Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New BBC iPlayer: A Question

New BBC iPlayer: A Question

Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New BBC iPlayer: A Question

Originally Posted by lansbury
On iTunes on my desktop there doesn't appear to be an option not to use a credit card. It lets me change to UK but requires a credit card.

I can't do it on the iPad as I have a Cloud Subscription and it requires me to cancel that before I can change country. Cancelling is not an option as I have a lot of City stuff stored in the Cloud account.
http://help.unotelly.com/support/art...thout-a-credit

Unless a update removed the option for "None", it should be on the right of all the payment options.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It would seem crazy that you can set up a credit card free account from an iPad, but not from iTunes.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://help.unotelly.com/support/art...thout-a-credit

Unless a update removed the option for "None", it should be on the right of all the payment options.
Thanks that link explained where I was going wrong. Just creating a new account doesn't bring up the no credit card option, I need to click on the free app first.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
It would seem crazy that you can set up a credit card free account from an iPad, but not from iTunes.
You can, but I think doing it from the device, you're cancelling services first, which you don't when doing it from iTunes, which means you can then log out and in on the device without any issues.

Which for Lansbury was the main issue due to cloud services.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

So do you guys watch stuff on your ipad etc??

I tend to download programs so I can burn them to DVD or transfer to a USB stick to watch on the main system.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
So do you guys watch stuff on your ipad etc??
I watch a tonne of stuff on my ipad. I download a lot of stuff on the iPlayer and 4OD (ITV and 5 don't have a download facility yet) and either watch stuff straight on my ipad or hook the tv up to the ipad and watch it there. I do the same with FilmOn if I want to watch stuff live.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get HD, surround sound etc?
Old Mar 12th 2014, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

I watch most things on my ipad. I do get HD . For surround sound or close to it I recently purchased Bose SL III. Sounds great and works via Bluetooth. Anything the ipad plays once connected plays through Bose
Old Mar 12th 2014, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

On iTunes on my desktop there doesn't appear to be an option not to use a credit card. It lets me change to UK but requires a credit card.

I can't do it on the iPad as I have a Cloud Subscription and it requires me to cancel that before I can change country. Cancelling is not an option as I have a lot of City stuff stored in the Cloud account.
On my laptop (Macbook Air) updated itself when I tested it a few minutes ago, so don't have to do anything on laptop. I might try it for my iPad. Gonna give it a go and see if I'm successful
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

When you download via the iPlayer, you get the choice of normal or high quality downloads. If you choose high quality, I believe it's HD. I only have a sound bar so not sure on the cup surround sound. Also should have mentioned that the 4OD app doesn't work with the video out function on the ipad, so you'd have to watch any channel 4 downloads actually on the ipad.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:57 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

There is also an app called tv catchup that will likely work
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yukichon
There is also an app called tv catchup that will likely work
Doesn't work with a VPN.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I watch a tonne of stuff on my ipad. I download a lot of stuff on the iPlayer and 4OD (ITV and 5 don't have a download facility yet) and either watch stuff straight on my ipad or hook the tv up to the ipad and watch it there. I do the same with FilmOn if I want to watch stuff live.
The Apple TV gadget works pretty well for wirelessly streaming from your ipad to the tv ($75 refurbished from the apple store online). Also, it does pretty much the same stuff as a Roku I think, but only worth getting Apple TV if you have an ipad and regularly want to connect it to the tv as it mirrors what's on the ipad to the tv (so good for photo slideshows too, etc). By the way thanks for the info on accessing the BBC iplayer app. I use a DNS but still hadn't been able to get the iplayer app so just watch stuff straight from the BBC website. So if you download a program is it actually saved to the ipad? Where do you go on the ipad to find the show and start playback?

Last edited by Psyman; Mar 13th 2014 at 3:42 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
So if you download a program is it actually saved to the ipad? Where do you go on the ipad to find the show and start playback?
You play it back from the app, in much the same way as you would with the iPlayer desktop app on a PC.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

You play it back from the app, in much the same way as you would with the iPlayer desktop app on a PC.
OK, so kind of like adding a film to a Netflix queue. It's not actually on your device.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.