place, parents 2,000 miles away and kids another 1,000 miles away. Not easy being in the sandwich generation (hint: you are in the middle).

With the brief info you've given, I would get your citizenship and then you'd be free to visit / live with your parents in Scotland if they should need you. You may want to live back here if/when grandchildren come along.

Amy
(Yank, long story, Norwich Canary supporter, longer story, married to a Dutchman who adores golden retrievers)
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Snap....I have a 21 yr old daughter who wouldn't want to go back to the UK and aging parents in the UK. BTW we live in New Jersey.
Whereabouts? My son lives in Highland Park, but he's never lived in the UK. My first husband was German and he lived there until we moved over here.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There are people in the US with jobs in one place, parents 2,000 miles away and kids another 1,000 miles away. Not easy being in the sandwich generation (hint: you are in the middle).

With the brief info you've given, I would get your citizenship and then you'd be free to visit / live with your parents in Scotland if they should need you. You may want to live back here if/when grandchildren come along.

Amy
(Yank, long story, Norwich Canary supporter, longer story, married to a Dutchman who adores golden retrievers)
Yup, that's what I thought. However, I'm in a relationship now and his father is 88 so he has to be around for him for the time being. Never easy, is it?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's what I thought. However, I'm in a relationship now and his father is 88 so he has to be around for him for the time being. Never easy, is it?
Nope. But keeping your options open and letting the ones you love know that they are loved -- that's important.

Are you an only child? If so then the pull to Scotland would be even more.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Joan
Welcome too Joan from another newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.