Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to forum

New to forum

Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New to forum

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Nope. But keeping your options open and letting the ones you love know that they are loved -- that's important.

Are you an only child? If so then the pull to Scotland would be even more.
No, I have a brother but he spends most of his time in Nepal and he's not really the most reliable person.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
No, I have a brother but he spends most of his time in Nepal and he's not really the most reliable person.
Then for all intents and purposes you're the only child -- and the only daughter, which can mean a greater sense of duty.

I went through a lot of heartache after my grandmother died and my grandfather was alone. My mother and my uncle couldn't/wouldn't move where he lived, and he wouldn't leave the house he'd shared with my grandmother for many years.

I seriously considered moving the 300 miles to where he lived, but I had two children whose schooling would have been seriously upset, not to mention my then-husband whose job is here. He has since died, but I still have regrets at the way my family handled the situation.

How do you like Colorado Springs? Would you rather be nearer your son in NJ? It's a bit closer to the UK in NJ as well.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:10 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

There's a one eyed Yellow idol on the road to Katmandu.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'll be able to make some sort of contribution to this forum but it'll be hard keeping up with all you youngsters.

Joan
Hi Joan; Ray's 7 times your age anyway so you're still a youngster.

Welcome to BE.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Welcome Joan.

I'm not even a Brit - and my only true link to the UK is that I had a Brit elementary and high school education.

I'll leave the board one of these days - once my therapist gives me the green light that is, or I might just have withdrawal convulsions whilst seeing yellow emoticons flying past at warp speed
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Then for all intents and purposes you're the only child -- and the only daughter, which can mean a greater sense of duty.

I went through a lot of heartache after my grandmother died and my grandfather was alone. My mother and my uncle couldn't/wouldn't move where he lived, and he wouldn't leave the house he'd shared with my grandmother for many years.

I seriously considered moving the 300 miles to where he lived, but I had two children whose schooling would have been seriously upset, not to mention my then-husband whose job is here. He has since died, but I still have regrets at the way my family handled the situation.

How do you like Colorado Springs? Would you rather be nearer your son in NJ? It's a bit closer to the UK in NJ as well.
Colorado Springs is okay but it sometimes feels very isolated here - out in the middle of nowhere. Go south you get to Pueblo. I haven't found anything to do there. Go north and you get to Denver but fighting with the traffic isn't my idea of fun. I miss driving a few miles and getting to another town, here you have to drive for hours to get anywhere. Plus Colorado Springs is very conservative, quite the opposite of me. I'm an aging hippy at heart. However there are pockets of like-minded people.

I've thought about going back east but then I'd have to move, perish the thought. Plus find another job, horrors!! Then again, my son is just finishing up his PhD - just his disertation to go which my daughter-in-law assures me WILL be finished next year so then he'll have to go into the real world and find a job so there's no guarantee that he'll be staying there. So there would be me moving in with him moving out!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:49 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Joan... (I have an Auntie Joan, turns 90 this year!)

I just realised that at the right old age of 41, I am what was once considered 'middle-aged'... ug!! Please don't tell me it still is!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:54 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What a good intro ... thats just how to do it ...
other newbies follow suit ... welcome kiddo .....
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an aging hippy at heart. However there are pockets of like-minded people.
Have you been to Boulder?

You might like Austin. we've got loads of aging and young hippies alike!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:52 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking here for some time so thought it was about time that I registered.

Short and boring bio: as you can probably tell from my name I was born in Norfolk (Great Yarmouth to be exact) but moved all over England until we went to Scotland when I was about 9. When I was 19 I decided to go to Germany for a year to work and stayed for 20 (long story). Married a USC and moved to Maryland in 1991, then moved to Colorado Springs in 1997 (when you do the math that really ages me!!) After my husband died in 2000 I thought I'd stay here until my aging Golden Retriever went to the great dog kennel in the sky (couldn't put her through a long move) but am still here. I've decided to get my citizenship and had a couple of questions which I'm going to post on the immigration forum.

Maybe I'll be able to make some sort of contribution to this forum but it'll be hard keeping up with all you youngsters.

Joan

Nice to meet you. There are alot of strange people here so get into Leslies clique soon as possible.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:16 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Welcome to BE Joan.... I hope you enjoy this place as much as the rest of us... (even though I think it helps if you're a little mad to begin with....)
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:51 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Joan

Yet another Norfolk person on here.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:59 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Joan,

Welcome to the land of the free, with all that FREE speech. You can say all you want on this forum, just aslong as you don't talk about sweaty arse and bollocks, if you steer well clear of that subject you'll be alright!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.