New Baby

Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Baby

Originally Posted by Toontje
To be pedantic, cosmocgirl asked what she needed to do to get her daughter two passports. And the daughter will not have the british nationality until british authorities are convinced that she has a right to it and will grant her citizenship.

I could claim to be a british citizen, but not until british authorities have acknowledged that, will I be one.
Wrong ... in many instances, acquisition of British citizenship is automatic under the law and you are only applying for evidence of citizenship, not citizenship itself.

A conclusive view of who is and is not a British citizen can only be given by the courts, however the Home Office do try to act within the law ...

There are some instances where a person is not a British citizen automatically and needs to apply for registration with the Home Office.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wrong ... in many instances, acquisition of British citizenship is automatic under the law and you are only applying for evidence of citizenship, not citizenship itself.
Okay. But, hypothetically speaking of course, what happens when the application for evidence is denied?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:24 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Not for the passport.
Right - didn't mean to imply that. I was talking about the paperwork to register the child as British citizen.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough

I have just done this to register the birth of my daughter born a couple of months ago. Here is the info I used:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian1976
I have just done this to register the birth of my daughter born a couple of months ago. Here is the info I used:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/
just noticed it was $107 per copy on top...puck a goose up the arse but that's a tad steep....on the other hand, registration has gone down a bundle in price since our little one was born...still not bothered with it yet though, will do eventually I suppose.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
just noticed it was $107 per copy on top...puck a goose up the arse but that's a tad steep....on the other hand, registration has gone down a bundle in price since our little one was born...still not bothered with it yet though, will do eventually I suppose.
Yep, it's almost $300 once you add up registration, one copy and postage!!

I think you need more documentation once the kid is over 3 months old, that's why I did it so soon after birth.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian1976
I think you need more documentation once the kid is over 3 months old, that's why I did it so soon after birth.
Not really.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not really.
According to the the birth reg application form you need to send hospital notes if you are applying more than three months since baby was born.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Okay. But, hypothetically speaking of course, what happens when the application for evidence is denied?
Not a common occurrence, if the statutory requirements are met. If it does happen and you think their interpretation of the law is wrong, you can ask;

- ask for someone else (supervisor/manager) to review; or
- make a formal appeal to an independent tribunal. Not possible for a denied passport application (because there is no law), but the facility is there if you apply for Right of Abode; or
- go to court.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:42 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
According to the the birth reg application form you need to send hospital notes if you are applying more than three months since baby was born.
Isn't that for cases of adoption?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by gingerert
Isn't that for cases of adoption?
It's if the birth certificate was issued more than 3 months after birth. This includes replacement in the case of loss.

People who wait until later to apply for proof of British citizenship often face terrible problems because US birth certificates issued later than birth are not accepted as evidence of parental relationship, and other evidence such as hospital records is often lost/destroyed/unobtainable.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
That's not quite right.

"*If birth certificate is issued 3 months after the date of birth you will also need to send copies at hospital records."

As JAJ says, it's applicable to a situation where you're using a birth certificate re-print.

I only know this since I'm filling out the paperwork for our daughter... now
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by hobbes79
That's not quite right.

"*If birth certificate is issued 3 months after the date of birth you will also need to send copies at hospital records."

As JAJ says, it's applicable to a situation where you're using a birth certificate re-print.

I only know this since I'm filling out the paperwork for our daughter... now

And that reason for this is that most US states will reissue a birth certificate in case of adoption. When a child is adopted outside the UK, the process for obtaining British citizenship is different and usually requires Home Office registration before age 18.

So a US birth certificate doesn't establish a natural parental relationship (unless printed near the time of birth), hence they want other information.

Which is usually difficult or impossible to obtain later on when records have been lost or destroyed.

The only other option for people in this situation is a. to get something from the state birth registry confirming that there is no adoption on file, and b. apply for a Right of Abode stamp rather than a British passport (because a passport can be refused on a whim with no right of appeal, a Right of Abode stamp cannot).

And yet people still don't want to pay the fee to get a British consular birth certificate straight away, avoids all problems later on.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
And that reason for this is that most US states will reissue a birth certificate in case of adoption. When a child is adopted outside the UK, the process for obtaining British citizenship is different and usually requires Home Office registration before age 18.

So a US birth certificate doesn't establish a natural parental relationship (unless printed near the time of birth), hence they want other information.

Which is usually difficult or impossible to obtain later on when records have been lost or destroyed.

The only other option for people in this situation is a. to get something from the state birth registry confirming that there is no adoption on file, and b. apply for a Right of Abode stamp rather than a British passport (because a passport can be refused on a whim with no right of appeal, a Right of Abode stamp cannot).

And yet people still don't want to pay the fee to get a British consular birth certificate straight away, avoids all problems later on.
Thanks for the info. That explains that then. Glad I went ahead and got it done regardless of my reservations about the fees!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.