Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving Back to the UK (H1B Holder)

Moving Back to the UK (H1B Holder)

Old Dec 22nd 2019, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Electric_boogaloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving Back to the UK (H1B Holder)

Hi all,

I’m glad to have found this site! I’m currently a UK citizen living and working in the New York (H1B since 2018) but wanting to move back home early next year.

A little background: I was moved over to the USA by the firm I work for in 2017, initially on an H3, and then decided to stay longer and got the H1B and in October 2018 switched to that Visa. The firm has been been restructuring a few things recently and told me my role would likely not be needed much longer, basically giving me a few months to find a new role without firing me.
Given my parents/family live in the UK and aren’t getting any younger, I would like that new role to be back in the UK.

Hence, I want to quit my job in the New Year (once I’ve found something in the UK) and move back to the UK. Unfortunately, I have no idea about the tax/immigration implications of me leaving the US (I moved and invested pretty much all my net worth to the US now) and to further complicate things, I was born outside the UK, so I have been classed as non dom resident in the UK prior to moving to the US.

I plan to get professional accountants and immigration lawyer advice as soon as possible too, but I wanted to ask the community here if they have any advice too, as I barely even know where to start.

My firm has been handling my tax situation since I moved so I just trusted them but it also meant that I never got myself deeply up to speed on things. I know about the not using my US credit card when back in the UK, and setting up new accounts for investment income once I’m moving but other than that, I know nothing, so any starting points would be greatly appreciated...
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 10:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to the UK (H1B Holder)

This might be better served by being moved to the 'Moving back to the UK' section of the forum.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He is in need of advice on US tax implications on his return to the UK. Moving Back to the UK will not help him.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Yes I think this is more of a tax and “things I am not thinking of” (for example visa issues, medical for some reason? Etc) type question. I have family here in the UK, so “culturally” it’s all fine, but I was for example told I can’t move any of my money back to the UK without being taxed additionally on it, which has me worried - I moved all my money (what little amount I had..!) to the US and now not being able to move it back has me worried about rental deposits, etc if I move back before starting any new job. Hence I thought I’d ask people who may have been in a similar situation.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Electric_boogaloo
Yes I think this is more of a tax and “things I am not thinking of” (for example visa issues, medical for some reason? Etc) type question. I have family here in the UK, so “culturally” it’s all fine, but I was for example told I can’t move any of my money back to the UK without being taxed additionally on it, which has me worried - I moved all my money (what little amount I had..!) to the US and now not being able to move it back has me worried about rental deposits, etc if I move back before starting any new job. Hence I thought I’d ask people who may have been in a similar situation.
I don't know where you are getting your information from but you can move your money back without any problem. It will not be taxed. Currency exchange companies like Transferwise (there are several others) are commonly used and, unless you are talking about a large sum, will give you the best value.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Electric_boogaloo
I know about the not using my US credit card when back in the UK
What is the thing here - why should someone not use a US credit card when back in the UK?
I have heard that you should keep no more than 60kUSD (?) in the U.S. after finally leaving - sorry I can't recall why though.

Last edited by chuckles67; Dec 29th 2019 at 11:56 pm. Reason: added a sentence.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chuckles67
What is the thing here - why should someone not use a US credit card when back in the UK?
I have heard that you should keep no more than 60kUSD (?) in the U.S. after finally leaving - sorry I can't recall why though.
I am technically a non-dom, so I believe it has to do with remittance and arising basis of taxation. Another item I’m learning more about but as I understand, once I move here any money gets an additional tax hit from the HMRC (vs just the US) so it behooves one not to do so.

Apprecaite the $60k heads up, I’ll look into that a bit more, have definitely not heard that, especially with a fixed amount of money.

Thanks!