Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new car suggestions for first time in the US

new car suggestions for first time in the US

Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new car suggestions for first time in the US

I would suggest a Tesla, if you can, much cheaper to run (Full Charge less than $20), no oil/brake pads changes required. Used to be several rebates from the electrical company/local and federal governments.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Costco for tires, I normally get my oil changed at Wal Mart.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I would suggest a Tesla, if you can, much cheaper to run (Full Charge less than $20), no oil/brake pads changes required. Used to be several rebates from the electrical company/local and federal governments.
Until it breaks down due to one of the many manufacturing issues and you're forced to use a Tesla "dealership" to fix it as they don't allow 3rd party mechanics access to parts and documentation.

Not a Tesla hater, I'd like one, but it's not a money saving car.
​​​​​​
Old Dec 31st 2019, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Look at the insurance costs as well.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Costco for tires, I normally get my oil changed at Wal Mart.
I had literally no idea these two places did tyres and oil change respectively,

that includes fitting? Is it a special version of dash of these, I can’t imagine turning up to any and expecting that type of service. Good to know though, thanks...
Old Dec 31st 2019, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
maybe in the future but I’m not totally convinced on the total savings, overall (including cost of vehicle and lack of choice on form factor). It only costs ~ $30 to fill up now and that takes me ~350 miles, maybe more, without a stop, without hassle.
They don’t have break pads?
i like the long range of gas, maybe a hybrid would be an option. Still, cost of serving overall has to account for major works also, which can be high for electric. Increasingly a viable option but isn’t quite there for me yet, in a totally compelling way. Tires need doing either way and oil change isn’t a big ticket item whichever way you look at it. I would have though all cars need breaks and common maintenance, regardless of engine tech.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LouisB
I had literally no idea these two places did tyres and oil change respectively,

that includes fitting? Is it a special version of dash of these, I can’t imagine turning up to any and expecting that type of service. Good to know though, thanks...
I use regular tires they have on sale, ps spelling it with a y seriously complicates search options. Never had any issues with them not being in stock but usually special ones take a day or so to come in.

Old Dec 31st 2019, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
I use regular tires they have on sale, ps spelling it with a y seriously complicates search options. Never had any issues with them not being in stock but usually special ones take a day or so to come in.
ok sure, thanks. So I don’t mean to sound dumb but... who fits the tires and does the oil change, just a local garage? Or they do fitting? I think autozone might do oil change at premises too, but need to confirm that. In U.K. often there was a supply and fit deal making fitting almost free, but of course that is only worth while if the price on tires is good. I seem to have a very slow leak so just thinking ahead, tread otherwise is decent at the moment. Oil change due in about another 3k Miles.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

ok sure, thanks. So I don’t mean to sound dumb but... who fits the tires and does the oil change, just a local garage? Or they do fitting? I think autozone might do oil change at premises too, but need to confirm that. In U.K. often there was a supply and fit deal making fitting almost free, but of course that is only worth while if the price on tires is good. I seem to have a very slow leak so just thinking ahead, tread otherwise is decent at the moment. Oil change due in about another 3k Miles.
I normally go discount tire - appointment recommended. I get oil change at Valvoline while I sit waiting in the car.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

I think the Costco I use has 8 bays for changing tires, I normally try and time it when they are not too busy as I can be bothered with making an appointment.

The Wal Mart I go to normally has 4 I think, they do tires as well but I prefer Costco for tires, I am always getting nails whatever in my tires and they include free fixing and if they are beyond repair have always been generous with their pro rate guarantee.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure who it's relevant for, but in the last couple of months, Costco has moved to only fitting tires that have been bought at Costco. Not an issue if you're just buying to replace old ones, but it is in Anchorage, where almost everyone uses winter tires and almost everyone is a Costco member.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Our Midas does mine. We get our tyres from DiscountTiresDirect
Old Jan 1st 2020, 12:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of few who always uses their regular mechanic/service station to do my oil change, annual vehicle inspection for NYS, buy my tires, do my brakes, etc.

I prefer going to one place that knows me and knows my car and it is someone I trust with my life.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Truck has all seasons, and I keep chains with me for winter use.

Car, a spare set of wheels with winter tires.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 2:14 pm
Account Closed