Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New consoles

New consoles

Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:08 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New consoles

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Have you learnt nothing from your time on the Internet?
I'm supposed to learn something from it and I thought it was just for fun
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:13 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

...having...trouble...refusing...to...be...drawn.. .
Originally Posted by USBound
wow you're well into the PR aint ya.
Them thar's fightin' words.

1. it has 1xHDMI see
Specs
Got it from here. I'm extremely sorry to relied on a patently unreliable source. I lose at the internet. Anyway, the point I was making remains.

2. "most powerful" is a VERY misleading statement...
...which is why I qualified it with "probably".
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
...which is why I qualified it with "probably".
lol - probably implies knowledge and insight... i think "possibly" was what you intended.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Yeah I know the res - my 18 month old radeon and 18 month old athlon 64 both do far cry at 1920 x 1200 (just about)

I know this is a console thread - I started it, I am definitely into the gameplay aspect of consoles, I was merely highlighting that the marketing that sony has put out implying that the PS3 is the best thing available period is wrong....
I agree that sony's marketting is simply bad... but its doing its job and getting people buzzed.

pc's are still WAY behind 360 & ps3, we're probably talking 2 more years before a $400 pc comes anywhere near the currently $400 360 unit for shear processing power and gpu throughput.

even a $5k pc falls short on the processing power.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:26 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know the res - my 18 month old radeon and 18 month old athlon 64 both do far cry at 1920 x 1200 (just about)

I know this is a console thread - I started it, I am definitely into the gameplay aspect of consoles, I was merely highlighting that the marketing that sony has put out implying that the PS3 is the best thing available period is wrong....
The point is if you have a powerfull pc gaming rig there is little point in buying a powerfull console gaming to play games of the same genres. The Wii is the lowest spec of all the machines but it is going to feature unique gameplay that you will not get anywhere else.

Even if sony can truthfully say it is the best thing available the PC will soon win back that crown due to it's upgrade capability, with quad core around the corner and SLI/Xfire graphics configurations.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:30 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
The point is if you have a powerfull pc gaming rig there is little point in buying a powerfull console gaming to play games of the same genres. The Wii is the lowest spec of all the machines but it is going to feature unique gameplay that you will not get anywhere else.

Even if sony can truthfully say it is the best thing available the PC will soon win back that crown due to it's upgrade capability, with quad core around the corner and SLI/Xfire graphics configurations.

Completely agree, i'm looking forward to looking like a complete nonce prancing around the living room with a Wee controller...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:34 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree, i'm looking forward to looking like a complete nonce prancing around the living room with a Wee controller...
Like I said, just wait until they release a star wars lightsaber game! The wiimote even has a built in speaker for the sound effects.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:38 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that sony's marketting is simply bad... but its doing its job and getting people buzzed.

pc's are still WAY behind 360 & ps3, we're probably talking 2 more years before a $400 pc comes anywhere near the currently $400 360 unit for shear processing power and gpu throughput.

even a $5k pc falls short on the processing power.
OK, a $800 PC (not a $400 admittedly) can easily do 1080p in the latest games, but you said the consoles have problems pushing 1080p?

Whats the explanation if they have so much processing power and gpu thoughput? I'm interested to hear it from a programmer perspective....

And i really think the $5000 claim cannot be backed up - not with quad core cpus and dual latest gen SLI graphics...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

this isn't the case and the fact that you think it is the case means Sony's PR campaign is working.

HD for games is possible with the new machines only in 720p. The hardware itself CAN output 1080p BUT the pixel throughput required for a 1080p game is double that for a 720p game. Many games right now struggle with running in 720p. There will be VERY few games actually running at 1080p.... I'd hazzard a guess that those we do see will be puzzle games or VERY VERY simple games.

Don't be expecting Ratchet & Clank in 1080p anytime soon.

Further - 360 can do HD exactly the same as sony can... its just that Sony advertise dreams, MS advertise reality; I prefer reality.

Seeing this is a public forum, and we all know who you work for, do you think Sony will be happy at you slagging their new baby off?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Big D
Seeing this is a public forum, and we all know who you work for, do you think Sony will be happy at you slagging their new baby off?
lol - I'm not slagging it off... anyone with ANY amount of sense who wishes to read through their own public docs can find out the information I'm currently discussing.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, a $800 PC (not a $400 admittedly) can easily do 1080p in the latest games, but you said the consoles have problems pushing 1080p?

Whats the explanation if they have so much processing power and gpu thoughput? I'm interested to hear it from a programmer perspective....

And i really think the $5000 claim cannot be backed up - not with quad core cpus and dual latest gen SLI graphics...
pushing 1080p and processing power are not the same thing...1080p is produced by separate hardware and NOT the cpu. Further those pc's are NOT limited to a specific framerate, consoles are and 1080p is 30fps... that a pc costing $800 can output 1080p isn't an issue, that it can output it at playable levels definitely isn't a given.

further, a quad core cpu is still 2 less cores than 360 and 5 "cores" less than ps3, further to that a pc cpu is massively hampered by backwards compatibility meaning its silicon has a large amount of "VERY last gen" hardware to pander to.

in terms of RAW number crunching, the ps3 spe's will beat almost anything on the market right now.. I say almost only because some large scale solutions are obviously faster; home pc's are not.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:16 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I have been trying to follow this thread so I can understand the subject better but yet again I am afraid it is so way over my head
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:18 pm
Slight chance of Showers

pushing 1080p and processing power are not the same thing...1080p is produced by separate hardware and NOT the cpu. Further those pc's are NOT limited to a specific framerate, consoles are and 1080p is 30fps... that a pc costing $800 can output 1080p isn't an issue, that it can output it at playable levels definitely isn't a given.

further, a quad core cpu is still 2 less cores than 360 and 5 "cores" less than ps3, further to that a pc cpu is massively hampered by backwards compatibility meaning its silicon has a large amount of "VERY last gen" hardware to pander to.

in terms of RAW number crunching, the ps3 spe's will beat almost anything on the market right now.. I say almost only because some large scale solutions are obviously faster; home pc's are not.
On numbers it looks impressive but I am not convinced. If the cell is really that good why did Apple ditch IBM for Intel? I am sure that one of IBM's biggest CPU customers would have been given the chance to use cell architecture. What about the Xenon architecture? Also for how many console generations have we heard "Gaming on the PC is dead?" (BTW when ever someone asks me "who is going to win the next gen war?" I respond IBM )

One of the interesting ( and scary) things about PC's now is that the GPU's are getting more powerfull than CPU's. This is in part to not being tied back to the older X86 spec. FoldingAtHome did a recent test with GPU's that showed 30x performance over a CPU. The new nVidia 8 series has been opened up to allow the use of its GPU as a processing unit.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lol - this falls right into where I was about to go next.

the architechture put forward in the cell processor is simple. Produce something that does a job quick, is limited in WHAT it can do and use many of them.

gpu's run shaders, many of them, on small elements on the main chip.

sound familiar?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:23 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I have been trying to follow this thread so I can understand the subject better but yet again I am afraid it is so way over my head
PS3 = Probalby most powerfull machine. Definantly most powerfull console. Also most expensive. Built in Bluray
360 = Still powerfull and graphically impressive. Mid range pricing - also "established" e.g. one year old. Built in DVD HD
Wii = Graphically very similar to Gamecube. Big selling point is unique motion sensing, spatially aware controller, allowing for more "human" games, e.g. In tennis, you swing the controller as if it was a racket.
PC = Easilly upgradeable and best choice for certain types of games ( MMORPG's ( World of Warcraft), Strategy ( Sims, Sim City etc) and FPS (Quake, Doom style games). Technology is updated several times a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.