Reload this Page >

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

I know quite a few non Citizens.

None work in agriculture, in Colorado the favourites are Construction/Landscaping and Service industries, Restaurants, Hotels and the like.

Many are doing very nicely thank you, you have a misconception of the money that can be earned.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

None work in agriculture, in Colorado the favourites are Construction/Landscaping and Service industries, Restaurants, Hotels and the like.

Many are doing very nicely thank you, you have a misconception of the money that can be earned.
How do you know they are illegal? The great majority of Latinos that work in the US are legal (about 46 million compared to about 10 million illegals). Are you one of those people like AZ cops that can spot illegals by the way they dress or act?

Even the Latino legals are at the low end of the economic ladder and would likely work in low skilled industries such as Construction/Landscaping and Service industries, Restaurants, Hotels and the like.

As far as construction in Califronia, most are day labors because it would be very difficult to get into a union as an illegal. The same is generally true for hotels but some smaller ones may be easier for illegals to get hired. As far as resturants, the better ones are generally for legal workers but the smaller ones may be easier for an illegal to get a job.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 26th 2010 at 12:51 am.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:04 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Michael - one thing that has been consistent throughout your recent posts is that you appear to be unaware of the difference between smuggled persons and victims of human trafficking.

I say "appear" because, frankly, I find it astonishing that anybody could pontificate about minutiae as you do, yet be blind to such a glaringly obvious distinction.

I don't know if you're a shill for the democrat party or an old Stalinist missing his glory days, but I do know this. You're not right, son.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:39 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
the current $20 billion farm subsidy so that farmers could sell their products on the worlds markets (currently the number 1 export in the US)
That's $65 per American per annum to enable inefficient producers of protected goods to sell their surplus abroad.

Meanwhile, if labor prices got so high that it threatened farms' viability, then there would just be increased mechanisation. In Australia, for instance, a lot of grape picking for wine and dried fruits is now done mechanically instead of by hand because it's cheaper and quicker to rent a machine for 48 hours to do everything than have teams of guys picking everything over the course of three weeks.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You may be right.

Besides the above table which reflects the percentage of jobs in each industry held by illegal immigrants, the following is the percentage of the total immigrants in different industries. The estimated number of illegal workers for each industry is based on 8.3 million total illegal workers.

Construction 14% (1,160,000 workers)
Agriculture 13% (1,080,000 workers)
Leisure & Hospitality 10% (830,000 workers)
Professional & Business Services 7% (580,000 workers)
Manufacturing 7% (580,000 workers)

The following are the states with the largest population of illegal immigrants.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1190/por...igrants-states

Last edited by Michael; Apr 26th 2010 at 8:18 am.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

How do you know they are illegal? The great majority of Latinos that work in the US are legal (about 46 million compared to about 10 million illegals). Are you one of those people like AZ cops that can spot illegals by the way they dress or act?

Even the Latino legals are at the low end of the economic ladder and would likely work in low skilled industries such as Construction/Landscaping and Service industries, Restaurants, Hotels and the like.

As far as construction in Califronia, most are day labors because it would be very difficult to get into a union as an illegal. The same is generally true for hotels but some smaller ones may be easier for illegals to get hired. As far as resturants, the better ones are generally for legal workers but the smaller ones may be easier for an illegal to get a job.
I never mentioned illegals.

But you are right, they could all be here on H1 and L1 visas's and are keeping a low profile.

The vast majority of the people who wok in the trades I listed do not belong to Unions. I do not know about CA, but Unions here are mainly Gov jobs. Teachers etc.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Around here, quite a lot of illigals, hop the fench proper illegals at that, use one valid SSN and share it quite easily, usually what happens, someone with that number gets a job, quits after a week and someone else uses the number to get the job, rinse and repeat so that the number is on the up but you don't report that people have left the job.

We're not talking some small two bit family shop here either, it's what a major clothing retailer does, one that most people will have bought stuff from.

Plenty of legal immigrants from South America around my parts too, mostly Brazilian, student visas or J1's, they come over, work, but no one seems to notice that they are working every hour of every day? Naaa....people turn a blind eye when they have their mates who are on the dodge working after they are at the same place.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They do most definitely. My favorite busman at the neighborhood restaurant I frequent has gone home to Mexico with his wife and children because they were able to save enough in their years here to buy a farm.

The one's I see up here in Westchester are driving big old ass brand new trucks and SUV's the likes of which I would not want to pay the monthly loan on. Yes, that is only the top of the bunch and there are many who live day to day and hand to mouth but even by living that way, they are still sending money back to their own country for their families.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:32 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

I support the new law.

As someone who has gone through significant stress and worry about jumping through the hoops to obtain a L2 visa, extend it, keep my job during the recession so not to get deported, and finally obtain my green card, it is simply wrong that those who decide to bypass legal process should not be dealt with and punished like other law breakers are.

My understanding is the new state law mirrors already existing federal law, so I don't see what there is to talk about here. Is this not the case?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
I support the new law.

As someone who has gone through significant stress and worry about jumping through the hoops to obtain a L2 visa, extend it, keep my job during the recession so not to get deported, and finally obtain my green card, it is simply wrong that those who decide to bypass legal process should not be dealt with and punished like other law breakers are.

My understanding is the new state law mirrors already existing federal law, so I don't see what there is to talk about here. Is this not the case?
I support what you said.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I support the new law.My understanding is the new state law mirrors already existing federal law, so I don't see what there is to talk about here. Is this not the case?
The problem with the new law is that Immigration is a Federal matter and not a State one. Federal law usually trumps State law. In addition allowing local cops to act as Federal ICE agents maybe unconstitutional. There is also the issue of personal liberty. You could be stopped and arrested on "reasonable suspicion" you are illegal even though you haven't done anything. It makes it a crime to look illegal in effect. How many US Citizens carry ID to prove their citizenship at all times? How does a AZ cop know who is illegal simply by looking at them?

The UK used to have "sus" laws which amounted to a stop and search law based on "reasonable suspicion". It was often used on minority groups who looked "suspicious" and helped to spark the famous early 1980s race riots.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 3:12 am
Account Closed

I was listening to the Rev Jackson's radio programme on Sunday (the most racist radio show?), mentioned that the black caucus is in favour of the new law.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I support the new law.

I agree with the last sentence but disagree with this new law. I just don't see this as an effective way of dealing with the problem (prosecute the flippin' employers who employ illegals...) and it will inevitably lead to the kind of racial profiling that, as someone else pointed out, happened under the UK's "sus" laws. Bad attempt at addressing a real problem.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:22 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brit3964
The problem with the new law is that Immigration is a Federal matter and not a State one. Federal law usually trumps State law. In addition allowing local cops to act as Federal ICE agents maybe unconstitutional. There is also the issue of personal liberty. You could be stopped and arrested on "reasonable suspicion" you are illegal even though you haven't done anything. It makes it a crime to look illegal in effect. How many US Citizens carry ID to prove their citizenship at all times? How does a AZ cop know who is illegal simply by looking at them?
Aren't people arrested on reasonable suspicion of crimes all the time? Isn't that normally what happens, the police suspect someone of committing a crime, and arrest them?

Regarding how does an AZ cop know who is illegal simply by looking at them, it seems that is impossible since racially profiling is specifically not allowed, so I'm very interested to hear how the officers will be trained. Assuming a scenario beginning with a police officer pulling someone over for some traffic offence, maybe the answers given to routine questions may give suspicion about a person's immigration status.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:28 am
Grumpy Member

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I agree with the last sentence but disagree with this new law. I just don't see this as an effective way of dealing with the problem (prosecute the flippin' employers who employ illegals...) and it will inevitably lead to the kind of racial profiling that, as someone else pointed out, happened under the UK's "sus" laws. Bad attempt at addressing a real problem.
I thought a new state law was introduced a couple of years ago to do just that. Is it working? I don't really hear much about it on the news anymore. I thought it was a great step in the right direction, since stopping the very reasons that make an illegal immigrant's life better here, rather than in their homeland is the answer. So preventing employment and restricting services seem like good targets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.