New Baby

Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

cosmicgirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Baby

I know this question has been asked probably a million times. But anyway I am having a baby girl on March 1st and wonder what we need to do to get her a US passport and also a British one so that she has dual nationality.

My other question is when we then travel back to the UK and we have UK passports and she just has a US which immigration line do we go through??
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Baby

by being born here she will be a US citizen so just apply for her US passport at the post office like any other US citizen. She can apply for a UK passport at the washington embassy - it can also be useful to register the birth with the consulate too and get a consular birth cert for her. You can actually get that done at the same time of the uk passport.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

After you are done with the delivery, you'll get a packet of materials from the hospital in your recovery room. Usually included in this is a form for the filing of a birth certificate in your city. You fill this out (in some cases the nurse does) and they send it in automatically to create a birth certificate. There is also usually a checkbox you can tick to get the Social Security Card at the same time (recommended, as you cannot claim the tax deduction for the kid without it).

About 2-4 weeks later you'll get the birth certificate and the ss card. If you are in a rush you can goto your country clerks office and get a copy of the birth certificate in an expedited fashion.

Once you have that, head to Walmart or CVS and get some passport pictures. Remember--this passport will stay with them for 5 years so you might not want to get the picture the first week when they are all puffy, etc.

With the picture, birth certificate, passport application, a checkbook, your passport / id AND your husband's, the THREE of you need to then go to a Post Office that accepts passport applications (there is a process you can go through if your hubby can't make it that day but it is annoying). The post office will verify all the documents / pictures, take a check from you and send off the info to the passport office. 4-6 weeks later you should get the passport in the mail.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl33
I know this question has been asked probably a million times. But anyway I am having a baby girl on March 1st and wonder what we need to do to get her a US passport and also a British one so that she has dual nationality.

My other question is when we then travel back to the UK and we have UK passports and she just has a US which immigration line do we go through??
She can go with you through UK/Euro immigration.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl33
... I am having a baby girl on March 1st and wonder what we need to do to get her a US passport and also a British one so that she has dual nationality.
To be pedantic, you don't need to do anything to ensure that "she has dual nationality". She will have dual nationality the moment she's born. If, however, you want proof of that, well... the others have given you good advice.

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To be pedantic, you don't need to do anything to ensure that "she has dual nationality". She will have dual nationality the moment she's born. If, however, you want proof of that, well... the others have given you good advice.

Ian
To be pedantic, cosmocgirl asked what she needed to do to get her daughter two passports. And the daughter will not have the british nationality until british authorities are convinced that she has a right to it and will grant her citizenship.

I could claim to be a british citizen, but not until british authorities have acknowledged that, will I be one.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
I could claim to be a british citizen, but not until british authorities have acknowledged that, will I be one.
I'm pretty sure you'd be blackballed.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'm pretty sure you'd be blackballed.
So am I.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:02 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Have been looking at this too as I'm 16 weeks preggo. Definitely want the child to have a British passport as well.

This link might help:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...ritishcitizen/
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:00 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Have been looking at this too as I'm 16 weeks preggo. Definitely want the child to have a British passport as well.

This link might help:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...ritishcitizen/
That's so helpful! Thanks TracyTN!

Apparently Little O is already a British Citizen by descent:

"British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent."

Whoooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo!! I think a little application to the passport office may now be in order...

(Sorry to hijack but that news just made my day. )
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

This tread has reminded me that I've got to get my nipper her British passport too. I'll try to send off the paperwork this weekend I think. I better get her USA one sorted too. Hoping to take her on her first trip to England in a few months.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:25 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gingerert
That's so helpful! Thanks TracyTN!

Apparently Little O is already a British Citizen by descent:

"British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent."

Whoooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo!! I think a little application to the passport office may now be in order...

(Sorry to hijack but that news just made my day. )
Yep - just need to send off that paperwork. If I recall correctly, it must be done by the baby's 18th birthday.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

About 2-4 weeks later you'll get the birth certificate and the ss card. If you are in a rush you can goto your country clerks office and get a copy of the birth certificate in an expedited fashion.
That's pretty cool, in MA, you've got to go to your town hall and pay for a copy of the birth certificate, they don't send you an original copy. But you can go get it within 10 days usually.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Yep - just need to send off that paperwork. If I recall correctly, it must be done by the baby's 18th birthday.
Not for the passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.