Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New BBC iPlayer: A Question

New BBC iPlayer: A Question

Old Mar 11th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default New BBC iPlayer: A Question

Does anyone know how to download the new BBC iplayer? They launched a new iplayer and I can't seem to download it. I use a specific VPN to watch but still can't seem to download?

Finally figured it out. Was able to see new iPlayer and gave it a test run like the new look

Last edited by Brigette; Mar 11th 2014 at 10:22 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 10:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New BBC iPlayer: A Question

My Smart DNS is still working OK, and I download iPlayer and it goes to the new site.

Contact whoever you get the VPN from and tell them.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lansbury
My Smart DNS is still working OK, and I download iPlayer and it goes to the new site.

Contact whoever you get the VPN from and tell them.
It works now. Used an antiquated way to get it but got it none the less. Thanks for the advise
It is not the same as the app as I am still unable to download the new app

Last edited by Brigette; Mar 11th 2014 at 11:24 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:40 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
It works now. Used an antiquated way to get it but got it none the less. Thanks for the advise
It is not the same as the app as I am still unable to download the new app
I never could download the iPad app, but I did download the new desktop program to my PC.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

I never could download the iPad app, but I did download the new desktop program to my PC.
Yeah I have it on my MacBook Air but only have the app on my iPad. Can't even remember now how I got it as it has been so long but as long as I watch I'm not going to complain too much
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

You can only download the iPlayer app from the UK App Store I believe. You'd have to set up a UK based Apple ID to use the UK App Store.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
You can only download the iPlayer app from the UK App Store I believe. You'd have to set up a UK based Apple ID to use the UK App Store.
Which is easy to do and doesn't need a credit card.

For Android, it's just easier to google the APK than to set up a UK account.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Which is easy to do and doesn't need a credit card.
Would you care to explain how.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did this a couple of weeks ago to update my sky go app.
There may be an easier way, but this is how I did it.
First of all, change your App Store to the UK one. Go to SETTINGS then ITUNES AND APP STORE click on your Apple ID, choose VIEW APPLE ID then choose COUNTRY/REGION and change it to UK.
Next log out of your Apple ID on your device.
Go into the UK App Store that should now be available.
Click on any app that is free to download it. You should be prompted to either log in or create a new ID. Simply create an ID and when you get to the bit where it asks you for a credit card simply pick none or not at this time or whatever the exact wording is.
You will need to enter a UK address, and you will need an email address you've previously not used.
That probably sounds complicated, but it really isn't.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:51 pm

Cheers, thought you needed a credit card but I'll give that a go.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Is this for tv as well as radio?
I listen to the Dark Lord every evening
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Is this for tv as well as radio?
I listen to the Dark Lord every evening
Yes it is for TV as well, but for the TV to work you need to have a VPN connection or DNS server so that your device has a UK ip address.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, thought you needed a credit card but I'll give that a go.
Do it on the desktop.

Create new iTunes account, using the UK as the region.

There's a option to not include a credit card.

You do need to get a free app to complete creating the profile, which is handy that the iPlayer is free.

Then on the iPad, go to settings, log out of your iTunes account and log into the UK one, then go to app store and download purchases and there it appears.

Log out, log into regular iTunes and you're sorted.

Though while in the UK iTunes, might as well get ITV and any other UK specific stuff you can think of.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:30 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Another option, and "free", is to have a friend or family member in the UK (with a decent broadband/HSI connection) host a VPN for you.
All you need to do is purchase a Raspberry Pi (around $40 max) and spend about an hour configuring it. Then leave it in their network and access it remotely, no other fees would be needed.

How-to guide here

Last edited by jibsymalone; Mar 12th 2014 at 5:33 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Do it on the desktop.

Create new iTunes account, using the UK as the region.

There's a option to not include a credit card.
On iTunes on my desktop there doesn't appear to be an option not to use a credit card. It lets me change to UK but requires a credit card.

I can't do it on the iPad as I have a Cloud Subscription and it requires me to cancel that before I can change country. Cancelling is not an option as I have a lot of City stuff stored in the Cloud account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.