New Arrival

Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Arrival

Originally Posted by KarinaJayne
Could well have been a bad call!
Not really, even if you don't pull it off. You might not get the luck factor -- and that is a big one even with people whose status is sorted.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

KarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sarah
Umm...don't think your degree will be of that big a help to be honest. The french thing might be a bonus if you were in Montreal. Are you looking to emigrate over here permanently, or just have a summer of fun and see what happens? If you're looking for professional experience with the chance of something else, I would've thought doing an internship would've been a better idea.
www.mountbatten.org

The Mountbatten programme looks really interesting and I'll definitely be looking into it further. Thanks very much for forwarding the link, much appreciated
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

KarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not really, even if you don't pull it off. You might not get the luck factor -- and that is a big one even with people whose status is sorted.

That's true, it's all experience and all that. If all else fails I'll just have to get married!!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob. It's not going well so far, but I'll have to keep trying. I looked into the OPT and J-1 thing before I left, but thought it would be better to be out here and just go for it. Could well have been a bad call! I studied in the UK at Sheffield Hallam Uni and graduated last June with a BA (hons) International Business with French. I have some international experience from studying and working in France, do you think that will be of any help at all? Appreciate your help by the way
Internships tend to be unpaid btw....and frog speak, errr, down south, orleans like, could be handy, or business use, but spanish would be better.

Being in CT, probably SOL as there's sod all out there, but if your near Maine, there's a Pratt and Whittney (sp?) place, they might want someone that can do languages for international business deals, wouldn't have a clue, security ain't up to much that's for sure. But if languages are your thing, your best bet would be to commute into Boston and work there, plenty of financial houses that might need a language connection.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Internships tend to be unpaid btw....and frog speak, errr, down south, orleans like, could be handy, or business use, but spanish would be better.

Being in CT, probably SOL as there's sod all out there, but if your near Maine, there's a Pratt and Whittney (sp?) place, they might want someone that can do languages for international business deals, wouldn't have a clue, security ain't up to much that's for sure. But if languages are your thing, your best bet would be to commute into Boston and work there, plenty of financial houses that might need a language connection.

That's the problem, I can't afford to work for nothing cos I need a car/apt etc... Not really looking to play on the language thing, as I've found most places want Spanish rather than French.
Ironically my boyfriend works at P & W in East Hartford! He's asked there and no one seems interested. I've had some interest from sending out my CV, but no-one will do the sponsorship that I need.
I'll just keep trying and cross my fingers!! Thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's the problem, I can't afford to work for nothing cos I need a car/apt etc... Not really looking to play on the language thing, as I've found most places want Spanish rather than French.
Ironically my boyfriend works at P & W in East Hartford! He's asked there and no one seems interested. I've had some interest from sending out my CV, but no-one will do the sponsorship that I need.
I'll just keep trying and cross my fingers!! Thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated
Aye, well that's the thing, most visa's you have to show that you can afford to live out here for the duration etc, so you'll be lucky to find a paid internship, might get expensives but they have no reason to pay when they can get some phleb in for basically nothing.
How far are you from Bath? I know that place is taking a dive with all the military pulling out, but there's still some work with people trying to flog stuff abroad, so you might have some luck for the short term at least.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, well that's the thing, most visa's you have to show that you can afford to live out here for the duration etc, so you'll be lucky to find a paid internship, might get expensives but they have no reason to pay when they can get some phleb in for basically nothing.
How far are you from Bath? I know that place is taking a dive with all the military pulling out, but there's still some work with people trying to flog stuff abroad, so you might have some luck for the short term at least.

Yeah, I had to do that to get my B-2, but there's only so long you can last!! Where's Bath? I'm in Manchester, CT not too far from Hartford. Don't really know the area at all.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yeah, I had to do that to get my B-2, but there's only so long you can last!! Where's Bath? I'm in Manchester, CT not too far from Hartford. Don't really know the area at all.
border town in maine to new hampshire....but new hampshire is tiny, the nipple state, so your not that far from anywhere really
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:24 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

That's true, it's all experience and all that. If all else fails I'll just have to get married!!
I've heard that somewhere before.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
I've heard that somewhere before.

I'm sure you have. The options are just so limited to be able to stay in the country, and it's difficult to find a job when you need a visa, so it's an avenue for investigation.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:15 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Is someone not liable to have their B2 revoked if they are actively seeking employment in the US ???

Good point- it would make much more sence to activly pursue some fat ugly american woman....get the GC, get a job, get perm GC...get divorced.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ironporer
Good point- it would make much more sence to activly pursue some fat ugly american woman....get the GC, get a job, get perm GC...get divorced.

Thanks for the priceless advice. I already have an American (neither fat nor ugly incidentally!), but I was hoping to be able to find a job rather than get married cos I'm only young and scared of all things "mature"!