Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new car suggestions for first time in the US

new car suggestions for first time in the US

Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default new car suggestions for first time in the US

Hi,

I’m interested to get some thoughts and ideas around getting first car in the US.
I’m a long time driver in the U.K. but since moving to the US have not yet purchased a car.
Naturally that means no driving history in the US and so insurance likely to be a stinger.

Circumstances / requirements are

living in NY, may live in NJ by time car purchased, tbd
have a new baby so need a 4 door
looking for practical, reliable and comfy, but not too boring
insurance friendly for a newcomer
have had my US driving license coming up to 1 year. Hopefully 1 year by time I take insurance.
prefer manual but can live with auto
second hand or new considered, second hand probably nearly new, I.e. 2-3 years old ideal.

probably prefer to buy outright but lease would be considered.

dispite the boring category I quite like the new model Toyota Camry saloon. Also recently hired a Nissan qashqia and it was alright, not bad for the family.

so any thoughts on cars I should consider and insurance to match. Naturally after a couple years I’d upgrade so this is something to serve a purpose and get by, without throwing too much away on insurance premiums.

all ideas greatly received! Thanks.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new car suggestions for first time in the US

Difficult to say without an idea of your budget. Maybe a Honda Accord? My wife loved hers, and was really sad when we decided to replace it with a vehicle with AWD for Alaska. I would also recommend the Ford Fusion, that I had, except I don't think it makes sense to buy a vehicle that's going to be discontinued soon.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I second the Honda Accord. I used to be a Nissan Altima fan, but then I test drove a Honda Accord and never looked back. That's what I have now and plan to continue with in the future.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:06 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

Although I have just bought a Subaru Legacy, the Hyundai Sonata is a nice car as is the Santa Fe, both very reasonably priced. I think Ford are going to be concentrating on trucks in the future so would avoid them for cars.

The Camry and the Accord are in the top 5 most stolen vehicles in the USA, so don't know if that will affect the price of insurance?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, Honda Accord was my alternative to Toyota Camry 2018 model, I actually prefer the Toyota style wise but haven’t driven either yet.

budget, well could be any amount but since insurance is going to curtail my enthusiasm to part with the cash (since it’s unlikely to be the car I really want), I think I’ll keep it within $25k and even better, 20k or less considering used 2-3 year old cars of better spec and low mileage to off the forecourt brand new ones.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StuBear65
Although I have just bought a Subaru Legacy, the Hyundai Sonata is a nice car as is the Santa Fe, both very reasonably priced. I think Ford are going to be concentrating on trucks in the future so would avoid them for cars.

The Camry and the Accord are in the top 5 most stolen vehicles in the USA, so don't know if that will affect the price of insurance?
I guess it might. Is that adjusted for how popular they are?
Not sure if same as U.K. but could fit an immobiliser alarm system to help if that’s the case, perhaps.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:33 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

How tall are you? I only ask as I had a Mazda 3 for a few years from work and it was great but at 6ft 5 it was a bit small for me. Mazda 6 and CX-5 are meant to be pretty decent too.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB

I guess it might. Is that adjusted for how popular they are?
Not sure if same as U.K. but could fit an immobiliser alarm system to help if that’s the case, perhaps.
Those theft figures are just the numerical count. If they were calculated by proportion on the road the list might well be very different.

My OH recently purchased a Toyota Corolla and I am surprised by how good it is as a general run around.
I second Honda Accord and Toyota Camry also.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

toyota 4runner has just about the lowest insurance cost around. So, perhaps a highlander if you want less of an suv and has 7 seats?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The new Honda Civic/Accord interiors are pretty awesome.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Truly dislike Toyota. Have driven then as rentals and now ask for anything but Toyota. Love my Hyundai .... have had the 2001 Elantra, 2006 Sonota, 2013 Elantra. Alarm systems are standard in Hyundai. Daughter still has her 2000 Hyundai Santa Fe on the road and it is on it's second go round ... standing at about 135,000 currently. I'm considering the new 2019 Santa Fe for my next car. My 2013 fully equipped, bluetooth, sirrus radio, heated seats, etc. was $17,250. For insurance, if you buy while still living in Manhattan your rates will be high regardless of the make and model of car but the price will go down when you move to NJ and the car is housed in your homes garage. Try GEICO and Nationwide.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Truly dislike Toyota. Have driven then as rentals and now ask for anything but Toyota. Love my Hyundai .... have had the 2001 Elantra, 2006 Sonota, 2013 Elantra. Alarm systems are standard in Hyundai. Daughter still has her 2000 Hyundai Santa Fe on the road and it is on it's second go round ... standing at about 135,000 currently. I'm considering the new 2019 Santa Fe for my next car. My 2013 fully equipped, bluetooth, sirrus radio, heated seats, etc. was $17,250. For insurance, if you buy while still living in Manhattan your rates will be high regardless of the make and model of car but the price will go down when you move to NJ and the car is housed in your homes garage. Try GEICO and Nationwide.
Rete, what don't you like about Toyota? Even as a BMW driver, I had one for a week recently and was quite impressed with it. Granted they are a bit tinny for the money they command in the US.

W
Old Nov 6th 2018, 10:19 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

since our USA move was not our first international move, we knew how flipping costly the first year(s) can be and knew there would be unexpected costs. As such, we decided to keep ongoing car costs as low as we could. As a family of 5 ( 3 kids but the eldest were teens so adult sized), we realised that we weren't all in both cars all the time, mostly it was a maximum of 4 of us (1 parent 3 kids) going to/from school etc.. Sometimes all going out together locally - about 25 miles away max. We had enough savings to buy 1 car and used IAS to finance a Ford Focus. If all 5 were in either car it was a squeeze but ok for up to an hour or so. When we made longer trips (skiing in New Mexico or camping in the summer) we hired a minivan for about $750-$1000 a week. We saved on the insurance, on car buying costs and car leasing costs.....
After 2 years I sold my car and bought a 4Runner and insurance costs went down - halved IIRC- from the Honda Fit. Basically, it's a really safe car for those in it, the depreciation is amongst the best and it's a great car to drive.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 10:51 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Toyota is the gold standard of vehicles. Yes, they can be boring, like driving an appliance, but Toyota beats out everything in terms of reliability and longevity.
Spend time in Africa or any tough environment - it's 90% Toyota. (Drives VW)
Old Nov 7th 2018, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I would choose the Accord over the Camry. I've owned both - in fact, the only two brand new cars I've ever bought! I was a road warrior, putting 30-40k miles a year on a vehicle.

If I had to choose again, I would go for the Accord.

Now if it's a family vehicle you're looking for, then the CR-V is a great compact SUV which will last a long time and command a good resale value.

Personally, I would steer clear of Kia and Hyundai, especially if you ever want to sell it. They plummet in price much faster than just about anything else out there and the build quality is generally shaky. There's not too many people out there that actually buy a second one.

Ford have some good looking vehicles now and, if you want an SUV, you could do worse than the Escape or the Edge. If you're leaning toward the Japanese cars (more likely to be built in the US anyway!), then I would suggest buying new as opposed to used. They hold their value so well that you'll end up paying almost as much for a second-hand one as you would for a new one, especially when you consider incentives, etc.

One thing not many people realize is that insurance is often cheaper for a new car with leasing being even more expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.